Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#214351 01/02/08 05:25 AM
C
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
C
Anyone here wanting to share the names of the authors whose novels (romance only, please!) they gobble up anyday, anytime, anywhere?

My favorites :

Julia Quinn (historical)
Judith McNaught (contemporary, historical too...)
Lisa Kleypas (historical)
Julie Garwood (historical only)

CG
------------

( oo * Work) + (1 * Hubby) + (2 * Kids) = 0 * Time
#214352 01/02/08 05:44 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Catherine Coulter (historical, present day)
Jude Deveraux (historical, present day. Her Montgomery/ Taggert series are to die for!)

You named my other two favorites. I have others that I flirt with but those are my main romance authors. smile

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
#214353 01/02/08 06:25 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I enjoy romance, especially historical - but for me it's got to be properly researched and (a)containing few anachronisms and (b) appropriate dialogue and vocabulary for the characters - in other words, if they're English aristocrats from the nineteenth century, please don't have them sounding like contemporary Americans. Just a couple of examples from Writers Whose Work I Will Never Read Again:

• the heroine in a Regency novel travels - by coach - from London to Derbyshire and back in an afternoon. You'd be hard-pressed to do it NOW by CAR in an afternoon.
  • the hero in a Regency novel eats biscuits (ie the American sort) for breakfast.
  • the heroine, also in a Regency novel, is a single lady who lives alone; invites her neighbours, all of a lower social class to her, around for tea every day and they all first-name each other; and she even invites her butler (who's an aristocrat in disguise, but she doesn't know this) to use her first name and dine with her.
  • the hero is illegitimate - without a doubt born outside wedlock - and yet inherits the title on his father's death because there's no legitimate son.

I'm not saying that I approve of the social values here; I'm simply (ranting) pointing out that in the era concerned none of these things would have happened. And... well... Catherine Coulter and Judith McNaught are both on my 'never again' list for reasons (a) and (b) above. Well, plus that McNaught wrote a book in which rape and spousal abuse is clearly considered to be okay if the hero is rich enough and claims to love the heroine enough. razz

My own never-to-be-missed authors in the historical genre:
Mary Balogh
Jo Beverly
Mary Jo Putney (before she went all paranormal)
Joan Ross Ewing/Julia Ross
Loretta Chase
Carla Kelly
Edith Layton

I do like a limited amount of paranormal, in particular:
Maggie Shayne (vampire series only)
Sherrilyn Kenyon

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#214354 01/02/08 06:46 AM
C
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
C
McNaught wrote a book in which rape and spousal abuse is clearly considered to be okay if the hero is rich enough and claims to love the heroine enough.
Well... she does portray the heroes as a hard-bitten, rough, dominating, cynical people and the heroines totally in love to overlook these flaws and easily forgive their men.

But I really love the angst in her stories. She's good in characterizing the aristocrats of the past.

Most aristocrats in the past have been known to treat their women cruelly causing a huge scandal. Pity, the women had to suffer without opening their mouths and divorce was not a solution!

The differences between rape, sex, consensual sex, lovemaking and exercise-of-husbandly-rights have been brought to spotlight only recently. They were probably considered to be the same and done for the same reason in the yester-years - for begetting the heir!

CG
------------

#214355 01/02/08 07:10 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Romance novels aren't something I read a whole lot of, but I have a small number of authors/books that have been recommended to me over the years that sit on my book shelves among all the horror and thrillers and SF laugh and which I've read more than once.

My favourite ever has to be Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase.

Not only is it steamy and WAFFy, but it had me ROTFLing all the way through and I read it in one afternoon. I was literally crying with laughter at points. The banter between heroine and hero is hilarious and she drives the poor soul to utter distraction. It reminded me a lot of LNC.

I also loved Mary Jo Putney's Thunder and Roses.

I can see why Wendy (and I assume many others) would have issues with Judith McNaught, but I do have to say that her A Kingdom of Dreams and most especially Whitney, My Love are huge favourites of mine. I do understand the problem with her novels, but I, too, enjoy the whole angsty path her characters have to take to true love. Even though part of me does usually want to kick the hero somewhere delicate along the way. goofy

I've also got two novels by Elizabeth Chadwick in my collection - The Love Knot and The Marsh King's Daughter - which are set in medieval times and which I enjoyed very much.

Hey, this was fun. Maybe we need more threads like this for other genres. <g> Thrillers, anyone?

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#214356 01/02/08 07:13 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I think I've never heard of most of the authors you all mention except
  • Jude Deveraux (love "Sweat Liar") and
  • Sherrilyn Kenyon (just finished book 2).

Otherwise my taste in authors most probably is pretty boring:
  • Susan Elizabeth Philips
  • Nora Roberts / J. D. Robb (at the moment I'm reading book 3 of the Circle-Trilogy and a good Eve & Roarke book never can be wrong smile )
  • Maeve Haran

"Superman is what I can do. Clark is who I am."
#214357 01/02/08 07:34 AM
C
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
C
Thrillers, anyone?
Start one, Labby! smile

CG
------------

#214358 01/02/08 12:30 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Georgette Heyer is the only romance novelist I will read. *hearts*

“Is he dead, Lois?”

“No! But I was really mad and I wanted to kick him between the legs and pull his nose off and put out his eyes with a freshly sharpened pencil and disembowel him with a dull letter opener and strangle him with his own intestines but I stopped myself just in time!”
- Further Down The Road by Terry Leatherwood.
#214359 01/02/08 12:53 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
The ones that I love have already been mentioned:

• Jude Deveraux - totally love her Montgomery/Taggert series, but I'm not a fan of the Forever & Eternity trilogy. She writes anywhere from old Scotland and before (Jura) to modern times
  • Julia Quinn - My mom gave me a bunch of her books, and I devoured them
  • Julie Garwood - Same as above, though I don't enjoy them quite as much.

There's a few others that I've discovered through Harlequin's Love & Laughter series and Duets, but my bookshelf is currently behind my Christmas tree, and I can't get back there very well. I did notice Susan Mallory, who had a triplet series that I enjoyed.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#214360 01/02/08 01:05 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Georgette Heyer - forgot her, but I have every single one of her Regency novels. The first and best of the genre smile

And, in contemporaries, Susan Mallory is one of the few I'll make a point of buying; also Maureen Child and Kathryn Shay. I loved Shay's two firefighter series, and also enjoy her political romances very much.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#214361 01/02/08 05:42 PM
Z
Columnist
Columnist
Z
Wendy, I very much liked Susan Mallory's Hometown Heartbreakers. In fact, blush , that was my first romance type book and I actually got tricked into it. I didn't realize it was a Harlequin romance until after the storyline had cpatured my interest.

I much prefer Lois and Clark n-fic to romance novels. devil "Clark sigh." Lol. smile

Mona

#214362 01/02/08 06:02 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
That's the thing about Harlequin - or any line of 'genre' books, though. Most of them are what you'd expect: formulaic and not exactly memorable. But every so often an author will come along who just makes you want to devour every word and look for more when it's over. They're my keepers, and they're the reason I pick up Harlequins and similar books at my local second-hand bookshop every so often. Because every now and then I'll come across an author who does leave me awed.

That's where I encountered Kathryn Shay; although she writes full-length novels for Berkley now, she also writes for Harlequin. The depth of emotion and character development in her firefighter quartet had me so gripped that I actually ordered the one book I was missing. She's now a must-buy for me, one of the very few in contemporary romance I'll say that about.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#214363 01/02/08 06:18 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
I can't believe Johanna Lindsey hasn't been mentioned. Warrior's Woman is dear to my heart especially. There's also Jean Auel of the Earth's Children(Clan of the Cave Bear) series. I know that it's mostly a series of books about primative man, but the love scenes are wonderfully over the top. *That* lady has foreplay down to a tasty science. drool and call me shallow but I've got a thing for tall sexy primative men... thud

Jayne Cobb: Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something RIGHT!
#214364 01/03/08 02:37 AM
C
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
C
I forgot to mention Laura Lee Guhrke.

She has written quite a few nice historical novels, and unlike the others she concentrates not only on the peer realm but even common ( in other professions) heroes.

I liked her 'She's No Princess', 'And Then He Kissed Her' and 'Guilty Pleasures'. Not the best, but definitely not bad!

CG
------------

#214365 01/06/08 10:58 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
My favorite would have to be Jayne Ann Krentz. She writes contemporary-era stories (often set in Seattle). Under the psuedonym Amanda Quick, she writes Regencies which would no doubt drive Wendy insane laugh Under the pseudonym Jayne Castle, she writes futuristic/sci-fi themed novels.

Her heroines are all spunky and interested/expert in various quirky things. Her heros are all a bit dark but only in a sexy way, they're all smart, and they adore spunky and intelligent women. laugh One or both of them have large extended families who pose various problems. Her later books tend to have various paranormal elements.

As you can tell, her stories all tend to resemble each other. wink There's definitely a formula going on, but hey, I enjoy the formula, so they're a safe bet.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#214366 01/06/08 11:51 AM
Columnist
Columnist
I love Nora Robert's books. She has been a long time favorite of mine.

#214367 01/06/08 12:03 PM
Columnist
Columnist
I love all books by Lisa Kleypas, Kristin Hannah, Nicholas Sparks and Johanna Lindsey.

I've read one by Janet Tronstad. This book was full of romance too but you can only get her books in english in Germany.

#214368 01/06/08 12:35 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Pam: I too love Amanda Quick. The best thing about her historical novels are the crazy names she comes up with for her heroines. laugh

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
#214369 01/07/08 12:44 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The best thing about her historical novels are the crazy names she comes up with for her heroines.
...which is another reason why I hate her books, because I sit there going 'no way' goofy

And I can't read more than a couple of pages of Nora Roberts before being driven mad by her POV flipping, otherwise known as head-hopping. goofy

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#214370 01/15/08 07:03 AM
C
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
C
I just finished re-reading Julia Quinn's 'How to Marry a Marquis' but this time something made me laugh!

Guess what? The hero's named James and the heroine's Eliz(s)abeth! smile
lol

Waiting for FoLCs (especially two) to comment on that! laugh

CG
------------

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard