Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
So it's a long way off, I'm talking years people, but I just want to hear everything I can about New Zealand before I go there. It is my dream vacation and the more ideas I have on what's fun to do, the better we can budget. So any suggestions? huh

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Ooh! Me! Me! *waves hand in the air* I'm from New Zealand!

In fact, I believe that I'm the only one on this board from there. smile

Umm...suggestions...suggestions... What do you like to do? What sort of places do you like to go? What time of year do you think you'll be here, because that can effect where you'd want to go, just 'cause of the weather. Although, Crowded House didn't sing the song 'Four Seasons In One Day' for nothing!

I would be happy to provide some suggestions, if you can please answer the above questions. laugh

~Anna.

Lois: Jimmy, give me back my dress.
Clark: Now there's something you don't hear around the newsroom everyday.
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Anna you are so lucky to live there!!!! Um, let's see. I think I'd like it better in the warm season, whenever that is. I really loved Lord of the Rings so I'd want to see a lot of their filming spots. Um, I love the ocean but am too scared of sharks to get in but other things could be fun if they have them like parasailing, sailing, etc. We love trying different foods and good restraunts. Hiking, water rafting, spas laugh , really just about anything. Helecopter rides over Mount Doom clap

-George Bernard Shaw
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Hey Stephnachia. Sorry about the wait on my reply - I've been really busy.

Um, there's plenty of great tours for Lord of the Rings locations - mostly leaving from Christchurch (where I live) or Matamata (near Hamilton, up north - it's where Hobbiton was built). They're easy enough to find out about.

You'll probably want to try the hot pools in Hanmer. Hanmer is about 2 hours or so from Christchurch and is really popular all year round. Obviously, it's more fun in winter when there's often snow on the ground - you can run from pool to pool between small snow drifts then sink into the lovely warm water again. *sigh*

Um, but if you're into water sports (which you can do pretty easily as well in NZ), summer would be a better time to come. If you like animals, I would recommend going to do a whale watching tour in Kaikoura (about 3 hours up the coast from Christchurch). They're supposed to be amazing. I need to get around to doing one, one of these days. My parents have been though, and it's great.

Um, another place just near to Christchurch is Akaroa. It was a French settlement originally, and still retains a lot of it's French history, cuisine etc. Very nice. Another place that I haven't been too in years and need to.

Of course, if you're into thrill-seeking, Queenstown (about 5-6 hours drive from Christchurch) is the place to go. That's where AJ Hackett invented bungy-jumping. So you can do that, or go on the gondala (not so thrill-seeking, but fun...), go luging down the hillside, go jet boating - an awesome experience where they just narrowly miss the rocks - but that's how it's supposed to be and they know exactly what they're doing.

Um...up north is the city of Wellington (our capital, though only the third biggest city after Auckland and Christchurch) where you can see some great cultural stuff, such as the museum of Te Papa (the national museum) and lots of shows etc. Peter Jackson lives in Wellington and that's where Weta Studios are!

Auckland is a nice city - my brother lives there and he loves it. I enjoy it for specified periods of time as there is lots to do. But I prefer to live in Christchurch. But anyway, Auckland has Kelly Tarlton's (a marine experience), Rainbow's End (a rather tame and small theme park compared to those in the USA), the Auckland Zoo and lots of shops. Auckland's definitely NZ's most multicultural city, with immigrants from all over the world settling there. Kind of, in a strange way, NZ's own NYC. wink

Um, as for Christchurch itself... As we're the closest main city to Antarctica and lots of the Antarctic research is done here through my old university - the University of Canterbury - we have a place called the Antarctic Centre. It has a snow room and all sorts of cool information and exhibits about living on the ice - the animals etc. You can even pay a little extra and go on a Hagglund ride. That's one of those big vehicles that they use on the ice.

We also have a gondala here in Christchurch and lots about our history in the museum. The Arts Centre is awesome, particularly on weekends when they have a market outside. But it has a few interesting shops and cafes the rest of the week anyway. Lyttleton is where the first four ships to Canterbury came back in 1800 and something (one of my ancestors was on one!) and that's just over the hill from Christchurch.

Primarily, I think that NZ has some of the most beautiful scenery in the world. One of my favourite places to go - particularly in summer - is Kaiteriteri, up near the top of the South Island. Beautiful golden sand, gorgeous rolling hills - just amazing. Up there is where the Abel Tasman tramp (a hike). It's about 3 days long, though you can do bits and pieces of it, 1 day at a time. Down south, in Fiordland, we have the Milford track (another tramp). That one is about 5 days long. Fiordland is beautiful and you can also do boat tours around the fiords. So lush and green down there - because of lots of rain.

Okay - scenery is just beautiful. I'm sorry, my brain is protesting at how much I've made it think for this! I know that there's more I could tell you, but I think that that's enough for now. smile Hope it helps!

~Anna.

Kerth
Kerth
Two years ago, my family spent 2 1/2 weeks driving around the north island. We had a blast! Zorbing, bungy jumping, sky diving...adventure sports galore! Plus, a wonderful spa experience (ahh...mud!) Even my 2 year old son loved the trip. (Yes, I brought a 2 year old on a 12+ hour plane ride. Yes, I'm slightly insane.) The country was beautiful, the people were incredibly nice...I only wish we had had time to go to the south island as well.

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Ahh, Groobie. You missed out on so much by not coming to the South Island (or the mainland, as we in NZ call it!). I was technically born in Hamilton, but only lived there for 3 months, so I've always thought of the SI as my home (although I lived in the Solomon Islands for 3 years in between Hamilton and Christchurch...).

Make another trip and come to the SI! laugh
It's absolutely worth it. I may be biased, but I don't think a trip to NZ could be a proper trip without going to both islands. smile

~Anna.

Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Anna!! You are awesome! razz Now at least I know what to budget for. <hugs> You're the best!! sloppy

-George Bernard Shaw

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard