Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
groobie Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Wow - the opening ceremony was spectacular! Best luck to the competitors, and I hope everyone around the world enjoys cheering on their countrymen and the spirit of the games. smile1

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Features Writer
Features Writer
I KNOW - It blew me away. So many great moments. So much symbolism (my fave was the wall and the people waving), so much visual perfection. I was literally gasping a lot of the time. I can't wait until it hits one of the video websites and I get to watch it again! Good luck to everyone!

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Sorry to sound a sour note laugh , but every time I see the Birds Nest stadium all I can think of are the poor homeless Chinese! mad

I hear that the Chinese authorities aim is that these Olympics should last in the memory for generations to come.

I'm certainly sure that those poor people who were forcibly evicted, had their homes demolished to make way for the stadium being built, and are now living homeless, without any compensation, will remember it for years to come... razz

A few fireworks just don't compensate for such cruelty for this viewer, I'm afraid. frown

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Features Writer
Features Writer
Are there any schedules posted as to when certain events will be televised? I'm only interested in a couple of events(archery and show jumping<horses>), so I'd like to be able to know when to tune in.

TEEEEEJ

PS: hadn't heard that about the Chinese government taking peoples' land to build the site. That really is horrible. Big government, whaddya gonna do? huh

Jayne Cobb: Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something RIGHT!
Columnist
Columnist
Sorry to sound a sour note , but every time I see the Birds Nest stadium all I can think of are the poor homeless Chinese!

I hear that the Chinese authorities aim is that these Olympics should last in the memory for generations to come.

I'm certainly sure that those poor people who were forcibly evicted, had their homes demolished to make way for the stadium being built, and are now living homeless, without any compensation, will remember it for years to come...

A few fireworks just don't compensate for such cruelty for this viewer, I'm afraid.
Well said Labby, I didn't watch the ceremony in my own simple protest. Our national news has covered several families that had their homes taken away. The follow up stories have been heartbreaking to see so many of these very old people living in hovels with nothing left.

I can't think that China is anything but the big bully.

groobie Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Are there any schedules posted as to when certain events will be televised?
If you go to the NBC Olympics home page , there is a link on the right-hand side where you can put in your cable/satellite provider and it will show you all of the events and when/what channel they will air for your location (I assume this is just for the US, though).

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Features Writer
Features Writer
Yeah that and the Tibet situation kinda set my teeth on edge, I admit my initial discomfort. The ceremony was more than a few fireworks though. To me, it was a stunning celebration of Chinese culture for the world, one that people had been eagerly expecting. I don't want to take that away from them or downplay its significance, even though yes, the dark side, the cost in these terms, is worth thinking about.

I take a very pragmatic approach in that all governments at one point or another have done similarly despicable things in the name of the latest money venture or worse. That is not to downplay the horror and abuse, but to single out the Chinese would make me feel like a hypocrite. I find China is no more a bully than any other country with the resources to be.

So while these dark sides are deplorable, they are most often there than not. I don't believe in throwing out the baby with the bathwater. There'd be little left if we did.

alcyone

groobie Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
I suspected when I posted something about the Olympics, I might generate some political disagreement. Certainly the question of human rights violations by the Chinese governemnt is a difficult one. But so is the question of the effectiveness of political pressure by outsiders to bring about internal change.

My husband lived in Taiwain for a year and mainland China for 6 months (in Tianjin). His view is that many people calling for boycotts or political demonstrations do not understand the culture of government in China and the fact that such protests would likely backfire. I found this article that presents a similiar point of view.

Many cities that have hosted major international events have been criticized by the way they have treated the homeless. Roundups of destitute people to "clean up the city" have been done countless times in America and around the world. I am not in favor of this policy; I am suggesting that China is not unique for having had the same policy towards the homeless population of Beijing. I also found this article about the effect that Olympic Games in recent years have had on housing issues in the host cities.

I did not support the US boycott of the Moscow games because I believe it held no tangible political value and only hurt the athletes who had trained so hard for the competition. I was embarrased by the glorification of US wins in the LA games, knowing full well that some of the best competition was absent. So I try to set aside political considerations for the duration of the games, and instead celebrate the personal successes of atheltes from around the world. I hope that the example of joining together with others in peace through healthy athletic competion serves as a greater example for how the governments of the world should interact.

Top Banana
Top Banana
I, for one, am really sorry to see that The Olympics have turned from a truly nice sporting event into a political something. The Olympics stand about something. They are for atlethes to come together and play against each other. Or, as Pierre de Coubertin once said, participating is more important than winning.

So all that show around the Games... not really my cup of tea. Big waste of money as well.

But what I hate even more is that The Olympics are mostly about winning. How many medals will we win? Will we make it in the top 10 this year? Of course I'm proud when we do win a medal. We have our first medal (bronze in judo) and that's excellent. (I'm kinda prejudiced here, I used to play judo and I know this guy personally). I like that he won one. Like I'll enjoy seeing other atlethes who aren't well know already win a medal. Because they manage to do something extraordinary in the atmosphere of the Olympic Games.

Don't even get me started on the drugs...

So to me, the games are about sport. Playing, participating, having fun, doing your best. The incredible opening show doesn't add to that. I get that some show is needed for all of those who aren't like me (I'm fanatical when it comes to sport wink ), but China went over the top.

Saskia smile

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
Columnist
Columnist
The opening Ceremony are truly my least favorite part of the games. I am happy when the games are on and you can see all the training and effort these men and women have put into getting to the games.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Opening ceremony was *spectacular*. I particularly loved seeing the seemingly perfect circles of people doing Tai Chi. Just lovely!

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
TEAM USA BEATS JAPAN IN WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL! YAAAAY!

I love volleyball. As a former high school and college player, I looooved watching Team USA win, especially after tragedy struck the olympic volleyball community this weekend.

Seriously though, it was such a good game. The tallest player on their team is 6'7". She's a beast.

Did anyone catch the fencing? Can someone please explain to me why they scream bloody murder after every point?

Thanks to Cat for my rockin' avatar!
++++
(About Lois & Clark)
Perry: Son, you just hit the bulls eye. It's like we're supporting characters in some TV show and it's only about them.
Jimmy: Yeah! It's like all we do is advance their plots.
Perry: To tell you the truth, I'm sick of it.
Jimmy: Man, me too!
groobie Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Can someone please explain to me why they scream bloody murder after every point?
Seriously! I said to my husband, are they really being stabbed?! dizzy The fact that I was even watching fencing is funny enough - because it's the Olympics, I'll watch anything that's on. I was watching badmitton at 1am...how bizzare is that?! I got really into the men's road race - the top 6 people all finished a cycling race that lasted over 6 hours with a seperation of less than a second. I just feel horrible for #6 - how can he go home and say that the guy who got the gold was so much better than him when they were less than a second apart?!

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I too think it is sad that the Olympics gets smothered by the politics of the situation. It should be a time to celebrate the unity of all the countries.. and watch countries we hardly see mention of compete against the giant powerhouse nations... I love backing the underdog.

As much as I can appreciate the sentiments of those who are horrified by what the government has done, this is also a time where the chinese people are allowed to celebrate, and showcase the beautiful (and often hidden) country they live in... and why not educate the world on it's beauty, culture and art! (and maybe a bit of it's pollution too!! wink )

Having said that, I don't think a lot of the chinese people here understand all the sports and what they are about.. I am sure everyone heard about the people leaving the equestrian dressage or falling asleep. Further to that, they have had to run a cartoon series using the mascots to teach people what each sport is... it's mildly amusing.

Over all though... being in the Olympic co-host city at the moment, the people (rich and poor - for there is a great divide(and I don't think anyone here would deny that)) are out there cheering on their team(s).. the homeless and poor have been sitting in some of the venues where the big screens are set up watching and cheering.. it's nice to see....
The other thing I like is that all the tv channels here (and there are at least 4 showing the olympics) show all the teams in the events being telecast... they don't just focus on the local Hong Kong and China competitors. (Something that doesn't happen in Australia where you generally only see the australians in action and a few peripherals).
We've met 3 of the 5 Olympic mascots in our outings thus far... and honestly.. people love it... locals and tourists alike line up for photos and to say hi and be a part of something like this.

I'm lucky.. this is my second Olympics (I lived in Sydney during the 2000 Olympics).. and they are just as much fun... different country... same attitude... I think that's got to be a good thing.

"He's my best friend, best of all best friends
Do you have a best friend too
It tickles in my tummy
He's so Yummy Yummy
Hey you should get a best friend too" - Toy Box
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
It seems that the ceremony was less impressive than it appeared. What a thing to do to a child and how sad that she's been so indoctrinated that she thinks it was an okay thing to do to her because the country is all and the individual matters no more than a bug. frown

China Olympic ceremony star mimed

A pretty girl who won national fame after singing at the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games was only miming.

Wearing a red dress and pigtails, Lin Miaoke charmed a worldwide audience with a rendition of “Ode to the Motherland”.

But the singer was Yang Peiyi, who was not allowed to appear because she is not as "flawless" as nine-year-old Lin.

The show's musical director said Lin was used because it was in the best interests of the country.

The revelation follows news that a fireworks display used during the opening ceremony was apparently faked.

Speaking on Beijing Radio station, musical director Chen Qigang said the organisers needed a girl with both a good image and a good voice.

They faced a dilemma because although Lin was prettier, seven-year-old Yang had the better voice, Mr Chen said.

"After several tests, we decided to put Lin Miaoke on the live picture, while using Yang Peiyi's voice," he told the radio station.

"The reason for this is that we must put our country's interest first," he added.

"The girl appearing on the picture must be flawless in terms of her facial expression and the great feeling she can give to people."

Singer Lin, who is being called the "smiling angel", has already become a media celebrity because of her performance.

She told state-run China Daily that she felt "so beautiful" in the red dress she wore during the performance.

Her dad told the newspaper that she already had fans all over the country.

According to Chinese news reports, Yang said she did not regret the decision. "I'm satisfied to have had my voice in the opening ceremony," she said.

This is the second "fake" story about the opening ceremony

Viewers around the world saw a display in which 29 firework "footprints" travelled across Beijing from south to north.

But a senior official from the Beijing organising committee (Bocog) confirmed on Tuesday that footage of the display had been produced before the big night.

This was provided to broadcasters for "convenience and theatrical effects", according to Wang Wei, Bocog's executive vice-president.

"Because of poor visibility, some previously recorded footage may have been used," he told a daily press conference.
LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Beijing opening

Interesting, interesting.

Linked an article on the fireworks and the girl singing from the Telegraph in case anyone wants to read. Pictures and quotes and all that good stuff. Apparently, the politburo didn't decide on the swap until just before the show. They freely gave information on both the fireworks and the singer, and the singer will get her credit. It's still pretty badass to be the 7 year old that sang for the Olympics, and I will leave my opinion right at that 1 positive doorstep and go no further. wink

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Features Writer
Features Writer
Part of me wonders (as usual) if all this outrage isn't largely culture-bound. Different cultures have different ways of mapping the individual's relationship to society. That's just how it goes. Also the idea of perfection being tainted by artifice is not something universal. All of that said, the gymnastics thing is messed up.

alcyone (who wonders how Japan would have reacted to Milli Vanilli laugh )

Top Banana
Top Banana
Different cultures have different ways of mapping the individual's relationship to society.
The Borg rule!

sorry -- couldn't resist laugh

ps - loved the goosestep by those lovely soldiers at the end of the opening ceremonies. So chillingly evocative. Although I'm aware that's a western spin on symbolism and likely one that those who planned, choreographed (Busby Berkley lives!) and co-ordinated the opening ceremonies perhaps were uniformed about.

c.

c.

Features Writer
Features Writer
Although I'm aware that's a western spin on symbolism and likely one that those who planned, choreographed (Busby Berkley lives!) and co-ordinated the opening ceremonies perhaps were uniformed about.
Hmm. Maybe we should have asked them to submit the plan to us beforehand? You know, just to make sure nothing gets misinterpreted.

laugh

Top Banana
Top Banana
You know, just to make sure nothing gets misinterpreted.
I know from friends who work in our foreign affairs dept that we are always concerned about how the details of our events may be perceived by others, and that we take great care to be respectful of differing cultural and historical experiences (diplomacy!), but of course it's not possible to be on top of everything. It may be too that we in Canada are more concerned about such things that other nations are. Also, I know that the goosestep is still used by the military in some countries. North Korea, for one. Does Russia still? etc.

China has a huge message to deliver to the world and no one can failed to be touched by the contrast between China in 1949 and today. It's an impressive achievement. (a Great Leap Forward <eg> - have to suppress this urge to pun about)

Nevertheless, to choose to end the opening ceremonies with a military gesture was, I thought, interesting. Trying to remember if that has been the pattern at the last few opening ceremonies. Perhaps someone knows?
c.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard