Page 1 of 2 1 2
#216946 05/24/08 01:56 PM
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
I'm bored [sort of, at the moment] and I'm sure Jenn is too wink [or will be soon] so...

If money [and time] were no object - what are the top ten [don't have a top 10? 5 will work - or whatever] places in the world you would visit?

Would you climb Mt. Everest? Would you move to Paris for a few months and venture into the European countryside? The Andes? Sydney? Borneo [I hear they have a good Gazette wink ]? Skiing in Dubai? The Pyramids?

Where would you go - and why if so inclined?

Since I'm a US resident, I'm thinking 'overseas' [or at least out of the country] for me, but anywhere in the US/North America is certainly fair game?

Who's up first? I'm not sure what my top ten are so I'm going to read then answer wink .

Carol

#216947 05/24/08 02:04 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Alaska! You have to visit Alaska!

(If you don't want to go overseas, but want a sorta kinda taste of Europe, you could visit Montréal, or Québec, btw. It's nice and old and... French. wink )

...not going to do top 10, cause I've barely been anywhere, really.

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
#216948 05/24/08 02:11 PM
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Okay - I haven't been much of anywhere either - but where would you *want* to go if time and money were no object?

And Alaska is on my list wink .
Carol

#216949 05/24/08 02:38 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Only ten??? Let's see if I can narrow this down at all (in no particular order).

1. Italy
2. Ireland
3. Spain
4. Japan
5. Australia
6. Antarctica

Stateside, I'll include the places I've never been that are most pressing on my list. I've done a fair bit of traveling, but believe it or not, I've never been to these places!

7. New York City
8. Seattle
9. Hawaii
10. Alaska (Have to agree here; I've seen pictures and it looks incredible)

#216950 05/24/08 03:02 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
[...]where would you *want* to go if time and money were no object?
Oh! ...okay, I had totally read your post wrong. LOL! /is a bit on the brain-dead side...

In no particular order:

1) Ireland (because it seems gorgeous)
2) The pyramids in Egypt (just cause the mind totally boggles at those)
3) Australia (for no other reason than I've dreamed of going there since I was a kid)
4) Monaco (..during the Formula 1 Grand Prix!)
5) Vancouver (might sound odd, but my aunt lived and died there and I'd like to see it...)
6) Vienna (so I could see an opera)
7) Prague (for the opera, as well)

I can't really think of anywhere else, I'd want to go. Oh! I'd like to see Kansas, just for kicks. hehehe!

But, frankly, to me the most interesting places to visit are the places where my friends live -- like Arizona, Colorado, Alaska, Washington, or Germany for instance.

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
#216951 05/24/08 04:57 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
1. Lacoste, France for a month or two to paint
2. Waikiki Beach to surf and lay in the sun
3. British Columbia--rafting is so killer there. It's great to laugh in the face of death.
4. Rome just because I love romping around there.
5. Barbados--another surf 'n' sun place

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#216952 05/24/08 05:37 PM
Z
Columnist
Columnist
Z
1 See the Northern Lights once and for all.

2 Nigara Falls

3 Revisit Yosemite

4 Visit the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown and while in New York, see where I was born. I have not been to NY since I was a wee 6 months old, lol.

5 Washington, it's rainforests, and fictual towns (I hope maybe one)? portrayed in Kristin Hannah's "Comfort and Joy."

6 Columbia River Gorge and other parts of Oregon, I have yet to see. I wouldn't mind revisiting Crater Lake on a warmer day.

7 Disney World in Florida

8 Hershey Factory and Theme Park? along with the Crayola Factory in Pennsylvania.

9 Go to Metropolis, Illinois wink

10. If I ever ventured outside the US, I'd love to visit Thirsk, where James Herriot lived and practiced.

Mona

#216953 05/25/08 02:38 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
4) Monaco (..during the Formula 1 Grand Prix!)
I did that about 15 years ago and it was fairly disappointing, I have to say. I remember being hot and crowded and, despite a prime viewing spot, the first time I got to actually see the race was when I got home and watched it on the recording my mum had made for me. goofy Other than that, it was just the odd coloured blur going past and a distorted loudspeaker commentary that was impossible to make out.

I'd do it again - but only if it was from the balcony of a suite at the Hotel du Paris. Or from one of those yachts in the harbour! So if you get there, make sure you do it in style. laugh

Monaco itself is beautiful though and worth a trip on its own.

I'd have to have some considerations other than unlimited funds for my choices. Curing my fear of heights, getting over my dislike of temperature extremes, and making sure I could view them on my own and not as part of some huge crowd for some!

In no particular order:

1. Versailles

2. Petra

3. A boat trip down the Nile, taking in Giza and the Pyramids

4. Massada

5. Greece and Rome
(I've tagged these as one because I'd be viewing all the historical sites in both)

6. Antartica

7. Machu Picchu

8. US Road Trip
(I'd take my time and several months exploring all the sites and cities I've an interest in from Lake Tahoe to the Grand Canyon, San Franciso, San Diego, Las Vegas, the Pacific Coast Highway...)

9. Devon/Cornwall
(I''d rent a little holiday cottage and take my time exploring all the quaint, pretty little villages of this region)

10. Canadian wilderness

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#216954 05/25/08 03:07 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I know I am a lucky girl because I have been to most of the places mentioned, i.e. Rome, US road trip (including Boston, New York City, Washington DC, New Orleans, Las Vegas, San Francisco, LA, San Diego, and Niagara Falls), cruise on the Nile but without the pyramids, Montreal and Quebec City, London, Denmark, Vienna and Salzburg, Prague, Budapest...

I have also been to Kenya (my favorite vacation so far!!!).

In 2 weeks I am going to spend 7 days in Ireland, and I am very much looking forward to it! Any suggestions on where I should go?

Other places, I still want to see, in no particular order:

a) Vancouver (plus a Canadian crosscountry trip by train)
b) Alaska
c) Meditteranean cruise
d) New Zealand
e) Fiji (saving it for my honeymoon)
f) Barcelona
g) Portugal
h) Scotland
i) South America
j) Singapore and Malaysia
k) Monaco and Cote d'Azur

Natascha

#216955 05/25/08 07:36 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I LOVE traveling!!! I could name about 50 but here are my top ten in no particular order (except New Zealand is def. my number 1)

1. New Zealand
2. Galapogos Islands
3. Machu Piccu (sp?)
4. Great Wall of China & Forbidden City
5. Pyramids & Sphinx
6. Las Vegas
7. Alaska
8. Amazon Rain Forest
9. Australia
10. Kyoto & Japan country side

Oh what the hey. I'll break the rules like Elisabeth always does wink

11. Wyoming - Yellowstone
12. Costa Rica
13. Belize
14. Tahiti
15. The Dead Sea
16. Greece
17. Israel
18. Ireland
19. Scotland
20. Russia

Honestly, I don't think there's anywhere I don't want to go... except for maybe Baghdad and that's just cause I'd fear for my safety. I would actually love to go there cause of the historical value...

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw
#216956 05/25/08 09:32 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Where would I like to go... the question would sooner be where I wouldn't want to go, because I love to travel! So these are some of the things that are highest up on my list.

1. Australia - Backpacking for a few months sounds wonderful to get to the the country a bit.

2. China - Traveling for a week or two to taste the culture a bit and see some of the most interesting sites.

3. US Road trip - I still have so much of the US to discover. Hopefully, I get to go on my first one next year.

4. Oberhousen, Germany - I've heard there's this fantastic mall I'd love to abuse my credit card for. wink

5. Scandinavia - Mostly for the amazing nature that's found there.

6. Ireland/Scotland/Wales - Also for the nature and culture.

7. Egypt - Those pyramids and sfinxes sound really fascinating. Especially after having been to Rome and Greece already.

8. South Africa - A good friend of mine's been there and had these amazing tales, so I'd like to see it with my own eyes now.

9. Canada - Preferably in the summer, though. I don't like the cold and snow that much. :p

10. All the big cities in Europe - I've seen quite a few already, but there are still so many left. *sigh* I hope to cross off one or two when the summer's over.

BTW, I noticed no one so far wants to visit my wonderful country. wink

Saskia smile

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
#216957 05/26/08 04:09 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally posted by Saskia:
4. Oberhousen, Germany - I've heard there's this fantastic mall I'd love to abuse my credit card for. wink
Lol, there is? Never heard of that wink
If you wanna spend a lot of money, though, you should try Berlin, Munich, Hamburg or Frankfurt laugh

Um... my Top 10 places to go... hummm....

1) Montréal (yes, very surprising, eh?)
2) Australia / New Zealand (sorry, it's not the same, I know, but... well...)
3) Trinindad & Tobago
4) Florida
5) Scandinavia
6) Amsterdam
7) Cologne (yes, I know... but I've never been there, seriously, and I heard it's a great place for freaks like me to go clubbing all night)
8) Boston (Harvaaard!)
9) Alaska laugh

And I save the last position for New York and Los Angeles. I've already been to both but I'd love to go back laugh

Jana

"Maybe I know what it's like, trying to find fulfillment in the wrong person. Trying to fit into the mold others expect of you."

"Looking for love" by DC Lady
#216958 05/26/08 05:28 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Here's my list of places (in addition to dozens I'd like to revisit):

First, I'd like to touch all continents, so...

1. Antarctica (I hear they have a 5 day cruise, seriously).
2. Australia (Sydney plus the Barrier Reef)
3. South America (Brazil or Peru ~ rainforest esp.)

Second, some cities / countries I definitely want to see...

4. Tokyo (coz it's one of the major centres in my area of research)
5. Moscow (Every time I see a Walt Disney - I'm reminded of it wink )
6. Singapore (just because)
7. Turkey (the intersecting architecture)
8. Kenya (wildlife safari)

Third, some places I probably won't get to go but it's ok to dream smile

9. Harappa / Mohenjodaro - archaeological excavations (Pakistan)
10. Moon wink

Skiing in Dubai?
Oh, you should definitely do that Carol cool ... (my home town or rather the longest I've stayed in one place yet).

wave

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
#216959 05/26/08 07:34 AM
Kerth
Kerth
1: Florida. See a shuttle launch. Or Russia to see one of the big supply rockets launch for the International Space station. I don't think I want to give space tourism a try though, the spirit is willing but I suspect I'd spend the whole flight throwing up. Unless they improve the facilities and comfort a LOT, of course.

2: Anywhere I can see a total eclipse of the sun - I was outside the zone of totality last time (and it was cloudy in the bits of Britain that could see it), and there won't be another visible from Britain for many years.

3: The Isle of Man. Take my motorcycle over and drive around the TT race course - not in competition, but I think they have the course open to all comers for a day after the race. I doubt I'd break any track records, but I'd like to see how well I do.

4: LA, do the studio tours, visit some of the places I've seen in Angel etc.

5: A World Science Fiction Convention in the US; I've been to the British and European ones since the seventies, but I've never managed one of the American ones and they're apparently a whole different ball game.

6: Fly by airship along the Grand Canyon.

7: Dublin and Belfast. For some reason I've never visited any part of Northern or Southern Ireland - I thought I'd manage it this summer but my plans turned out to clash with the dates I have to be in work so I'm shelving the idea for another year.

8: Las Vegas with a few thousand dollars to gamble and no access to my savings etc. so I can't bankrupt myself.

9: A wildlife tour of Australia

10: Metropolis.

Forgot to say that for the ultimate in "I've been places you haven't"-cred you will have to go a long way to beat a friend of mine who served with the RAF in Iraq a couple of years ago. His livejournal icon for a while was a picture of him half-way up a step pyramid and read "IM IN UR CLIMBING UR ZIGGURATS"
Think it was the one here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:UR_17_01_2004.jpg

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#216960 05/26/08 10:03 AM
Columnist
Columnist
Since I want to go pretty much anywhere, I'll just throw out 10 randoms that I really want to see.

1. Southern France
2. Montréal
3. Ukraine (I've been there before, but I'd love to go back and see more of it.)
4. Boston
5. New York
6. Ireland
7. New Orleans
8. Japan
9. Australia
10. Antarctica

As for Alaska? Yeah, it's pretty OK here. wink

"Lois Lane is Clark Kent's Superman." - Brian Miller
#216961 05/26/08 12:15 PM
G
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
G
Okay here's mine...

1)Ireland (for more reasons then I care to put here)
2)England (always wanted to go)
3)Germany (^)
4)China (always wanted to go see the great wall)
5)Japan (looks like a cool place to see)
6)Italy (I love mythology)
7)Greese (^)
8)Canada (Yeah, I've been there but I loved it)
9)New York (To see Broadway)
10)Los Vegas (I just really want to go)
and just for kicks...
11)Los Anglos (My brothers say it is awesome)

Well there's my list.

"Madness is like gravity...it just takes a little push." ~The Joker
#216962 05/26/08 03:41 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Japan
Scotland
Oahu, Hi
New Zealand
Easter Island
Alaska
Greenland
Israel
The Grand Canyon in AZ(been there and want to go back)
Aviano Italy(hubby went there on an assignment and wants me to see it)

TEEEEEEEJ

Jayne Cobb: Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something RIGHT!
#216963 05/26/08 11:28 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
1. Southern Africa - SA, of course, since that’s my home and I‘ve hardly seen any of it blush , Namib desert, salt pans in Botswana, Okavango, Victoria Falls, etc.
2. China
3. Italy
4. Egypt
5. USA - including Alaska. wink
6. Machu Picchu
7. France
8. Turkey - Istanbul east meets west
9. More of the UK and Ireland
10. um... Russia, maybe India...

When Life Gives You Green Velvet Curtains, Make a Green Velvet Dress.
#216964 05/27/08 03:04 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Well, I've been to Metropolis, even though it's been 25 years. It would be cool to see it again. But I think I'll limit my list to outside the US, since those are the places I'm also less likely to visit, as my husband will not fly. In a plane or otherwise. wink

1. Ireland
2. The UK in general. There's a few places I'd like to visit specifically for genealogy reasons.
3. Paris
4. The Pyramids of Egypt
5. Tokyo
6. Sydney
7. Italy
8. Greece
9. The Netherlands
10. Spain

Okay, what I really want is a year backpacking around Europe. That will cover most of my wants and needs, and I can still look into genealogy. laugh

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#216965 05/29/08 08:02 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Most of the places I'd like to visit are in Europe, but I'd like to see alittle bit of everything all over the world (actually I've got an almost infinite list of all the places I'd like to go, but this is my top 10, as asked).

1. Barcelona, Spain (been there, loved it, want to go back)
2. Venice, Italy (before it sinks and preferably during Carnevale)
3. New York, USA (just because I'm curious to see it live)
4. Ireland (all that green, the celtic legends)
5. London, England (to watch the Phantom of The Opera and the British version of Wicked; visit Madam Tussaud's and to see the city)
6. Paris, France (the Louvre, the Seine, the Eiffell Tower, Le cartier latin...)
7. Tokyo, Japan (a completely different culture and a language I don't know)
8. Sydney, Australia (it seems interesting)
9. India (because it seems beautiful)
10. Egypt (for the pyramids, of course)

Granny Weatherwax: 'You've got to think headology, see? Not muck about with all this beauty and wealth business. That's not important.'

Wyrd Sisters, Terry Pratchett
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard