Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#215905 03/20/08 02:18 PM
Laura S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hey guys. I have a quick question. I'm looking for a summer job, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or warnings. Last summer I worked at La Madeleine's, a french bakery/bistro type of restaurant and while I enjoyed it, it was rather stressful. I'm hoping to get out of the food biz. I was considering applying at either a Barnes and Noble, Borders or a Half Price books. I know everyone on here are big readers, so I thought maybe someone had worked there before and had an opinion... Or on any type of job, really. I live in a pretty metropolitan area, so I'm probably near whatever you can think of.

Oh, and it's the summer before college/after high school for me, if you're looking for an approximate age.

Thanks guys. smile

Laura

Thanks to CapeFetish for the awesome icon. smile
#215906 03/20/08 02:22 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Ooo. I worked at a WaldenBooks before I signed away my so... erm. Before my last job. It was probably one of the most fun things I'd ever done! Of course, the store was really small and it was in a mall, and it was during the Holiday Season.

I would totally love to have a job selling books again, and I recommend it to anyone looking for a job, especially if you love books laugh

Mmm cheese.

I vid, therefor I am.

The hardest lesson is that love can be so fair to some, and so cruel to others. Even those who would be gods.

Anne Shirley: I'm glad you spell your name with a "K." Katherine with a "K" is so much more alluring than Catherine with a "C." A "C" always looks so smug.
Me: *cries*
#215907 03/20/08 03:21 PM
Z
Columnist
Columnist
Z
Half Price Books is a lot of fun-I wish there were one where I live.

If you have experience with children, there's usually summer camp positions.

Let's see...maybe movie theatres might need extra help or if you live in a touristy place,smaller shops.

Good Luck!
smile
Mona

#215908 03/20/08 05:31 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hrm, jobs I had in college...personally I thought department stores were a nightmare, but then again, selling grills or workout machines was never really my forte...I actually loved working in the stockroom at this soap shop in the mall. I could just be strange but I was totally content unpacking boxes and stocking shelves all day...the grocery store really wasn't bad, although by the end of every shift, I'd had my fill of customers, and when I went to bed at night, I often dreamed about running food across the scanner, hehe. No college job I had ever really sky-rocketed above minimum wage, but I always found the most hours at stores in the mall.

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#215909 03/20/08 11:13 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Two words - Comfortable shoes! If you're going to be working in a shop or anywhere where you'll spend a lot of time on your feet, get some good comfortable shoes and break them in a little before you start.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#215910 03/21/08 10:25 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I work at a Borders here in New Zealand. They're pretty good employers. We have a person working with us who's from the States and she worked at a Borders over there. I think the general workings are pretty much the same.

~Anna.

Lois: Jimmy, give me back my dress.
Clark: Now there's something you don't hear around the newsroom everyday.
#215911 03/23/08 03:25 AM
Laura S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hey I just wanted to thank everyone for their responses. They're very helpful and I went and got a few job apps. smile Thanks again.

#215912 03/24/08 09:55 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Ha! Funny that this thread was started cause I am needing a weekend/evening job to pay for LAFF!!

I think I might check out a book store too. Anyone know if they pay more than $10/hour. I think I've been spoiled having a 40 hour/week 8-5 job so I want my weekend job to pay at least more than minimum wage. I was also thinking of applying at a Spa or something like that. I just really hate the retail industry and wish I could find something more clerical to do on weekends but those are hard to come by. huh

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw
#215913 03/24/08 12:18 PM
Laura S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
This is a rather personal question, so feel free not to answer if you'd rather not. But I'm filling out my application right now and I was wondering what to put for what I would like my starting pay to be. I worked for 7 dollars an hour at my last job, but it was my first. Would asking for 7.50 be unreasonable at a book store?

#215914 03/24/08 04:37 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
When I used to be in your position, I would just put nothing in the blank or whatever minimum wage was. They're only going to give you what they start everyone out on b/c you're not applying for a specialty position--and that way they know you aren't expecting special treatment.

And Borders rocks. But I'm totally biased.

**~~**

Swoosh --->

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard