Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
So, a few people have commented about how dead the boards have been lately, and I was wondering what our various excuses were. At the very least, this thread will make the boards not-so-dead.

I hope.

Anyway, here's my excuse:

I usually only read the fic and reply to other topics that seem interesting, or that give me something to say. I try to FDK the fic I read, but don't always get to it before I get distracted by something else, so even if I really liked the fic, I might forget to FDK, and that's at least one post every day or two that doesn't get made.

Add to that, I'm working on the next chapter (6) of PPKM (it's 10 pages long so far, and I'm ALMOST finished, then it'll be my betas' turns--see my signature for a link to the TOC), and it's coming along, but slowly.

I'm in a place where there's a lot of (necessary, I think) exposition that can't wait until later in the story, and I'm trying to work my way to the other side so that I can get back to the actual plot (read: the interesting stuff), but for the longest time, I had pretty much written myself into a corner. I knew where I wanted to go with the story, but I didn't have any stepping stones to get across the creek, so to speak. Only recently, when I kept the file open 24/7, staring at me day in and day out, was I able to think it through.

Anyway, once the chapter is finished (only one or two scenes of unknown length to go), I'll post that, update the TOC, post the FDK thread, and hopefully get started on chapter 7 (possibly after a break to enjoy the boards a bit more, but I seem to be on a roll, and if taking a break will mess that up, I'll just keep on pluggin' with the story).

Plus, this past Tuesday, I started taking that astronomy class I've always wanted to take, but that doesn't take up as much time as I thought it would, and I've been contributing to the silence since before then anyway.

So, what's your excuse (like mine), your justification, or your legitimate reason, for contributing to the deadness of the boards? Anyone else feel like sharing?

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
I check the boards probably half a dozen times a day, but since it's been pretty quiet, there's not much for me to comment on (although I do owe a few people FDK) and so I lurk. Quiet breeds more quiet. It's an evil, self-perpetuating cycle! smile

I do have a few fics in progress but I have no idea when they will be done.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Yes! I have checked them often today too. I figured starting a thread would at least help lessen the quiet. smile

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
From past experience, things do tend to get kind of quiet around this time of year... it's when people start reading for Kerth nominations, so they're spending less time writing/giving feedback. It does seem to be a January/February thing!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, I have an excuse. Since some months ago I can't access the boards at work anymore. mad I check the boards during my lunch time, but as the time is too short, I just copy the new chapters and send it to my work mail, so I can read it along the day. grumble

This time of the year is always slow. I miss the longer fics and the expectancy of a new chapter every day. grovel But I hope the writers and their muses will come back soon with amazing and incredible fics. wink

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Well - I'm here but I don't post FDK as often as I should. I am working on a very long [for me] fic - is my second longest ever currently. But life experience has taught me not to post until it's basically finished an until at least one other person has a copy of it in case of hard drive crashes.

That said, the semester started and I have to finish the grad class I took an I in last semester here pretty quick. After it's done I should have more time to finish said Nano fic and work on the one JoJo has been clamoring for for almost a year now - the prologue, IMO, is fabulous, and chapter 1 is finished and 2 is started but I'm having serious self doubts about making the rest of it live up to the prologue/premise. Nano took a turn I totally didn't expect [thanks, Bethy;)] and it's a fairly serious subject which I don't really want to delve into in great depth, but I don't want to gloss over either - the subject matter has been covered eloquently by at least one other fic and I desperately want to stick "Read *this fic* by *this author* to see what happens here then come back, but I can't wink . Alisha has graciously agreed to beta for me as well, so between her and my other betas/inspiration providors/bouncer offer people [Bethy, Missy, Jojo, Kaylle] maybe we can come up with a way to do it without getting into it too much but not glossing it over either.

A couple other ideas are floating around in my grey matter... some are premises which have been done or are similar to those that have been done.

And now I need to go take care of the 4 kids - they have nothing to do with my lack of writing time wink .
Carol

Z
Columnist
Columnist
Z
I definitely check them a couple times a day. My "excuse" is that I started a class and am also job hunting.

Mona

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I'm voting for time of year. Kerth time means quiet time.

Also, a lot of people in this fandom are of an age where they have a lot of life responsibilities that tend to tie them up. That's certainly true in my case.

And, to be honest, I haven't read new fanfic in over a year. So no FDK coming from here. I'd apologise, but the fact is, after spending my whole day reading, I just don't care anymore. I haven't read ANY fanfic in any fandom for a while now. I think it's a life-cycle thing. I come to the boards b/c they're a strange part of my life that I just can't leave behind smile

**~~**

Swoosh --->
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm around but work and school consume me. After drawing on and off the computer all day, I'm pretty much around for chats like these. I'm sorry to say I've been pretty lax in feedback...but even though my interest in fanfic is waning, I still think the community is great. wink

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I plead work/family issues -- I'm at work all day, where I can browse a little, but not too much, and when I get home, it's time to thrash-- um, encourage the kids to get their homework done before Daddy comes home. After we finally get them in bed, I'm tired.

Which is really annoying since I think I finally came up with a scenario I could use for the next story in "My" series, and I haven't a clue when I'd write it.

Also, we've been travelling lately. For Christmas, went to Grandma's place in Florida. In January, went to other Grandma's new house in Pennsylvania for a big family party. In two weeks, we'll be taking off for Florida again to spend a week at Walt Disney World. I've been reading books about planning your WDW vacation and have been slightly mind-boggled by it all. goofy

PJ
who went to a hockey game last night!

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Top Banana
Top Banana
Pam, I just went to Orlando in December and went to Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure. I'm not sure how old your kids are so not sure if they like roller coasters but Islands of Adventure had the best rollercoasters ever. And the Mummy ride at Universal was just spectacular. I suggest getting there right when it opens and working your way around to Universal after you do Islands of Adventure. The rollercoaster rides fill up fast and we were just able to hop right on! It was soooo fun!!! Just some advice if you were planning on going there! Have fun!!! dance

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard