Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#215590 03/04/08 06:20 AM
N
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
N
I'm not sure what thread this goes in, so I'm sticking it here. James' thread about an avatar in the Folc Productions got me thinking. There are some people (like LabRat, for instance) whose avatar instantly triggers a recognition in me. I don't even look at the name - when I see that happy looking dog I know exactly who's posting. (Mind you, I'm not saying that I think LabRat is a happy looking dog!)

Why did you choose the avatar you're using? Did you create it? Where did you find it? Does it have special significance to you (like a favorite ep)? Is there a subtle message or an image that you're projecting? If you've changed avatars - why did you do it?

Just curious (and trying to figure out what I want to use as my avatar).

"There are lots of people who can be clever with words, which is different from being right with them." Anne Enright
#215591 03/04/08 06:32 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Why did I choose it? It goes with the name. goofy

I found the cartoon after an extensive google search of Elvis pics - must spend time more productively! - and then added the 'shade' of Elvis :rolleyes: that flashes every 10 secs after James put that 'how to make your own gif' post up recently. Save to photobucket, and voila!

Have you got any ideas as to what you want? I went through a bunch of others before I settled on this, and it'll probably get the boot in favour of something else sooner or later.

When Life Gives You Green Velvet Curtains, Make a Green Velvet Dress.
#215592 03/04/08 06:32 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Heh. Mine's boring. It was one I could choose from the list online and I always loved that part in that ep. Plus Lois looks so seductive.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw
#215593 03/04/08 06:39 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by gr8shadesofElvis:

...after James put that 'how to make your own gif' post up recently....

Has my muse been sleepwalking again? I don't remember posting such a thing...but as Elisabeth will tell you, that wouldn't be something to out of the ordinary confused

James, who likes to change his avatar a little less frequently than he likes to change his handle. I get bored with same-old-same-old and will change things on a whim.

Of course the more I play with pics, the more likely I am to change the image...

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
#215594 03/04/08 06:45 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Went to check, and yes, you can all blame James for my annoying flashy thing.

Even Ralph could use it!

Ring any bells? laugh

#215595 03/04/08 06:49 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Dang! It was even less than a month ago...

I'd tell you what was the first thing to go, if I could remember the word... wink

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
#215596 03/04/08 07:14 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hehe, I loooove my avatar smile

I made it at www.sp-studio.de here and that's actually the way I look... not right now but quite often wink

So, yeah, it has quite some special meaning to me, I use it at LJ as my default icon and sometimes at MSN, too smile

Jana

"Maybe I know what it's like, trying to find fulfillment in the wrong person. Trying to fit into the mold others expect of you."

"Looking for love" by DC Lady
#215597 03/04/08 08:27 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Well, I couldn't find any cool pictures of cheese - yes, I looked! - so I thought I'd go with an Angel avatar 'cause I loved the show.

And so many people have LnC pics (gee, I wonder why goofy ) I just wanted to be different.

The key to change... is to let go of fear - Rosanne Cash
#215598 03/04/08 08:33 AM
Columnist
Columnist
Mine was just the one I liked the most out of a few that I had made. While that episode (one of the NK ones) definitely isn't my favorite, I love that scene. Sweetness mixed with a touch of angst is too much for me to resist!

Actually, I try really hard not to change mine all the time, since I know they have a lot to do with recognizing who's posting, but there are so many great ones out there!

"Lois Lane is Clark Kent's Superman." - Brian Miller
#215599 03/04/08 08:45 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
(Mind you, I'm not saying that I think LabRat is a happy looking dog!)
goofy I'm usually going, "Wait, that doesn't sound like...oh, right." laugh

I won't answer your question because I figure it's patently obvious that my boy, Homer, has a special place in my heart, hence the avatar laugh , but looking forward to reading some interesting responses.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#215600 03/04/08 09:38 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Honestly, I still collapse in laughter over mine from time to time. goofy C_A made the larger poster during the motivational poster blitz last year.

Posters

Just in case anyone's missed it because it was a total scream!
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#215601 03/04/08 09:46 AM
Columnist
Columnist
Well, let's see after looking around a bit .. I found mine here .
There was no special reason for picking that one (it's not my fav episode)- I just really liked the colors and the scene like that!
Plus I really wanted one with Lois and Clark both on it... I just feel bad if one or the other is left out goofy

-Camy

"I have no regrets. If you regret things, then you're sort of stepping backwards.
I'm a believer in going forwards." ~Kate Winslet
#215602 03/04/08 10:47 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I always had one to do with judo, since I was so big on the sport. But when I quit, that didn't suit me anymore. When I started thinking of one I'd like next, I googled for Tweety images. I came across this one... well, I love Tweety and it was said I was evil, so it would be a nice fit. Ever since, I stuck with this one. It's just so me. wink

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
#215603 03/04/08 11:47 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Mine is an image of my old superhero alter ego: "HatMan: Avenger of Boredum (and bad speller...)"

Originally, I was MadHatter (being both cheerfully insane and, due to premature baldness, never seen in public without a hat). But HatMan was created to have fun and adventures during conversational lulls. Eventually (because I liked it more and because MadHatter was used by a few too many random jerks, which caused me to get some angry and confused PMs), I started using HatMan full time.

(The long version of this story, if anyone is interested, is in an old "Where did you get your nick?" thread.)

When these shiny, spiffy new boards were created, I decided that the momentous event deserved a new avatar. So I "created" an image of HatMan, the cheerful superhero with his trademark beanie copter. By "created," I mean "stole a picture of Robin by a professional artist and then hand-drew a silly hat on him with MS Paint."

It's been my avatar ever since.

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#215604 03/04/08 11:59 AM
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
Mine is a screen cap from a Studio Ghibli cartoon called My Neighbour Totoro the company that produced this cartoon is like Japan's answer to Disney and it won an Oscar a few years ago for Spirited Away, but this cartoon was made when I was like 6 years old and has always been my favourite. The English version (which only emerged after Spirited Away became so well known) stars Dakota and Ella Fanning as the two sisters, but I still stick to the old Cantonese version simply because I find the dialogue more amusing and cute. There are actually many scenes I find cute but I really wanted one with Totoro in it (he's that big purple lump that the little girl is sleeping on).

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
#215605 03/04/08 12:09 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I got my avatar from a bunch someone created, a long time ago... I love the kiss, and the background reminds me of hurricanes laugh (You know, sattelite pictures & stuff). Since we'd recently had a lot of them, I thought it suited.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#215606 03/04/08 12:16 PM
Columnist
Columnist
I'm just a big romantic at heart so this one struck a cord with me from all the options. Its more fitting for me now that I'm engaged, but I would still love it regardless. smile

~Kristen

Joey: If he doesn't like you, then this is all just a moo point.
Rachel: A moo point?
Joey: Yeah, it's like a cow's opinion, you know, it just doesn't matter. It's "moo."
Rachel: Have I been living with him for too long, or did that all just make sense?
#215607 03/04/08 12:21 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Mine is Magenta the "domestic" goofy from the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Love the bride of Frankenstein look. It cracks me up because the movie is such a parody of b-movie horror (it ends up that she's an alien from the planet Transylvania, good times). Plus I love the hand-on-hips stance. It's a screencap as far as I can recall, all I did was crop it to size.

I tend to change my avatar relatively often usually when I get bored of seeing the same thing, but they tend to be odd pictures, so I guess that would be my MO. I'm contemplating my next one to be the cover of a pulp novel titled "Behold this woman!" (all dramatic, lol) but I haven't had time to mess around with the pic yet.

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
#215608 03/04/08 12:25 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally posted by Crazy_Babe:
Totoro's that big purple lump that the little girl is sleeping on.
I'm going to embarrass myself now by saying that I always thought your avatar was from the Jungle Book - Mowgli lying on a rock or something. I have no idea why. Obviously I never looked at it properly! goofy

#215609 03/04/08 01:14 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I had to remember which mine was, since I've used Ed from Cowboy Bebop (my LJ default), Kiki and BunBun from Sluggy Freelance, and Garfield at random times. My current avatar is from SG-1 that I snagged from an author in that fandom. It never fails to make me giggle. Now if only I could figure out what episode it's from.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard