Print Thread
#216574 04/30/08 05:36 PM
Z
Zoar3 Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Z
I was just wondering if anyone here is a member of one? I read so much that it might be worthwhile for me to join one.

Thanks,
Mona

#216575 05/01/08 02:21 AM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
I'm not, but I was in college and I miss it!

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#216576 05/01/08 05:47 AM
Kerth
Kerth
I'm a member of a group of friends that meet once a month at someone's home to discuss science fiction and fantasy books and occasionally other media, e.g. last month was Japanese anime films made by Studio Gibli, this month it's a fantasy author. It's really more of a social thing than a serious literary club - the person who hosts it lays on food and nibbles, generally people start arriving about 3, then we start the discussion around 4.30 or 5 and finish around 7 to 7.30, after that relax, talk and eat more until late.

I'm hosting it this month, so far I've read two pages of the three-book trilogy we're discussing, which is not a particularly good start...

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#216577 05/01/08 05:21 PM
Blogger
Blogger
I'm in a book club with 7 other women. We meet once a month on the first Wednesday and discuss the book we read the previous month. The person that hosts picks the next book. We usually try to keep the book to around 300-350 pages if possible and stay away from new release hard covers (too expensive to buy and too hard to get at the library). The host of the month supplies a lunch and usually a dessert (we like chocolate) and coffee. We usually eat, gab and gossip for the first hour and discuss the book during the 2nd hour. The host also prints off the questions from the Reading Group Guide website. Usually the questions are available there or in the back of the books.

I've been in it for about 3 years now and it's been alot of fun getting to know the other ladies. Our kids all go to school together but they are all different age groups which is nice when you need advice about something. We usually keep the selections to current literature like The Kite Runner (great book), A Thousand Splendid Suns (even better), the Secret Life of Bees (just ok), Water for Elephants (good read), Gods in Alabama (excellent), the Time Travelers Wife (boring). One of the members keeps an excel file so we remember who picked what. This month we're reading The Book Thief.

#216578 05/01/08 05:54 PM
Z
Zoar3 Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Z
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'll have to look into joining a book club. Maybe, we could even have a virtual one on here? smile What I actually meant to be asking was if anyone has signed up for like the doubleday book club or a romance one? A mail order deal.

Mona

#216579 05/01/08 06:12 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
It's funny you should suggest we start one here Mona, I was just idly wondering the other day if anyone would like that idea, or think me a nutcase.

Desiree

Don't think about the pink elephant... I dare you!

Thanks to Tineke for the avatar

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard