Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#215734 03/10/08 07:25 AM
cashley Offline OP
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
okay im a Christian and i know about the 7 deadly sins, and other sins in the Bible.
Get this, the Pope has given a list of new sins- im just a little shocked by this. shock come on, some of these are just so stupid to say! like littering is a sin- DUH!!!! its bad. and who is the Pope to think he can add to the list? God never said anything about an old Pope modifying his word!
here is the link- from yahoo
http://green.yahoo.com/news/nm/20080310/hl_nm/pope_sins_dc.html

oh so thats the plan from out great leader hu? just sit here on our butts!
#215735 03/10/08 07:54 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
the Pope has given a list of new sins- im just a little shocked by this.
Hmmm.. I actually liked this article. I don't think he's actually rewriting the Bible here but is trying to make people aware of 'sins' that are not mentioned in the Bible specifically. For example, no where in the Bible does it say, Thou Shalt Not Litter, but of course they really didn't have those sorts of problems back then. There weren't a lot of paper products, chemical waste, etc to throw around and pollute the Earth. Do I think it's a sin today, absolutely. To not care about God's creation or how your 'littering' could effect other people is a very selfish thing to me. (I think Ann posted something about that recently... Acid Rain & Civilian casualties

I think when the Pope is talking about 'new sins', they're probably sins that are embodied in the sins that are mentioned in the Bible.
Sometimes people need someone to point out sins to them, not as a new sin, but as something that is applicable today. I think that's what he was doing here.

Great topic of discussion, cashley! thumbsup

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw
#215736 03/10/08 08:24 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
and who is the Pope to think he can add to the list?
To be fair, his second in command was asked for an opinion and he gave it. Like many press reports these days, it was set up by the reporter in question and then the reply picked up and represented without the context by other press outlets, so it appears to have come out of the blue without any prompting at all. Dashed sneaky these media people. laugh

I must admit to having a wry smile when I read the report on teletext earlier on this, which stated that another of the new modern sins was being 'excessively wealthy'. I have no idea if this was true or a press embellishment or misreporting, but I did think it was rather rich coming from a religion which has millions, if not billions, in assets hoarded in its vaults.

And a few politicians - naming no names <g> - who have recently converted to Catholicism might have to run post haste to the confessional to be absolved of the new sin of 'promoting social and economic injustice'. goofy

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#215737 03/10/08 08:38 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
And a few politicians - naming no names <g> - who have recently converted to Catholicism might have to run post haste to the confessional to be absolved of the new sin of 'promoting social and economic injustice'.
Hmmm... me wonders if Labby is referring to Tony Blair? Just nod if I'm correct. That's the only politican that I've heard of converting to Catholicism recently.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw
#215738 03/10/08 08:48 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Might be. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#215739 03/10/08 09:49 AM
S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer
S
The sin of being 'excessively wealthy' is one I can happily live with. Of course excessive happiness might be a new sin too.

"I'm red-eyed, tired and drunk" Teri Hatcher
"Fun will now commence" 7of9
#215740 03/11/08 12:29 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
it's good to know there's one sin which I will never face. Have already struck it off my list. laugh

c.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard