LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I just thought this was cute. laugh

Cat's daily routine baffles owner

A cat is baffling his owner by wandering off at night before expecting to be collected by car every morning at exactly the same time and place.

Sgt Podge, a Norwegian Forest Cat, disappears from his owner's home in Talbot Woods, Bournemouth, every night.

The next morning, the 12-year-old cat can always be found in exactly the same place, on a pavement about one and a half miles (2.4km) away.

His owner, Liz Bullard, takes her son to school before collecting Sgt Podge.

She said the routine began earlier this year, when Sgt Podge disappeared one day.

Ms Bullard rang the RSPCA and began telephoning her neighbours to see if anyone had seen him.

An elderly woman who lived about one and a half miles away called back to say she had found a cat matching Sgt Podge's description.

Ms Bullard collected him but within days he vanished again. She rang the elderly woman to find Sgt Podge was back outside her home.

She said a routine has now become established, where each morning she takes her son to school before driving to collect Sgt Podge from the pavement between 0800 and 0815 GMT.

It is thought Sgt Podge walks across Meyrick Park Golf Course every night to reach his destination.

Ms Bullard said: "If it's raining he may be in the bush but he comes running if I clap my hands."

All she has to do is open the car passenger door from the inside for Sgt Podge to jump in.

Ms Bullard also makes the trip at weekends and during school holidays - when her son is having a lie in.

She does not know why, after 12 years, Sgt Podge has begun the routine but explained that another woman who lived nearby used to feed him sardines, and that he may be on the look-out for more treats.

"As long as you know where they are you don't mind as a cat owner," Ms Bullard said.

"I know where to collect him - as long as he's not wandering the streets."

Back at home, Sgt Podge has breakfast before going to sleep by a warm radiator.
I'd say, 'what we do for our pets', but considering that we've had to carry Homer up and down the stairs for the past three days because we're in the middle of replacing the hall carpet and he got spooked by the bare stairs and refuses to go up or down them at all now (he was never very confident about stairs to begin with and this has apparently just confirmed his suspicions that they are not to be trusted), I can't really comment. goofy

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#213783 11/13/07 08:55 PM
Kerth
Kerth
It reminds me of that story I've heard of a dachshound. She used to go on a walk all by herself, and her route included a long walk through a park and a ride back by train. Obviously, she never got asked to show her ticket, though. laugh

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
#213784 11/14/07 05:13 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Very cute. Reminds me of something I read in my newspaper a few years ago - which doesn't guarantee that it's true, of course - about a cat who always wanted to bet let out of the house every evening, and his kind owners allowed him to go. He was always out all night and he always returned every morning. After several years, the owners found out that the cat spent every night with another family! He came to this other family each night, asked to be let in, and left again every morning! And the two families were completely unaware of each other. Moreover, LabRat, I think my newspaper said that this cat lived in Great Britain! laugh

Ann

#213785 11/15/07 08:36 PM
T
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
T
This might be Terry Pratchett's travelling cat? Perhaps he is actually waiting for transportation to another destination at that spot on the pavement but has to go "Curses! Foiled Again!" when his owner keeps showing up in the car to pick him up before his ride to the next spot shows up?

Cheers, The Little Tornado.

The Little Tornado is ....

Marisa Wikramanayake
Freelance Writer & Editor,
Board Member of SoEWA and Writing WA
http://www.marisa.com.au

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard