Next Thread
Print Thread
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
On April 16, 1947, the worst industrial accident ever happened in the United States. This is from today's New York Times:

On April 16, 1947, America's worst harbor explosion occurred in Texas City, Texas, when the French ship Grandcamp, carrying ammonium nitrate fertilizer, caught fire and blew up, devastating the town. Another ship, the Highflyer, exploded the following day. The explosions and resulting fires killed more than 500 people and left 200 others missing.
Can you imagine? A ship carrying fertilizer catching fire and blowing up, and the next day another ship exploding as well. Fires spreading throughout the town, and 500 people were killed and another 200 went missing. It boggles the mind, really. Anyway, that sort of accidents don't happen in the United States or Europe any more. In some ways the world has become better.

[Linked Image]

Ann

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
I remember hearing about that on... the History Channel or something a couple months ago. That was a lot of people...

Carol [who is also happy the boards are working again]

Features Writer
Features Writer
I recall it is also the anniversary of the day a delusional "unappreciated artist" went on a shooting spree, who would have been stopped if gun savvy students on the campus had been allowed to carry FIREARMS.

TEEEEEJ

Jayne Cobb: Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something RIGHT!
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
who would have been stopped if gun savvy students on the campus had been allowed to carry FIREARMS.
That's very clairvoyant of you, TJ. goofy Since they weren't, it's somewhat impossible for the rest of us to tell what could or would have happened, either way. wink

Myself, I rather suspect that if they had been, an even larger bloodbath might have ensued. But that's just my opinion. I'm stuck with an opinion because I don't have the facts to make absolute pronouncements. Just an opinion about a speculative future.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Blogger
Blogger
One of the national news programs did a story about several states introducing legislation to allow concealed carry on college campuses, and I believe they said that Utah already allows it.

I'll always remember the bloodbath at Luby's Diner in Kileen TX, and how the woman chiropractor could have saved her parents' lives and many others if only she'd had her gun with her and not locked out in the car (because at that time concealed carry permits apparently weren't allowed.) I believe she was instrumental in changing the law after that.

T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Hmmm. I just saw the LnC episode, 'Tempus, Anyone?', for the first time. That is where Lois ends up in Alt-Clark's universe, where Charlton Heston is President and everyone carries around a big gun. I thought it looked extremely scary.

It is none of my business if people in Utah and other American states want to carry a weapon on their persons at all times, and it is none of my business if they tell their political representatives to change the law in their states so that they are allowed to carry their guns around. But personally, I'm just not going to believe that the relationship between weapons carried around and people being killed is such that the more weapons people keep on their persons, the fewer people are killed. Yes, it wouldn't surprise me for a second if there is a greater percentage of people killed in, say, New York City than in Utah even if gun laws are much stricter in NYC than in Utah, but then again crime always gravitates towards the biggest cities. You simply don't have the same kind of demographics in Utah as you have in New York City or L.A.

As for the Virginia Tech massacre, if the gun laws in Virginia hadn't allowed that gun salesman to sell weapons to a mentally unstable person without making any in-depth checks on him at all, then it is at least possible that the Virgina Tech massacre wouldn't have happened at all. Anyway, imagine someone like Seung-Hui Cho walking into a big room crammed full of people and starting shooting, and imagine everyone else drawing their guns and starting shooting back. Maybe no one but Cho would have been killed. Then again, maybe lots of other people in there might have been killed by 'friendly fire'. Maybe the number of people killed would have been thirty-two after all.

Like I said, it's none of my business what kind of laws people in the United States want to have for themselves. But I'm sure glad that it's against the law to carry a weapon, concealed or otherwise, on college campuses and other public places in Sweden.

Ann

Blogger
Blogger
I find the statistics interesting that more children die each year from drowning in swimming pools than from guns. Maybe we need to ban swimming pools wink

T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I just googled "Woman shot 2008" and got 1,450,000 hits. The first ten hits described actual shootings of women in America in 2008. Two of the women were pregnant and the babies they were carrying also died.

When I googled "Child drowned in swimming pool 2008" I got 92,000 hits. However, apparently one one of the first ten hits described a case where a child actually drowned in a swimming pool in America in 2008.

So, with the babies who died in 2008 because their mothers were shot, it appears that shootings are more dangerous for American children than swimming pools after all.

Ann

Blogger
Blogger
Those are google hits, not statistics.

Try googling "swimming pools more dangerous than guns" and you'll get that swimming pools are 100 times more dangerous for children than guns are.

As one of the hits (for the book Freakonomics) says,
"The book Freakonomics contains stunning insights and conclusions - many which are counterintuitive. Like the fact that crack dealers on the street earn less than minimum wage on average. And if you own both a gun and have a swimming pool in the backyard, the swimming pool is about 100 times more likely to kill a child than the gun is.
"In a given year, there is one drowning of a child for every 11,000 residential pools in the United States. In a country with 6 million pools, this means that roughly 550 children under the age of ten drown each year. Meanwhile, there is 1 child killed by a gun for every 1 million-plus guns. In a country with an estimated 200 million guns, this means that roughly 175 children under ten die each year from guns. The likelihood of death by pool (1 in 11,000) versus death by gun (1 in a million plus) isn't even close: Molly is roughly 100 times more likely to die in a swimming pool accident at Suzy's house than in gunplay at Rick's."
Or this link, which apparently appeared in the Chicago Sun-Times ... the author is not promoting guns, but rather warning of the dangers of swimming pools. But the statistics given show that more children drowned than were shot by guns.
http://timlambert.org/2001/07/levittpoolsvsguns/

T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
How reliable are your statistics?

This is what I found when I googled "Children shot in America" and "Children drowned in swimming pools in America":

In 2001, 859 children ages 14 and under died as a result of unintentional drowning
The figures are from http://www.usa.safekids.org/NSKW.cfm.

I also found this:

In a single year, 3,012 children and teens were killed by gunfire in the United States, according to the latest national data released in 2002.
The figures are from http://www.neahin.org/programs/schoolsafety/gunsafety/statistics.htm. Yes, I realize that this site talks about children and teens, and many of the dead youngsters are going to be teens, 18 or 19 years old.

However, this site also makes these claims:

In one year, firearms killed no children in Japan, 19 in Great Britain, 57 in Germany, 109 in France, 153 in Canada, and 5,285 in the United States. (Centers for Disease Control)
And it said this:

In one year, more children and teens died from gunfire than from cancer, pneumonia, influenza, asthma, and HIV/AIDS combined. (Children's Defense Fund)
And it said this:

The rate of firearm deaths among kids under age 15 is almost 12 times higher in the United States than in 25 other industrialized countries combined. (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)

American kids are 16 times more likely to be murdered with a gun, 11 times more likely to commit suicide with a gun, and nine times more likely to die from a firearm accident than children in 25 other industrialized countries combined. (Centers for Disease Control)
It's up to you Americans to decide if you think that all these firearm deaths among youngsters are worth it, or if you think that even more kids would die if guns were harder to come by in your country.

But I really think you should think twice before you say that not many people are killed by guns in the United States.

Ann

EDIT: Okay, I found the figures you referred to. It says that there are six million swimming pools in the United States, but 200 million guns. It also says that in 1997, 550 children under ten drowned in residential swimming pools, whereas, in 1998, 175 children under ten were killed by guns.

That is certainly possible. The younger the child, the more likely it is that the child can't swim and will drown as he or she falls into a swimming pool. Growing older will make the child safer. (Also, pool safety has generally improved: according to the site I found, drowning deaths of children in pools are down by about 40%.)

Well, getting older will certainly not make a child safer from guns. Nevertheless, we should all have our crusades, and if anyone wants to dig up and fill in all residential swimming pools in the United States, by all means take on that noble fight!

Ann

Top Banana
Top Banana
Deprive men of the use of water, for fear of being drowned? Ah, yes, the false idea of utility.

Here’s a quote from Cesare Beccaria's " Of Crimes and Punishment ”, published in 1764. This passage so impressed Thomas Jefferson that he hand-copied it into one of his notebooks. (The influence of Beccaria’s book can be seen in our Bill of Rights, specifically the eighth amendment, which forbids cruel and unusual punishment, and the second, which guarantees the right to bear arms.)

A Principal source of errors and injustice, are false ideas of utility. For example, That legislator has false ideas of utility, who considers particular more than general convenience; who had rather command the sentiments of mankind, than excite them, and dares say to reason, "Be thou a slave;" who would sacrifice a thousand real advantages, to the fear of an imaginary or trifling inconvenience; who would deprive men of the use of fire, for fear of being burnt, and of water, for fear of being drowned; and who knows of no means of preventing evil but by destroying it.

The laws of this nature, are those which forbid to wear arms, disarming those only who are not disposed to commit the crime which the laws mean to prevent. Can it be supposed, that those who have the courage to violate the most sacred laws of humanity, and the most important of the code, will respect the less considerable and arbitrary injunctions, the violation of which is so easy, and of so little comparative importance? Does not the execution of this law deprive the subject of that personal liberty, so dear to mankind and to the wise legislator; and does it not subject the innocent to all the disagreeable circumstances that should only fall on the guilty? It certainly makes the situation of the assaulted worse, and of the assailants better, and rather encourages than prevents murder, as it requires less courage to attack unarmed than armed persons.

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard