Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#214371 01/17/08 12:42 PM
Columnist
Columnist
I can see why Wendy (and I assume many others) would have issues with Judith McNaught, but I do have to say that her A Kingdom of Dreams and most especially Whitney, My Love are huge favourites of mine.
I adore Whitney, My Love! I reread it every few years. For me a romance novel has to have a good story.

I also reread The Gift by Julie Garwood. I am attempting to slough through a book a teacher said at school was "wonderful" but 100 pages in I am still not seeing the wonderful.

#214372 02/22/08 09:26 AM
P
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
P
I'd like to reccomend an author who i suppose
wouldn't fall under the "romance author" label
but romance is a such a strong element in her books i think some of you might enjoy her books.
Charlaine Harris is the author. She has several
series, some fall under the mystery series label.
But my favorite and the one that will soon have a HBO series called True Blood is the Southern
Vampire series. They began with Dead Until Dark
and there are i believe 5 other novels in the series with a new one due out in May. Don't let the vampire part put you off. Sookie Stackhouse
the protagonist is not a vampire by the way. I really don't know where to start to describe the novels except that Sookie is a marvelous character with a wonderful sense of humor. They are so fascinating i've read each one several times and am eagerly awaiting the new one. Here is a link to the authors' website if you would like to read more about the books.
http://www.charlaineharris.com/
There are a couple of Yahoo lists devoted to the novels too. You can find the books at the public library if you want to take a look without buying one first.
Patti

#214373 02/22/08 09:41 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I read and re-read the following authors. Most of these stories have a component in addition to romance. Some of them have already been mentioned:

1. Nora Roberts / JD Robb
2. Amanda Quick / Jayne Ann Krentz / Jayne Castle
3. Linda Howard
4. Karen Robards
5. Karen Rose (more Thriller than Romance, tho)

By the way many of Nora Roberts' books have a Superman reference smile
wave

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
#214374 02/22/08 07:23 PM
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
I usually don't read a lot of romance, but I recently finished reading I Do (But I Don't) (yes Dean starred in the movie if you have seen it) and it's sequel I Did (But I Wouldn't Now) by Cara Lockwood which I found enjoyable and actually really hysterical. Though if you read the book Denise Richards looks nothing like how Lauren is described in the book. Fireman Nick on the other hand well any man (not just Dean, but he adds an extra sexiness to it) looks good dressed as a fireman.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
#214375 02/23/08 07:10 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally posted by Crazy_Babe:
Fireman Nick on the other hand well any man (not just Dean, but he adds an extra sexiness to it) looks good dressed as a fireman.
*sigh*

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Originally posted by Patti:

Sookie Stackhouse the protagonist is not a vampire by the way. I really don't know where to start to describe the novels except that Sookie is a marvelous character with a wonderful sense of humor.
The Southern Vampire novels are just fantastic. I only found them last month, but at the moment I already read book 6 and book 7 I'll buy next month. Book 8 though has to wait until it's published in May this year wink . Ever since I've read the 1st book I have a totally different view on Elvis Presley laugh . I only say ... Bubba clap

"Superman is what I can do. Clark is who I am."
#214376 04/16/08 09:55 AM
Columnist
Columnist
I found a new one of my favs. Louise Allen. I love her books especially Model debutante or bride's seduction.

#214377 04/17/08 11:11 AM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I like Mary Balogh and Amanda Quick
But if you can find Elizabeth Mansfield,snatch it up. Her books are really well written but harder to find as they are a bit older -- ten years or so.

#214378 04/20/08 09:08 AM
Columnist
Columnist
Mary Balogh is great too and Nicola Cornick and Anne Ashley.

#214379 05/08/08 07:17 AM
Blogger
Blogger
I LOVE romance/time-travel books.

One of my favorite authors is Jo Ann Simon. She wrote "Love Once in Passing" and "Love Once Again"; SUPER books.

As a young girl I loved all of Lillian Peake's stuff from Harlequin. I still have all the books in my home library!

Bobbett

#214380 05/08/08 11:31 AM
Z
Columnist
Columnist
Z
I've caught the romance book bug and recently have enjoyed books by:

Karen Rose Smith
Karen Sandler
Raeanne Thayne
Janice K Johnson

A romance novel related question, does anyone know if or when the reprint of Susan Mallery's book Quinn's Woman is coming out? All amazon.com and my local Borders says is May of this year.

Thanks,
Mona

P.S.S. of sorts lol..I recently went to eharlequin.com and it appeared that you could get 2 free books with no obligation-I was wondering if anyone has found this to be actually the case?

#214381 05/08/08 12:23 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
P.S.S. of sorts lol..I recently went to eharlequin.com and it appeared that you could get 2 free books with no obligation-I was wondering if anyone has found this to be actually the case?
Yes, but... There's a catch, though it's minor. By asking for the books, you're actually signing up to their Reader Service, which is a subscription - they'll send you four books a month (or however many they do now) and you pay for the books plus shipping. I think the books are discounted.

When you get your parcel of free books, you have some time - maybe it's two weeks, I'm not sure - to return the invoice, marked CANCEL. You can phone up, too, and ask them to cancel your subscription. They'll ask for a reason - just say you don't want to subscribe right now. So, yes, you do get two free books, but you MUST remember to cancel the subscription otherwise you'll get more books sent to you and you'll be billed for them.

(Yes, I have got free books from them a couple of times wink ).

Wendy

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#214382 05/08/08 04:53 PM
Z
Columnist
Columnist
Z
Thanks, Wendy! I will have to sneakily try that. smile

Mona

#214383 05/09/08 03:06 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Of course, if you keep the subscription, they usually send free gifts with the books. I've gotten a whole bunch of pink wine glasses that way. Now if only I drank wine...

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#214384 05/09/08 05:38 PM
Z
Columnist
Columnist
Z
You reminded me of something, Karen. I think I have seen an insert in books I've gotten before that has a scratch off panel for "2 mystery gifts" in addition to the supposed 2 free books. I never checked into it but I will if I see it again. Also, I went to eharlequin this morning and it looks like the "free" books cost $1.99 shipping-not bad though.

I'm with Karen on those wineglasses, as I do not drink either. Maybe you could "trade" them for 2 more books, lol? wink

Mona

#214385 05/13/08 12:52 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
At the moment I read book 2 of "the MacKade Brothers" by Nora Roberts

Some of you mentioned her name here and so I bought the first book of this series and read it in February when I was on vacation in only 2 days. You say I don't have to tell you that I really enjoyed it. When I was back home I bought the other 3 books. And now I almost finished book 2 and will take book 3 to my next vacation wink

#214386 05/28/08 12:52 PM
Blogger
Blogger
My favorites are:

Katherine Kinglsey (historical)
Catherine Anderson (mostly contemporary)
Sharon Sala/Dinah McCall (same author-contemporary)

I used to read a ton of romances, but I've slacked off the last couple of years after discovering fanfiction (SW and LC mostly).

My sister absolutely loves Janet Evonavich (sp?).

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard