Print Thread
#216820 05/13/08 07:10 AM
S
sammie Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
S
i just had fake nails done and so far have found problems texting, typing on the laptop (major arghh when you want to read lcfics) and couldnt pick up spoon from the floor. anyone else been through this problem so i dont feel so alone, which is kind of weird since loads of people have fake nails.

oh and do you know how addictive it is tapping the table with them, i always used to find it annoying, but i can see why they do it, addictiveness!!

#216821 05/13/08 07:55 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I don't have fake nails but some of my friends have and they used to have the same problems. But don't worry you'll learn to use them.
Everyone of them has become addicted to fake nails! laugh

Kathryn
#216822 05/13/08 08:05 AM
Columnist
Columnist
I had the same problems at first, but you get used to it. The weirdest thing that was difficult for me was scratching. The fake ones are duller than my real ones, so I felt like I couldn't scratch my itches properly.

You do get used to it though. I don't have them anymore, and when I got them taken off it felt just as weird to *not* have them as it felt to have them when I'd first gotten them.

~Anna

#216823 05/13/08 08:32 AM
Columnist
Columnist
Part of the problem can be that you have them too long. I had fake nails for years and I found letting them get to long was a problem typing. You wind up hitting the row of keys above. I also found that I had to hold my fingers at a lower angle so that I hit more with the pads of my fingers and not the tips. Another problem you can have is the shape of the nails. When they first put them on they did the squared off tip. I like the look but I had them put on just before I went on vacation and found with the square tips I had also sorts of problems operating my camera. After that I got the oval tips. I could push the small buttons with the oval tips.

You will find that there are things you can't do no matter what.
1. Putting on screw back earrings.
2. Squeeze your skin to get a splinter out or pop a pimple.
3. Scratch stuff off like a label etc. The nails are just to thick.

As for picking up stuff it takes practice. Instead of reaching straight down you have to pick up with the pads of your fingers so you have to sort of pick up with a flat hand. It just takes practice. I no longer have them and they did do damage to my natural nail.

#216824 05/13/08 08:55 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I, too, have had fake nails. You do get used to using them but something that always caused me problems when I had them was taking out my contacts. It would take me about 10 minutes per eye, seriously. I like my natural nails much better but the fake ones are just so pretty.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw
#216825 05/13/08 09:23 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Hmm, I've never had fake nails in my life. But I like to wear my natural ones long - sometimes as long as other people wear their fakes. smile And, yes, it's different if you want to pick up something. And typing, oh, that's a story of its own. :p

But, seriously, if you let your natural nails grow, you'll get used to the differences over the time it takes growing them. But when you have to cut them short, everything is really weird, too.

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
#216826 05/14/08 06:08 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I have gotten fake nails from time to time. My problem is that after a few days I have to keep myself from picking at them. Sadly they last about 2 weeks at the most (if that long) before I start the fascinating task of popping them off one by one and pick off the glue. Of course my nails under the fake ones look horrible afterwards but with a little love and care they go back to normal.

I don't know what it is with me... you would think I was a tweeker the way I tackle them.

~Jojo, who is not a meth head despite her need to pick at things.

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard