Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Nan Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
I don't know where I'm going to be at this time tomorrow. We have huge fires burning east of town and strong winds sweeping them our way. We're standing by for evacuation orders right now and praying that we won't get them. This happened four years ago when we were surrounded by fire, but this is worse. I'm scared to death that everything we own is going to go up in flames.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
You are in our prayers.

James and Elisabeth.

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I so hope that everything will turn out all right. Please keep us posted on what happens, if you can.

Ann

Z
Columnist
Columnist
Z
Take Care, Nan and keep safe. I was out in Burbank earlier today and a trace of fire was in the air. smirk You will be in my thoughts.

Mona

Top Banana
Top Banana
Take care. I understand completely being from the LA area. Right now I'm watching the fires over in Malibu from my house. frown We have had strong winds as well.

It just always makes it worse when you have those strong winds and there always seem to be one or two that start when that happen. I hope that everything goes well for you and that they keep it under control.

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
Kerth
Kerth
Nan - I hope you're alright! The Cedar Fire in 2003 nearly made it to my mom's house so I know how you must be feeling. I'll be keeping an eye on the news and hoping for weaker winds.

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Features Writer
Features Writer
Keeping you in my thoughts - stay safe!

Take care,
Vanda

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Nan, how terrible! Please stay safe, and that goes for all the other Californian FoLC in that area. This is very scary. I hope your houses will be spared.

I hope those brave firemen will soon be able to control the fires.

Ursie frown

Lois: Well, I like my quirks. I think they make me unique.
Clark: You certainly are unique.

Clark: You're high maintenance, you know that?
Lois: But I'm worth it!
Top Banana
Top Banana
Be safe. I'll be thinking about you and praying today.

Thanks to CapeFetish for the awesome icon. smile
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
The scroll on the news just said Ramona has been evacuated. You're in our prayers.
Carol

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I was glad to see Nan posted. We just got back from Ireland and had to drive up through Canyon Country right after lunch Sunday and could see the smoke from the Agua Dulce fire. The wind, dust and rocks blowiing was just amazing. I've lived here all my life and and have never seen Santa Ana winds this strong. Fortunately for us, we live up where the winds are coming from and are in no danger. I just saw on the news that all of Ramona where Nan lives was evacuated. I suspect she will not have internet access for some time. Our prayers and hopes are with you Nan. Keep safe Chris; one could pop up soon near you too.
From what I can tell, many fires were started by downed electric transformers, so that can happen anywhere. Continuing winds are predicted so strong that the air tankers can't work. We just have to hope the winds will abate.
If you saw the news on Malibu, the Ralphs market they show is right by the park we have the LAFF picnic at.
Everyone out there keep safe.
Hopes and prayers
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Features Writer
Features Writer
They're predicting that this fire is already going to be worse than the Cedar Fire in 2003. We were living in San Diego at the time and I remember the smoke and ash falling for days. It sounds like they're calling for evacuation in the area where I used to live - which was never on evacuation alert during the Cedar Fire. I'm almost as scared right now as if I were still living there, thinking of our friends in the area. I hope to god they can bring this under control soon.

Kathy

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
OMG. This is so scary. You and your family are in my prayers, Nan.

“Is he dead, Lois?”

“No! But I was really mad and I wanted to kick him between the legs and pull his nose off and put out his eyes with a freshly sharpened pencil and disembowel him with a dull letter opener and strangle him with his own intestines but I stopped myself just in time!”
- Further Down The Road by Terry Leatherwood.
Columnist
Columnist
My prayers and thoughts are with you, Nan. I'll also pray for everyone else who lives in the area. Be safe.

Silence is golden.
Duct tape is silver.

~Saw it on a T-Shirt.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Guys, if you haven't been paying attention it is really getting bad in the area. They have shut down all the schools and university's and a lot of the free ways are also being shut down.

At this point parts of the fire they are contemplating just letting it burn itself out and trying to focus more on the residential areas. They don't have a lot of man power and the governor has just ordered 800 National Guard into the area to try to help contain it.

Relief isn't going to be coming from the LA area either since all our firefighters are busy taking out the Malibu fire.

It is a bad situation so please keep praying to Nan and all the SD folcs because they are going to need it.

EDIT: TO give you an idea of the current situtation here:

Current Wildland Fires

CaliforniaFires: 11 Acres: 90,679 New fires: 11 Fires contained: 0

NEW Roca (Riverside County, California Department of Forestry): 269 acres at 20 percent contained. This fire is near Aguanga, east of Temecula.The Jojoba Hills Resort and Rancho California RV Park are threatened with the mandatory evacuation of 700 residences.

NEW Sedgewick (Los Padres National Forest): 710 acres at 50 percent contained. This fire is eight miles northeast of Los Olivos. Two hundred residents in the Woodstock area are under an evacuation warning, and 250 homes in the Brinkerhoff Road area are threatened.

NEW Ranch (Angeles National Forest): 29,000 acres at 10 percent contained. This fire is seven miles north of Castaic. Currently evacuations are in effect in the Hasley Canyon, Oak Springs, Val Verde and Piru area. State Highway 126, petroleum fields, a condor sanctuary and the Sespe Wilderness are threatened.

NEW Canyon (Los Angeles County): 2,400 acres at 10 percent contained. This fire is two miles north of Milibu. Mandatory evacuations were implemented in Monte Nido, Malibu Colony, Malibu Road, Sweetwater Canyon, Puerco Canyon, Carbon Canyon, Carbon Mesa, Rambla Pacifica, Big Rock and Topanga Canyon tactical zone 8. Several roads in the area are closed.

NEW Buckweed (Los Angeles County): 20,000 acres at zero percent contained. This fire is 14 miles west of Palmdale. Communities of Santa Clarita, Castaic, Leona Valley, Green Valley, Acton, Agua Dulce, Mint Canyon are threatened.

NEW Coronado Hills (San Diego County): 300 acres at zero percent contained. This fire is two miles south of San Marcos. The communities of Discovery Hills, Coronado Hills and San Elijo Hills are threatened.

NEW Witch (San Diego County): 10,000 acres at zero percent contained. This fire is one mile east of Ramona. The community of Ramona under evacuation. Hwy 78 is closed from Ramona to Santa Ysabel, Wildcat Canyon is closed, and Hwy 67 is closed from Poway Rd to Ramona.

NEW Harris (San Diego County): 20,000 acres at zero percent contained. This fire is two miles southeast of Potrero. Strong winds are hampering suppression efforts. Fire is burning around the Potrero CalFire station and structure protection is in place.

NEW Santiago (Orange County): 7,500 acres at 30 percent contained. This fire is 12 miles east of Santa Ana. Several communities along the Santa Ana Canyon corridor are threatened. Strong winds with gusts of up to 73 miles per hour were reported. Hwy 241 is closed from Santiago Canyon to Hwy 133.

NEW Grass Valley (San Bernardino National Forest): 100 acres at an unknown percent contained. This fire is north of Lake Arrowhead. Mandatory evacuations are in effect for the entire Deer Lodge Park area, and all streets north of Brentwood in the Trinity Area.

NEW McCoy (Cleveland National Forest): 400 acres at five percent contained. This fire is four miles southwest of Julian.

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
I hope it all goes all right for you and your family, Nan. We were in a bad situation with fires recently and I understand how horrible it is.

Take care,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I have been watching the news coverage of the fires.

My thoughts are with you, Nan.

Columnist
Columnist
The Santiago fire is about 5-6 miles from my house, so I've kinda been freaking out about this, but everyone says that's far enough for us not to worry about it. We can smell the smoke in the air though.

My roommate and I were up in Santiago Canyon taking pictures yesterday, and we left the area at about 5:15. Somebody told me today that the fire started sometime between 5 and 5:30. I don't know exactly how close it is to where we were, but the whole thing is just freaky.

To add insult to injury, the wind knocked the power out for an hour while I was at work today. Is it weird that my biggest concern is for the power not to go out during prime time tv tonight?

~Anna

Merriwether
Merriwether
My thoughts are with you all!

CNN.com
The fast-moving fires are threatening the San Diego Zoo's Wild Animal Park. The park was closed Monday and some of the animals, like endangered condors, are being moved to a safer location, according to zoo spokeswoman Yadira Galindo.
I do hope those creatures will stay stafe.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
Kerth
Kerth
Nan - I know Ramona has been evacuated...the images are frightening! I hope you're okay! My husband's uncle and family have been evacuated from Poway. My mom's in Mira Mesa...safe for now, but she went to stay with a friend in Point Loma just to be sure. All of Southern California is in my heart right now.

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard