Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#215377 02/21/08 04:15 PM
E
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
E
So what's your favorite fairytale or classic children's story?

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
that is such a hard question for me to answer...
You have to understand, I wear a pin on my lapel that is a crystal frog... with a crown... My Frog Prince! I absolutely adore fairy tales!

I love the little mermaid, beauty and the beast, and all of them. It's too hard to pin down a favorite!

Don't think about the pink elephant... I dare you!

Thanks to Tineke for the avatar
E
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
E
Thanks, Desiree. So is that Disney's version or the classic?

Elisabeth

Features Writer
Features Writer
Sleeping Beauty.

I don't really know why though. I might be influenced by the Disney movie, I still think it's among the prettiest.

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally posted by Elisabeth:
Thanks, Desiree. So is that Disney's version or the classic?
well, Disney was the first I was exposed to, but I have read so many diffenent versions of many of them. Disney makes them too 'happy' and 'clean'. Do you know what I mean? nothing really bad ever happens to characters in Disney (except the bad guys of course), but in the originals (and I use this term to desrcibe the versions found in cultures the world over), the characters are darker and have more real life experiences. the stories are meant for adults, not children...

hmmm.... I went off on a tangent. Oh well, guess thats because I studied a bit of fairy tale history a few years back.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Snow Queen (most versions, especially the 2002 TV movie version )

wave

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I've moved this into OT, Elisabeth, as there's no indication it has anything to do with fanfic.

Favourite fairytale...hmmmmm. Well, that depends. On DVD, it's actually The Swan Princess. A beautifully WAFFy and funny rendition of Swan Lake. Not made by Disney. It has great characters, a romantic storyline and terrific songs. It has such depth and layers that it seems demeaning to call it a cartoon. laugh

Favourite Disney on DVD...would have to be The Lion King.

Back when I was a teenager, I used to devour fairytale books at the local library. There was a whole series of books themed by colour: The Green Book of Fairytales, The Lilac Book of Fairytales...I was delighted a while back to find them all again on the Project Guttenburg site.

My favourite fairytale though comes from a very old book that I have on my shelves which is a collection of folk tales from Asia. It's called The Tiger's Whisker. Basically, it's the story of a young woman whose husband has returned from war much changed. He's moody and violent and in despair she goes to an old mountain man for a spell to give her back the sweet, lovable husband she used to have.

The wise man tells her that the spell requires the whisker of a living tiger. Horrified, the young woman turns away, convinced it's an impossible task. However, some months later, she returns with the required whisker. The wise man examines it and then, convinced it's from a living tiger, throws it into the fire.

The woman is shocked. Why did he do that?

The wise man asks her how she got the whisker. She explains that over many months she hid in the jungle watching the beast, gradually, slowly moving closer, feeding it tidbits, earning its trust, until one night she had earned its trust to the point where it let her snip off a whisker.

The old man nods. "And is your husband any less able to appreciate patience and kindness than the tiger?" he asks.

I just love that. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Actually Labby, this is for a fanfic that Elisabeth is working on. She just forgot to indicate as such.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Features Writer
Features Writer
I liked quite a few of the Grimms Brothers products, Snow White and Rose Red were a favorite, so is The Merchant's Wife and Good King Thrushbeard, but my favorite was Indian in origin, called "The Tiger's Tail" It's pretty short, but has a wealth of meaning.

This farmer was walking down a road and in a pile of rocks ahead he sees the twitching tail of a tiger. Knowing the tiger will jump on him as he passes the rocks, the farmer takes intiative, drops his sickle and grabs the tiger by the tail, trapping the tiger on the other side of the rocks, but now neither can move but to tug back and forth.

The poor farmer waits desperately for help and finally a buddahist monk comes along. The farmer cries for help, asking the monk to pick up his sickle and kill the tiger. The monk argues that it is against his belief to kill any living thing. The farmer says if he lets go of the tiger, the tiger will kill him, but the monk still refuses to kill the tiger. Finally the farmer asks the monk to hold the tiger's tail and HE will kill the tiger. Since there's nothing in the rules about holding a tiger's tail, the monk agrees and grabs the tigers tail.

The farmer lets go, dusts himself off, picks up his sickle and begins to walk away. The monk is shocked, hollering for help, begging the farmer to kill the tiger, but the farmer says that the monk's gentle heart has convicted him and from here on out, he will not kill any living creature.....

ROFLMAO!!!!!

Jayne Cobb: Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something RIGHT!
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hmmm... I'd have to say my favorite fairy tale of all time is The Last Unicorn, originally a book by Peter S. Beagle, but the movie is what I love!

It's about this Unicorn who discovers she's the last Unicorn left in the world. So she travels to King Haggard's lair (where she heard the unicorns had gone) along the way picking up a clumsy magician. When they get to the King's Lair, the red bull (which is what gathered all the other unicorns) starts chasing her down. So the magician turns her into a human to save her. When they go to the King's Lair, he is suspicious of her and so he keeps an eye on her. Anyway, at some point they find out that the red bull has pushed all the unicorns into the ocean because they are the only thing that makes the king happy. He keeps them there to look at them. The unicorn/human falls in love with a prince and starts to forget she was ever a unicorn. But she ends up turning back and saving all of the other unicorns. But now she is different then the other unicorns because she has regret and she knows what love is, even though she can no longer love the prince; she remembers... *sniff*. I cry everytime I see that movie. It has some great dialogue too.

For example, when the king discovers that Lady Amalthia (the unicorn) is really a unicorn he says:

I know you! I almost knew you as soon
as I saw you coming up the road; since then, there is no movement of yours that has not betrayed you! A pace, a glance, a turn of the head, the flesh of your throat as you breathe, even your way of standing perfectly still, they were all my spies!
ooooohhh goosebumps!

My favorite Disney movie is The Little Mermaid.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
I very much liked the "Goose girl" as this fairy tale is obviously called in english. I like the german title much better sad

Wikipedia offers a summary:
Goose girl

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Beauty and the Beast is definitely my favourite. I've always liked the story and loved the Disney version. Since then I've also read two retellings of the story by the author Robin McKinley. If anyone else here particularly likes Beauty and the Beast, I would urge you to try them!

~Anna.

Lois: Jimmy, give me back my dress.
Clark: Now there's something you don't hear around the newsroom everyday.
E
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
E
Thanks so much to everyone who gave feedback. I may need to check some books out at the library, since I needed at least half a dozen more stories that were well-known enough that anyone would recognize them.

My brother loves the Frog Prince, but I've never actually read it. I'm also not familiar with The Goose Girl. The Lion King is probably too long for my purposes.

My own short list:
The Tortoise and the Hare
The Lion and the Mouse
The Ugly Duckling
The Three Little Pigs
Goldilocks and the Three Bears
Snow White--which I can't use
Little Red Riding Hood--which I can't use
The Little Mermaid--it may be too dark for my purposes. We'll see.
Sleeping Beauty
Beauty and the Beast
Cinderella
Chicken Little

If I need to, I can stick to the above list, but I was hoping for a couple more to round it out. Are there any on the above list you don't recognize? Are there any you think everybody will recognize which I forgot? I need stories that would be several pages long when typed up, but wouldn't take an hour to tell--a bedtime story length.

Thanks again,

Elisabeth

E
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
E
Sorry. I missed the Merchant's Wife. Does everyone know that one?

Elisabeth

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hansel And Gretel (sp?)
The Little Match girl
Rapunzel
Aladdin
Peter Pan
The Elves and the Shoemaker
The Princess and the Pea
The Pied Piper of Hamlin
The Emperors New Clothes
The Gingerbread Man
Pinocchio
Jack and the Beanstock
Rumplestiltskin
Three Billy Goats Gruff
King Midas

Merriwether
Merriwether
My absolute favorite Disney movie is Aladdin. But actual fairy tale? I need to grab my book. *rustling is heard is Karen jumps up to get her book, sits down, then flips through it* Always did like Snow White & Rose Red, the Goose Girl, King Thrushbeard (both of which I remember from a live action series in the 80s), and the Six Swans. And there's Faithful John, which is a little macabre, but aren't most of the Grimm tales? The funniest is probaby Prudent Hans.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Features Writer
Features Writer
the Goose Girl, King Thrushbeard (both of which I remember from a live action series in the 80s),
Was that the same live action series that Christopher Reeve played the prince in Sleeping Beauty? With Bernadette Peters?

That was a great series.

The Merchant's wife is this guy(the merchant) marrying the king's daughter because she totally insults everybody she meets. The beginning's almost the same as Good King Thrushbeard, only the Merchant wins the princess over by psyching her out, a little bit like Taming of the Shrew, he won't let her eat because the food's not good enough for her, won't let her sleep because the servants didn't clean the bedroom well enough, killed his favorite dog because it jumped on her. I think it's Italian in origin.

TEEEEEJ

Jayne Cobb: Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something RIGHT!
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
My favorite story was probably about the Seven Chinese Brothers, each of them with a special ability and were identical septuplets. I hope I got that name right, but it's been decades since I read it.

My favorite Disney movie would probably be Beauty and the Beast, partly because I like the fact that the heroine is probably the strongest of all the Disney Princesses and actually saves the prince. And also she's a book-reading nerd like me. wink

Aladdin would come in a close second, mostly because it has some of the best songs.

If anyone hasn't seen the movie, Enchanted, I'd encourage you to see it. It's a Disney movie that is both a parody and an homage to the Disney animated princess classics. There are literally hundreds of references to other Disney movies in it, some of them so obscure that you need to find a geek website that lists them all. It's a fabulous movie with great songs. The best two scenes would have to be with the songs, "Happy Working Song" and "That's How You Know." Three of the small parts are played by the actresses who voiced the parts of Ariel (Jodi Benson), Pocahontas (Judy Kuhn), and Belle (Paige O'Hara).

<"He knows that song. How does he know that song? I've never heard that song before."> Chuckle.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally posted by RL:
My favorite Disney movie would probably be Beauty and the Beast, partly because I like the fact that the heroine is probably the strongest of all the Disney Princesses and actually saves the prince. And also she's a book-reading nerd like me. wink
Mulan was also a Disney Princess who saved the prince. A good movie as well, but not one of my favorites.

Desiree

Top Banana
Top Banana
Swan Princess! One of my favorites <3

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard