Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
HatMan Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Just saw a post from Anna. Since she's got spotty net access, I thought I'd take the liberty of sharing the news here.

For those of you who haven't heard, there are wildfires raging across Greece .

Anna, as I said, is okay, and well away from the endangered areas.

At least 57 deaths have been confirmed, according to the AP. Homes and land have also been destroyed, and several key ancient sites are in the path of the oncoming flames.

Here's hoping the fires can be stopped or at least contained soon, before any more lives are lost.

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks for passing that along, Paul. We've been following events on the news and it's a dreadful situation they're facing. Here's hoping that the additional planes/help from neighbouring EU countries is enough to douse these fires.

It's even more appalling that it seems arson may be the cause. frown

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Thanks for passing the news on, Paul.

The situation is tragic. I spent the last few days in southern Peloponnese and saw some of the disaster with my own eyes - fires burning not so far from where we were, and whole hills turned to coal as we were returning to Athens today.

It's pretty much certain it's the work of arsonists - there have been firestarting mechanisms found in several places and some people have been detained. I can only wonder how it's possible for anyone to have so little consideration for both nature and the lives of other humans.

Hope this tragedy ends soon.

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Paul, thank you for posting this. Every day on the news you hear about more deaths being confirmed and more planes and helicopters being send out and you wonder when it will ever end. Like Anna said, can't imagine that there are people on this planet that would actually destroy so much beautiful nature and rip apart so many families.

Glad you're ok, AnnaBTG. (Though for some reason, I hadn't quite made the link between Anna B. The GREEK and Greece... I remember the first time I saw your screen name I read Anna B. The Geek -- not that you're a geek, I was just being dyslexic wink -- and now somehow every time I read Geek instead of Greek). Are all of your friends/family safe too?

I love the smell of fear in the newsroom.
Kerth
Kerth
Glad to hear you're okay, Anna, but what a horrible tragedy for your country! Southern California has had its share of fires - I know first hand how frightening they can be. When you find out that arsonists are involved, it just makes it all the more unbearable. I'll be thinking about all the firefighters who are working to end the destruction - everyone should thank the heroes who put themselves in danger for the safety of others.

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I, too, would like to thank Paul for posting this. The fires in Greece have been all over Swedish television, too.

This has been a year of extreme weather. In northern Europe, as in Great Britain and Scandinavia, there has been a copious amount of rain. In southern Europe, temperatures have repeatedly soared to such heights that if you body temperature reached that level, you would be dead. Anna, I hope and think that everyone you know personally is okay, since you didn't indicate otherwise. But the whole situation is so tragic.

Ann

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Geez, I just saw this. I've been away tripping with the family in a more rural part of the country, and missed out on all the world news. Very little can surprise me about the nature of human depravity any more, but it still boggles the mind. I hope they lock up those sickos for good. mad Glad your okay, Anna, and I hope and pray that all your extended family and loved ones stay safe as well. smile

“Is he dead, Lois?”

“No! But I was really mad and I wanted to kick him between the legs and pull his nose off and put out his eyes with a freshly sharpened pencil and disembowel him with a dull letter opener and strangle him with his own intestines but I stopped myself just in time!”
- Further Down The Road by Terry Leatherwood.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm glad you're okay, Anna. Although, I'm sad for the scars and damage done to your beautiful countryside. Please keep us informed.

-- DJ

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard