Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#214734 01/18/08 10:39 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Some of us, I'm sure, are watching the US Presidential Primaries. It's been a wild ride so far, and might remain so for months.

I don't want to get into specifics on any candidates (could get explosive, don't want that) but I did want to state, for the record:

Mike Huckabee does *not* represent all Evangelical Christians.

There, I've said it. He's a Baptist, and a former preacher. Great. I'm not a Baptist but my church has a lot in common with them, so I'm cool with that -- but so what? I'd be more comfortable voting for the Mormon in the race (he's not my first choice but he seems okay). Huckabee's policies, on the other hand... well, let's just say I'm getting to where I wince everytime "Huckabee" and "evangelical" are in the same sentence.

Okay. I feel better now. You may now go back to your regularly scheduled message boards. smile

PJ
who has a favorite candidate but won't bring up his name. laugh

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#214735 01/18/08 11:35 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Interesting , Pam, to read your perspective. As a politics junkie, I'm really interested in your election. Besides, so much of what happens in the US affects Canada.

I've wanted to raise the election as a topic but have been afraid to.

I'd be interested to hear what the Americans here are thinking about this election.

c.

#214736 01/18/08 01:21 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Well, I've signed up to be a local election judge again, but I can't say I know much about the candidates or anything.

In the past, I've looked the information up at the League of Women Voters website, but it's all so . . . spread out there. I need something concise, with short summaries about each candidate's stance on the main issues--not fifty bajillion pages worth of Q&A from the candidates.

Add to that the fact that I'm not very good at following politics or figuring out the different pros and cons of each side of an issue, and I fear that I will probably be going into this election quite blind.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
#214737 01/18/08 02:28 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
I'd be interested to hear what the Americans here are thinking about this election.
As a US citizen I'm willing to offer my perspective but this will be the only post I offer on the topic. There's only one candidate worthy of my vote. Based on his platform of "Secure the Borders, Kill the Terrorists, and Punch the Hippies" I'd say Fred Thompson would be our best bet. I like his increase tax cuts, decrease welfare, and anti-abortion stance too. It's got a personal responsibility ring to it that makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

Again, this is all I have to add. I'm done until it's all over with and if it ain't Fred Thompson, I'll be in my bunker praying for the Rapture.

Jayne Cobb: Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something RIGHT!
#214738 01/18/08 04:43 PM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Originally posted by DSDragon:
I need something concise, with short summaries about each candidate's stance on the main issues
Darcy, I suggest taking a look at MSNBC's candidates & issues matrix. It's not a lot of info but it might give you a place to start.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21116732

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#214739 01/18/08 05:17 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Thanks for the link, Lisa! Given the issues closest to me, I am definitely voting for the democratic candidate (big surprise, right?). I'm torn though, between Clinton and Obama. It's a really tough call; I feel really ignorant about the specifics of a lot of the positions the candidates take, mostly because the political game is based on throwing clarity out the window.

*sigh*

But what makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside is that a woman and a black man have a shot at being president of the United States. I'm not even going to pretend that it doesn't move me.

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
#214740 01/18/08 05:28 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hey All! Here's a really awesome website where you answer questions on how you feel about certain issues and then it scores you with the candidates on how you agree and disagree. It's pretty awesome. Might help you figure out who to vote for. Check it out! Vote Match

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw
#214741 01/18/08 05:43 PM
Columnist
Columnist
We have our primaries soon and I have no idea who I want to support. I had a front runner but now I can't tell who I really trust.

#214742 01/18/08 08:34 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
This is not an easy decision to make, nor should it be. The Federal government in the US has, for quite some time, behaved as if an aphorism I read in an SF novel some years ago was true. The proverb was as follows.

The function of government is to perpetuate itself.
That shouldn't be true, but it seems to be so regardless of "should be" or "oughta be." I don't know of any government in history which has voluntarily surrendered its powers to its citizens, including our own.

So choosing a candidate - and then voting for whoever the two parties actually nominate - is a hard choice. The news analysis columns I've read in the past few days seem to say that they have no real idea who the next President of the US will be.

And let me echo Alcyone's comment about the possibility of either a woman or a black man being president. I have no problem with either of those eventualities. A person's gender or skin color neither qualifies nor disqualifies that person from public service. I hope this election is decided on the issues and not on the personalities of the candidates or the effectiveness of their publicity departments, but I'm not going to hold my breath over it.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#214743 01/18/08 09:29 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Now, I'm all paranoid about being misread on a hasty remark (not saying I have been, but just in case...).

I meant the historical aspect of these upcoming elections moves me emotionally--for deeply personal reasons. Reasons that will have nothing to do with the candidate I will choose to support.

What I meant by not pretending it doesn't move me, is that I'm also not going to fake that it's business as usual. To do so downplays all the struggles that made this election so significant to begin with.

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
#214744 01/18/08 11:01 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Since the United States is the world's only real superpower, whose military arsenal is many times greater than the rest of the world's put together, the President of the United States becomes, in some ways, the President of the whole world. The General Secretary of the United Nations is nothing in comparison with the President of the United States.

So when the people of the United States elect their President, the rest of the world gets that President too, only we didn't get the chance to vote for him (or her?). So it shouldn't be surprising that we, too, are interested in who gets elected.

There has never been a female or a black President of the United States before. I quite agree that what really matters when it comes to the President is his (or her?) politics. But I agree with Alcyone that if a woman or a black man were to get elected this time, it would be a historical first time, after more than two hundred years of American history and after forty-three white male Presidents. Surely such a thing would be moving in itself. Suddenly the position of "President of the world" would be open to people on the "wrong side" of the color and gender barrier.

Ann

#214745 01/19/08 12:02 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
This is such an odd election. A couple weeks ago, my paper ran a story on A1 about the SIXTEEN top candidates. Granted, this was before the Iowa caucus, but seriously, I can't think of an election when there was such an element of unknown! Sixteen?!?

An Associated Press poll released today said that McCain has jumped out in front of the Republican hopefuls and Guiliani has fallen. I am not too surprised there. I think Guiliani has a lot of charisma, but he lacks the big-time experience that the other candidates have. Yes, he was the mayor of New York City, and it was during Sept. 11, but he still was only a mayor. Not a governor, like Bush was before he was elected president, or Mike Huckabee and Mitt Romney, or a U.S. senator like McCain, Obama and Clinton.

(On a side note, I think the same issue is what will keep Edwards from getting the Democratic nomination; he didn't return to the Senate after losing with Kerry in 2004 and therefore only has less than a full term under his belt.)

The same poll said that Clinton is still leading the Democrats, but that Obama is closing in. This doesn't surprise me much either. We haven't had a female president, nor have we had a non-white president, so they almost balance each other out on the "novel concept" scale.

Unlike 2004, where we knew it was going to be Bush and either Kerry or Edwards, I don't think we're going to know who's going to get the nomination for quite a while. My state's primary isn't even until mid-February.

Clark: "You don't even know the meaning of the word 'humility,' do you?"

Lois: "Never had a need to find out its meaning."

"Curiosity... The Continuing Saga"
#214746 01/19/08 12:12 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Alcyone wrote:

It's a really tough call; I feel really ignorant about the specifics of a lot of the positions the candidates take, mostly because the political game is based on throwing clarity out the window.
Yes, I'm finding this especially this time out. I've seen very little in the media that got into the issues. The evening news has seemed to cover little more than personality, style, and the potential for clashes between candidates (if it bleeds it leads smile ). Even the so called news network, CNN has been like that. To be fair, our Canadian media has not be much better.

The newspapers have offered a bit more information, inside the paper of course ( btw, is there an 'inside' if it's an online edition?), but not much analysis beyond trying to explain what yet another of their interminable polls means. I've really had to dig.

Found out more than I ever wanted to know about cacusing though. laugh Gotta say there's potential there for an L & C fic.

Thanks for that link, Lisa. I'll check it out.

Hopefully, now, as the campaign continues, the media will start to ask the hard questions and also the all important follow-up questions. But I did notice, yesterday, that there was more focus on the candidates' economic policies.

btw, what's an 'election judge'?

c.

edit: EditorJax posted just before I did so i didn't see her post. So disclaimer - haven't seen her paper but I'm sure its coverage is outstanding. smile

#214747 01/19/08 01:27 AM
Kerth
Kerth
I presume that in the L&C world they can't have Superman as a write-in candidate since he wasn't US born.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#214748 01/19/08 01:48 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I'm watching the primaries with interest, but I'm not getting hooked on any one candidate yet. I'm registered as Independant, so I can't vote in any primaries. I'll start looking at the hard issues and each candidate once most of the primaries are done and each party has a clear front runner or has a declared candidate.

I also think it's fascinating that both a black man and a woman are at the head of the race. I'm not sure that they're the best people to be the first in the White House, but that's my own early opinion. It may change later on. laugh

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#214749 01/19/08 08:12 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Thanks for the links! I'll check them out. Although I'm still not sure what I think about the issues myself--I mean, I could choose one stance, but I want to know what the pros and cons are on each side, so that I can figure out whether or not I really want to stick with that stance. I don't want to make a decision based on old or incomplete data--or the opinions of my parents, teachers, friends, etc.

In other words, I truly want to be informed about what could go right (or wrong) about making decision A, or why decision B could be good or bad, instead of just going by what I've been taught my whole life without answers to the whys of different candidates' solutions.

Let me put that another way--if there were a candidate that would make all the same decisions about the issues that I would make right now, I want to know what could possibly go wrong with those decisions, and what would probably go right as well. And then, for the real election, I would base my choice of candidate on who would make the better decisions, not on who would make my decisions.

Does that make any sense?

btw, what's an 'election judge'?
Election judges are the people at the polling places who make sure you know how to use the voting machines (in those places where there are electronic polls), and (in places that still have only paper ballots) make sure everybody gets to vote and such. We also make sure there is no electioneering inside the polls, post voting statistics at the end of elections, etc.

I'm registered as Independant, so I can't vote in any primaries.
I'm registered as unaffiliated, so I definitely can't vote in the primaries either.

And by the way, how stupid is it that we have like, six parties, but only the democrats and republicans are allowed to have primaries? And why do most people only vote either democrat or republican anyway, when one of the other parties could possibly have the better candidate?!?

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
#214750 01/19/08 09:04 AM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C

And by the way, how stupid is it that we have like, six parties, but only the democrats and republicans are allowed to have primaries? And why do most people only vote either democrat or republican anyway, when one of the other parties could possibly have the better candidate?!?
That depends, at least in part, on the state. In Missouri, you don't register with a party [though you can be a member of one]. When you go to the polls on Super Tuesday, you tell them which ballot you want. There's several to choose from though I don't remember how many off the top of my head.

As for why... Most people vote for one of the two biggies, because in our winner-take-all, Electoral College system, it's unlikely in today's political climate for a 3rd party to win and people feel they're 'throwing away' their vote if they vote for the Libertarian or Green or whatever candidate. Arguments can be made that Ross Perot cost GHW Bush the election in 1992 because most Perot voters would have voted Bush if Perot wasn't an option. The same argument can be made for Nader and Gore in 2000, though the percentage of Nader votes was much smaller, the election was much closer in places like FL. It would take huge numbers of the electorate all across the country to decide to vote for a third party candidate for that person to win so most, it seems, choose the candidate from the R/D parties that they find less 'offensive' so that their vote for the Perot/Nader in a particular election doesn't help the other candidate win. Does that make sense?

Not saying it's right or anything, but that's the way it seems to be to me.
Carol

#214751 01/28/08 03:19 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter

And Carolm said:

As for why... Most people vote for one of the two biggies, because in our winner-take-all, Electoral College system, it's unlikely in today's political climate for a 3rd party to win and people feel they're 'throwing away' their vote if they vote for the Libertarian or Green or whatever candidate.
To follow up on Carol's answer--just in case you want to know...other parties do have systems in place to elect their officials--it's just that they're usually based on in-party elections, not general public elections. This country is polarized between Republicans and Democrats such that the other parties have a fairly small number of membership so as to make the "primary" system not a viable method of electing people to run for office.

As Carol already mentioned, it really does depend on the state how voting happens. For example, I'm in Michigan. Here you can vote either Republican or Democrat at the primaries. You don't need to be registered as either one in order to vote. So you could be independent and show up to vote for the Reps one year and the Dems the next. The only thing is that you are ONLY allowed to vote in one party's elections. So if you'd like to vote John Republican for Senate and Jane Democrat for President, you have to pick one or the other. It's also an interesting note that, this time around, there were some people who showed up to vote in the Republican primary, for example, who were actually Democrats...because the Democratic race was pointless thanks to the party's castigation. So some Democrats figured they'd cast their vote elsewhere. Really, they did this for the same reason most people vote one party or the other: you want your vote to count.

Honestly, thanks to the electoral college system, if you live in certain states (sorry Wyoming), you almost don't even need to BOTHER to vote...because your vote barely matters. This means that candidates, especially in the general election, spend the majority of their time in key states and ignore the rest. For this reason, every time the general election comes around, there are always a few people agitating for elections by popular vote only, not by electoral college. This, however, is a hard system to change given that the college is written into the Constitution--and sometimes the fact that it's so unproductive is frustrating.

But as the saying goes in politics: the system isn't built to make good laws; it's built to keep bad laws from going through.

**~~**

Swoosh --->
#214752 01/28/08 04:28 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
But as the saying goes in politics: the system isn't built to make good laws; it's built to keep bad laws from going through.
Then it's probably failed in either case.

Darcy\'s Place
#214753 01/28/08 05:22 PM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I presume that in the L&C world they can't have Superman as a write-in candidate since he wasn't US born.
Have you read the stories about President Kent? The Secret Service parts were hilarious.

BTW, the electoral college may have many flaws but they are an integral part of our history. It was part of the comprimise between the small states who wanted equal representation for everybody and the big states who wanted representation based on population alone. It's a very good comprimise. Besides, when elections are close EVERY vote and every electoral vote counts, so don't sell Wyoming short. (Especially since state and local elections are equally important.)

Another note about electoral judges, in my state there are at least two judges at every polling place and they are never from the same political party.

Elisabeth

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard