Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#214798 01/19/08 10:51 PM
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Jojo started this thread last year and I deeply regret that I lost track halfway through and stopped counting.

So I thought it might be fun to repeat the process this year and this time I will keep track!

So far this year, I've read:

1. Sara Douglass:
The Nameless Day
The Wounded Hawk
[I love this trilogy which mixes real medieval history with the author's fantasy and am eagerly waiting for book 3 to arrive. I'm also going to check out her other books, too.]

2. Tess Gerritsen
Body Double
[I was given this for my birthday. An author I'd never heard of, but which I really loved. A great thriller, full of twists and turns. I've got the rest of her books on my wish list now. ]

3. Michael Connelly
Void Moon
[I had been expecting this to be another Harry Bosch book, but it was about a female heroine and I found it really refreshing. Kept me on the edge of my seat.]

4. Lost Light
[This one was Harry Bosch - I went through a phase of reading a lot of these in a short period of time and although I enjoyed them, I got fed up and haven't read any for a while, till now. It was nice to catch up with Harry again.]

5. Robert Goddard
Never Go Back
[I discovered RG in a charity shop and have picked up several of his books since. I love how no two are the same and he covers all kinds of situations/periods/characters. His books are always fresh and a surprise. I have to say though that this one wasn't one of my favourites. Still an enjoyable read, though.]

6. Jeffrey Deaver
The Cold Moon
[Another one I was given for my birthday. I've never been a huge fan of the Lincoln Rhyme books and characters, but this one introduced a fascinating new female character called Kathryn Dance. It looks as though his next, yet to be published novel deals with her exclusively and I'm looking forward to reading that one, now, as I really enjoyed the book because of her.]

7. John Farris
Fiends
[I picked this one up in my charity shop. It was an enjoyable, quirky and original horror novel.]

8. Phillip Pullman
Northern Lights
[Yup, finally got around to reading this one. I actually enjoyed it, after convincing myself that I wouldn't. I thought it had an old-fashioned style to it that greatly reminded me of favourite childhood authors like Alan Garner. It didn't hook me and I wasn't terribly keen to read on, but it was a good story that I enjoyed reading.]

That's been it, so far. I'm in the middle of book two of His Dark Materials, The Subtle Knife. So far, it's not engaging me as well as NL, but it's not bad.

So...what's on your list?

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#214799 01/20/08 12:28 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Well, yesterday I finished the last half of Plot by Ansen Dibell. Then, around 10pm or so, I started Wild Seed by Olivia E. Butler.

Around 1:30 this morning or so, I tried to go to sleep. I was half-way through the book already, and I knew that later today I'm going to be going to my grandmother's house--it's her 76th birthday.

But sleep was not in the cards for me, it seems--I just couldn't get comfortable, and my mind was too awake. So, I picked up the book again and finished it about 20 minutes ago. It's almost 6:30am now.

Next, I'm going to read The Chimes of Resdorn by DonnaLee Wheeler, who happens to be my other grandmother. I've been promising her that I'd read it for months now, but I was stuck in the middle of that other book, and I wanted to read Wild Seed before anything else, because of the snippets I'd read in Orson Scott Card's book on writing sci-fi and fantasy--he made it sound so utterly intriguing that I could not resist!

After my grandma's book, I have a few other books that a lady from church gave to me since she and I share a love for sci-fi/fantasy and she doesn't have as much time (nor, I suspect, as good eye sight) as she used to for reading.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
#214800 01/20/08 01:02 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Jeffrey Deaver
The Cold Moon
[Another one I was given for my birthday. I've never been a huge fan of the Lincoln Rhyme books and characters, but this one introduced a fascinating new female character called Kathryn Dance. It looks as though his next, yet to be published novel deals with her exclusively and I'm looking forward to reading that one, now, as I really enjoyed the book because of her.]
Lab, JD's first Kathryn Dance novel is called The Sleeping Doll and it came out last year. Haven't read it - I like Lincoln Rhyme and co, so I tend to limit myself to those of his books, although did enjoy The Cold Moon, so maybe I'll give it a try.

blush So far this year I've read about 1 chapter of Rhett Butler's People, which I have owned for approximately 2&1/2 months. Don't think I'll be making 50 this year!

When Life Gives You Green Velvet Curtains, Make a Green Velvet Dress.
#214801 01/20/08 02:42 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I started up a list last year, but halfway through the year I stopped updating it, so I have no idea how many books I'd read. I got myself a library card last week after not having one for almost 10 years, and I'm abusing it already. There were a few books I wanted to read but I wasn't sure if I wanted to buy, and the library is the perfect solution! Unfortunately, as one of those is the His Dark Materials trilogy, I have to get on a waiting list for the books. Bah.

So far this year, I have:

Shadow Dance - Julie Garwood
Air Apparent - Piers Anthony (the latest Xanth novel)
Someone to Love - Jude Deveraux
Confessor - Terry Goodkind (The final book in the Sword of Truth series)
Temptation - Jude Deveraux
A Summer to Remember - Mary Balogh
Quinn's Woman - Susan Mallery

I think I'll be starting Northern Lights sometime today.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#214802 01/20/08 06:27 AM
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Lab, JD's first Kathryn Dance novel is called The Sleeping Doll and it came out last year
Really? When I tagged it on Amazon the entry said pre-order. Maybe that was the paperback. I'll go check it again. Thanks.

ETA: Yeah, that's the paperback. Published on June 2008. Strangely, the only availability on the hardback is secondhand, which is odd for a book only published in June last year.

Ah well - can't afford to be buying anything at the moment anyway, so I can probably wait for the paperback to come out. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
#214803 01/20/08 06:49 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Unfortunately, as one of those is the His Dark Materials trilogy, I have to get on a waiting list for the books.
Well then, I guess it's lucky for me that I bought the whole trilogy a few years ago. I liked the series as a whole, though there were parts that just made me shiver. I can't believe they're treating it as a children's series in the movie--even though the main characters are children, I don't think the books are really written for that age group.

Maybe I'll re-read them once the co-worker I've been lending them to is finished with book three. . . . After I've read my grandma's book, and the three that I've gotten from the lady at church first, of course.

Gotta make sure my "to be read" list doesn't fall into chaos, after all.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
#214804 01/20/08 02:06 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Well, it's not exactly a children's novel, but it is listed as Young Adult. The PG-13 rating is equivalent, but yeah, the trailers were geared more towards young kids. smirk

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#214805 01/21/08 04:54 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
From the last thread:

ETA: By the way, JoJo, was that the first time you'd read [i]Dragonflight, or had you read it before? Have you read any of the rest of the Pern series? I've read the whole thing (plus anything else I've been able to get my hands on by Anne McCaffrey, and I absolutely adore it! I have to say though, that Anne McCaffrey is only my second favorite author, but she comes in very close after Orson Scott Card.
No I read this book through the White Dragon when I was in High school. I also read the bard versions of the events. My library only had random ones of the series after that and I never finished. I want to try to read more of them this year. smile

My list for this year so far:

1. Kiss of Midnight (The Midnight Breed, Book 1) by Lara Adrian
2. It Happened One Autumn (Wallflower Quartet, Bk. 2) by Lisa Kleypas
3. Devil in Winter (Wallflower Quartet, Bk. 3) by Lisa Kleypas
4. Scandal in Spring (Wallflower Quartet, Bk. 4) by Lisa Kleypas
5. Someone to Watch over Me by Lisa Kleypas
6. Tithe: A Modern Faerie Tale by Holly Black
7. Valiant: A Modern Tale of Faerie by Holly Black
8. Ironside: A Modern Faery's Tale by Holly Black

I really enjoyed the books by Holly Black. I hope she continues to write this series. ^__^

Currently I am reading: Beauty by Robin McKinley since I have gotten into the retelling of fairy tails. Anyone know of any other good ones along that vein?

Also Labrat: as for the Dark Materials books... I too made it through the first book and thought it was an okay story. The second book I was okay with until about halfway through and then not only did I struggle with the writing style but at the end of the book I decided not to read the last one because the plot line was just to nonsensical to me. Let me know if you finish the third one though. I'd like your opinion of it as I made just give it another go.

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
#214806 01/21/08 05:54 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Currently I am reading: Beauty by Robin McKinley
I absolutely love that book and how it mixes up the fairy tale. I haven't read any others by the author, but have heard that they're also good as well.

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
#214807 01/21/08 06:24 AM
C
Features Writer
Features Writer
C
Currently Reading : The Wicked Ways of a Duke by Laura Lee Guhrke

and loving it so far. smile

CG
------------

( oo * Work) + (1 * Hubby) + (2 * Kids) = 0 * Time
#214808 01/21/08 07:44 AM
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Also Labrat: as for the Dark Materials books... I too made it through the first book and thought it was an okay story. The second book I was okay with until about halfway through and then not only did I struggle with the writing style but at the end of the book I decided not to read the last one because the plot line was just to nonsensical to me. Let me know if you finish the third one though. I'd like your opinion of it as I made just give it another go.
Funnily enough, it's been exactly the opposite for me. TSK didn't really spark for me until about two thirds in and then I really quite enjoyed it. I'm not even sure why it wasn't catching my interest up till then because in many ways I think it's a much more interesting story than NL. But finished it now and it wasn't half bad. I wouldn't mind reading book three, but I'm not desperate to, if you know what I mean. I will get around to it at some point though. Probably before the end of the year.

So...adding in...

9. Phillip Pullman
The Subtle Knife

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
#214809 01/21/08 01:09 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Currently I am reading: Beauty by Robin McKinley since I have gotten into the retelling of fairy tails. Anyone know of any other good ones along that vein?
I might know of some, but I'd have to think about it a while first. Something almost like a fairytale re-telling though: Winter Rose by Patricia McKillip. It's really interesting, though I can't really remember a fairytale that it might be a re-telling of, for some reason, "Snow White" keeps popping in my head. Either that, or there's this one fairytale with an ice queen in an ice palace or something (can't remember the name of it, but I'm pretty sure it's either a Brothers Grimm or a Hans Christian Anderson tale) that the book is closer to.

Darcy\'s Place
#214810 01/21/08 01:17 PM
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I've not read Beauty, so I'm not sure what genre it would come into. But a marvellous retelling of the Snow Queen is done in Joan D. Vinge's SF/Fantasy novel of the same name. It's always been one of my favourites.

And, if you enjoy it, there are at least two sequels - World's End and The Summer Queen.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
#214811 01/21/08 01:50 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Originally posted by DSDragon:
I might know of some, but I'd have to think about it a while first. Something almost like a fairytale re-telling though: Winter Rose by Patricia McKillip. It's really interesting, though I can't really remember a fairytale that it might be a re-telling of, for some reason, "Snow White" keeps popping in my head. Either that, or there's this one fairytale with an ice queen in an ice palace or something (can't remember the name of it, but I'm pretty sure it's either a Brothers Grimm or a Hans Christian Anderson tale) that the book is closer to.
From the description, it sounds like Snow White and Rose Red, which is nothing like the Snow White story itself. Snow White and Rose Red are two sisters who befriend a bear, who is not what he seems. I'm going to have to get my book of fairy tales out some time to reread that story.

Edit: Oh, never mind, here's the story of Snow White and Rose Red .

#214812 01/21/08 02:55 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hmmm . . . Nope, Winter Rose isn't a re-telling of "Snow-White and Rose-Red." There are a couple of similarities though--like the two sisters, one who prefers to stay home, and the other who likes to be outside in the forest.

There are also similarities to "The Snow Queen," I think, but I can't really name them.

huh Whether or not it's a re-telling of a classic fairytale, I'd still recommend Winter Rose, just for the imagery (great discription in that book, there is) and for McKillip's rather neat writing style. Not to mention, the story itself is an intriguing fantasy/mystery.

Darcy\'s Place
#214813 01/23/08 08:17 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wow. Here I thought that I was on track with my book-per-week plan, and you're all way ahead. <g> Anyway, here's my list for this year so far:

Phillip Pullman - The Ruby in the Smoke. Phillip Pullman, is, I swear, my new favourite author. This book was just fantastic and regrettably short. I've been trying to get my hands on the sequels, but so far, I probably haven't looked hard enough.

Phillip Pullman - The Golden Compass. Of course... seems everyone is reading it now. <g> This started out with my not really getting why there was a huge fuss about the release of the movie, and my friend informing me that it's a rather popular book. <g> I'd heard of His Dark Materials, but I didn't know the separate titles. So I picked it up at a used bookstore... and loved it more than words can say. Best book I've read in years. (And I'm a little miffed that the movie made so many changes - put me off wanting to go see it.)

Meg Cabot - Big Boned. This was meant as a light buffer before picking up The Subtle Knife. It's the 3rd in a series of mysteries, and one aimed at adults rather than Meg's usual YA. Cute.

And now gleefully reading the Subtle Knife. cool

Julie smile

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
#214814 01/24/08 04:58 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Julie: oh!!! Big Boned is out??? I loved her others from that series so I'm going to have to run out and get that one. laugh

#214815 01/24/08 09:20 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Yup! It's been out for a little while already. Long enough that I found it in a used book store, too! I was so shocked to see it there (but very happy <g>).

Julie smile

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
#214816 02/22/08 08:34 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
How is everyone doing on their books?

I'm on number 14 now. smile

Anyone run across any good reads?

#214817 02/23/08 02:41 AM
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Updating:

10. Gallows Thief by Bernard Cornwell

I spent much time last year reading through BC's Viking, Arthurian and Grail Quest series. This was a bit of a change of pace from those but I just loved it. It had a lot to say about the death penalty in the 1800's and the hypocrisy and callousness of those in charge of the system. But although thought-provoking it was no heavy read. With wonderful characters - I especially loved Sally! - and whipsharp dialogue, often very funny, I wouldn't mind seeing more adventures of Rider & Co. in the future.

11. The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara II : Antrax by Terry Brooks

I'd read part one of this last year and although it was by no means a dud, it didn't exactly set me on fire to read the rest either. But I did pick up this one when I saw it in the charity shop and it was just as good if not slightly more entertaining. I'm still not desperate to find out what happens next, but if I ever come across part 3, I'll pick it up.

12 & 13. Indigo Slam by Robert Crais / Bad Luck & Trouble by Lee Child

Okay, I confess it – I'm in love with Elvis Cole and Jack Reacher. laugh Robert Crais' laconic detective in the style of Mike Hammer is fairly new to me – I picked up two of his books last year – but I'm rapidly catching up, fast as I can. I love the snappy dialogue and characters, especially the relationship between Cole and his taciturn partner, Pike.

I've read every JR book out there and this one was the latest. A bit of a change of pace, with Jack meeting up with his old army team, rather than being on his own, but it made for a great read and it was interesting to see him interacting with the others and what it said about him. Had a ball with both of these and can't wait to visit with Elvis and Jack in the future.

14. California Angel by Nancy Taylor Rosenberg

I was new to this author and the book wasn't really what it was presented on the cover. Instead of the courtroom thriller (the court stuff was dealt with in about half a page!) it turned out to be a kind of modern fairytale about a woman who, for years, has had dreams that she is saving children from death and danger. She finds out the events in her dreams are real and gradually comes to believe – with the help and hindrance of the other characters around her – that she is a modern-day angel. Despite it not being my usual genre, I found it an enjoyable read. I probably wouldn't look out for the author again, but I certainly didn't find it a waste of my time and I even found myself welling up just a tad at the ending.

15. The Ballad of Frankie Silver by Sharyn McCrumb

I found this one intriguing – it sought to marry the true story of Frankie Silver, a young woman hanged for the murder of her husband in 1833, with the modern tale of a young Sheriff in the same county who, while convalescing after being shot and disturbed by the case of a young man he helped convict whose execution is due shortly, becomes intrigued with her case. It did a good job of working the two together and the characters were sympathetic and likeable.

16. The Echo by Minette Walters

I've read a few of MW's novels now, and this was the first that I had trouble with. After an intriguing start, I found it very hard to get into and it wasn't until two-thirds of the way through, when three of the main characters came together and began interacting with one another, that I really became interested.

17. Kisscut by Karen Slaughter

I had to check back to the cover of this one to remember what it was about – which probably tells you all you want to know. laugh It was a fairly standard thriller. If I found more from her I'd probably pick them up and read them.

18. The Angel Gateway by Jane Adams

This was the second book in my latest reading batch that sought to marry an old story with the new. In this case, a weary, newly-retired detective, suffering the mental and physical wounds of a horrific attack, takes over his deceased aunt's country cottage and finds it haunted (although in the most tenuous sense) by the ghost of a young woman who was hanged for witch-craft. I found it really enjoyable. I learned some things I'd not known about how witchcraft trials were conducted – how thoroughly, for instance, that the deck was stacked against the defendant; they really had no chance in hell of proving their innocence, despite the most tenuous of evidence against them. I found myself less interested in the modern mystery as our detective sought to discover who had attacked him and why, but the two elements meshed fairly well.

19. Life Support by Tess Gerritson

My second book by this author, new to me who I'm seeking to catch up with. This was one of her medical thrillers – I tend to be less interested in medical thrillers than others – in the style of Robin Cook et al. I actually found it to be not very original, there were few surprises in it for me and the so-called shocks I'd guessed about half a book back. But it was saved for me by some very sympathetic characters.

20. Circle of Pearls by Rosalind Laker

The second book I've read by this historical author and just as enjoyable as the last one. Despite her unwavering bias towards all things royal. <G> This one was about a Royalist family struggling to survive in the England of Cromwell and the Puritans, spanning several decades. Enjoyable.

21. Child of the Phoenix by Barbara Erskine

This author is a source of both enjoyment and frustration for me. I've only read a few of her books so far, but with every one I've had the same problems : forced angst, dependant half the time on characters behaving immensely illogically or stupidly and plot themes which repeat over and over when they should have been resolved after the first incident. This one was no different. Despite the flaws though, there's always something about them that has me still reading and I enjoyed it – as I have the others – despite its many flaws. I'm at a loss as to how she manages that, but she seems to! goofy

That's me for now. I had a stroke of the most bizarre luck this week. I'd run out of books and couldn't get to my usual charity store. I had a doc appointment on Thursday and suggested to Stuart that I'd pop into my local health centre on the way back, see if I could pick something up there. I wasn't hopeful because I never tend to find anything to my tastes there – certainly never thrillers which are rare – but if I could pick up even one or two to tide me over it would be better than nothing.

Well, I went in and stood there with my mouth open. Every shelf of the two low bookcases was stuffed with thrillers! Many my favourite authors, most of them in mint condition. It was like someone had stocked the place just for me. I basically just emptied the bookcases into my bag. goofy I ended up with 25 books – so I'm settling in for some great reading! I was on a high all day.

LabRat :

The Musketeers
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard