Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#212801 08/26/07 06:59 AM
lere Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
After the last spoilers about the future of Clark Kent on "Smallville" some fans of the character are joining forces to restore the hope. That show is destroying CK and creating a whole new generation of fans who will never be actually Superman fans.

There is a new forum where everyone can write their points and help create letters for DC Comics and CW to show our points. It's not a shipper forum or a place for Smallville fans only. It's for every Clark Kent's fan who is worried about the way AlMiles have completely shredded Clark's character.

I think it's the perfect job for us, LnC fans! Let's finally say our opinion about the bizarre universe of "Smallville"!

Here is the link:
http://opsaveck.proboards52.com/index.cgi

Can you read my mind?
#212802 08/26/07 10:29 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I registered smile

I love the smell of fear in the newsroom.
#212803 08/27/07 11:25 AM
lere Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Thanks for joinning, Selinde! I think we can represent LnC fans very well. thumbsup

Can you read my mind?
#212804 08/27/07 12:43 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
That show is destroying CK and creating a whole new generation of fans who will never be actually Superman fans.
They're just now realizing that? *shakes head sadly* I apologize to the fans of that show, but I've felt that way since episode one.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#212805 08/27/07 01:44 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Any show that has Clark pursuing Lana (and having sex with her) and meeting but ignoring Lois has already destroyed Clark Kent to me. frown (Or at least, you can bet your boots that I'm not going to touch that show with a barge-pole!)

Ann

#212806 08/27/07 02:24 PM
lere Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Exactly! That's why I think it's a good thing that fans of all universes are joinning. There is folks that only like comics. Others just like the movies. But I like Clark Kent and Smallville is destroying the character so I would like to say what I think.

DC Comics made such a fuss about LnC and now that other show is transforming Clark in a stupid character. It's time to ask why! confused

Can you read my mind?
#212807 08/27/07 04:01 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Could DC's attitude have anything to do with the fact that Smallville is a far more "teen-oriented" show than LnC ever was? After all, in Smallville Clark is a teen, and kids everywhere can supposedly identify with teenage angst and growth pain. If Smallville attracts the kids, DC is probably thinking, who the heck cares if it destroys the character of Clark Kent. As long as kids are interested in Clark Kent, they may want to read our comics, too. Unlike those female fans of LnC who hate comics. So bring in the kids! Let's destroy Clark Kent if that is what it takes to sell our comic books to kids! frown

Ann

#212808 08/27/07 05:23 PM
lere Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
My point is exactly that: the new fans will never reconize Clark Kent out of that bizarre universe. The teens will never buy a comic book about a man that is not the stupid whinning boy Smallville is creating! The campaing will sent a manifest to DC Comics too.

Can you read my mind?
#212809 08/28/07 05:32 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
So I've never actually watched Smallville and have it lined up in my Netflix Queue to watch. After reading this thread, now I'm not so sure I want to watch them. help Sorry if this is a little off topic... peep

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw
#212810 08/28/07 06:02 AM
lere Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Well, Steph... Let's say that if you're a huge Lois and Clark fan that you'll not like that after the first five chapters... Now it's almost season 7 and the crazy universe of Smallville is turning Clark Kent in nothing but a very disturbed young man.

Can you read my mind?
#212811 08/28/07 07:42 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I stopped watching Smallville sometime around season 2 but to that time I liked the show huh (I only stopped watching it because it seemed to be a running gag of the TV-Channel to repeat old episodes as often as possible so you loose interest and only when no one is watching any longer they start the new season :rolleyes: ). Anyway, I'd thought that during some season Lois Lane came to town and that Clark and Lois became friends (or more ...?)

"Superman is what I can do. Clark is who I am."
#212812 08/28/07 08:16 AM
lere Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Well Lois and Clark are like... hummm... there is no word to describe that relationship. The worst thing ever was Lois coming to Smallville and Clark always whinning about Lana this, and Lana that... Now the girl is married to Lex Luthor and he's still after her. Give me a break!

Where's the guy who will became Superman? The one who liked journalism? Who put his family in the first place and others above himself? The honest honorable hero?! That weak and confuse boy will never become Superman and we have a whole new generation worshiping that guy!

Can you read my mind?
#212813 08/28/07 09:50 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Speaking as a Smallville hater turned ardent Smallville fan, I found excuses for them right up until season six, but they really ARE going too far now. I keep the Lois and Clark and Smallville universes separate, so the Clark/Lana storyline doesn't bother me so much even though it does annoy me no end when it chips into the plot. But for what it's worth, I've never really liked Smallville's Lois, nor seen any chemistry between her and Clark in that show. If they're destined to be together later in life, that's great, but till then, keep the shipping AWAY from the main plots! Is that too much to ask?!

Hey, I liked Lana in the first two or three seasons. Everyone has a childhood sweetheart, and it only proved that Clark had good taste in women. But then she became Miles' own personal Lana Sue and culminated in the whole pathetic Lexana vs. Clana arc which is systematically destroying the characters and must be stopped! Actually, the show should have stopped at Season Five, which I loved. Season Six had a few redeeming episodes (such as Noir!), but the cheese factor was just waaay too high.

ANY show starts to smell after the sixth season anyway. Except X-files. They made it all the way into the seventh before it turned into a soap.

I advise those who haven't yet given Smallville a try to watch the first two seasons. I found them to be genuinely excelllent throughout. S3 was patchy and S4 had a couple of really good episodes, many cheesy ones and a ghastly season arc story. The cinematograpy and special effects are very good though. Season 5 was my happy place. laugh

Anyway, don't diss it til you try it. thumbsup

“Is he dead, Lois?”

“No! But I was really mad and I wanted to kick him between the legs and pull his nose off and put out his eyes with a freshly sharpened pencil and disembowel him with a dull letter opener and strangle him with his own intestines but I stopped myself just in time!”
- Further Down The Road by Terry Leatherwood.
#212814 08/29/07 02:58 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Thanks all! Maybe I'll just watch the first 2 seasons and try to keep the LnC & Smallville universes separate. Although I do have to agree that it is sad that a whole new generation of people won't really understand what it really means to be Superman, let alone Clark Kent. I mean you can only use hormones as an excuse for so long, after that it's your true character that shows... Thanks for all the info on Smallville! thumbsup

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw
#212815 08/29/07 03:44 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Smallville is long past the point where it could ever be reconciled to the movie and/or comics Superman universe, much less to LnC.

Clark is hopelessly hung up on Lana, although they like to tease us by having Lois attracted to him when she doesn't know it's him.

Everyone who will ever meet Superman has already met Clark without his glasses, and half of them know all about his powers.

Everyone else is smarter than Clark. Even Jimmy has way more experience than he has as a journalist.

Metropolis is within commuting distance of Smallville.

Although Jor-El is long since dead, he seems to control everyone's lives.

Although Lex is evil, he is a much more interesting and tragic figure than Clark.

Yes, we watch Smallville at my house. There are a lot of things about it that I don't like, but there were a lot of things about Superman Returns that I didn't like either, and I find it painful to go back and watch some parts of Superman I and II. I regard Smallville as a completely different reality than LnC, a reworking of a mythic story line, so the differences do not bother me, any more than I am bothered by the differences between the dwarves in The Lord of the Rings and those in Disney's Snow White. They may be called by the same names, but they are completely different universes.

#212816 08/30/07 03:03 PM
Kerth
Kerth
I still watch Smallville, but roll my eyes at the storylines. I also find myself tuning out most of the time. The only time I'm interested is when Michael Rosenbaum is on screen. Ah...sexy Lexy. wink

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
#212817 08/30/07 08:46 PM
B
Blogger
Blogger
B
I'm a huge fan of Smallville, I especially love the banter between lois and clark!! However, there is no question that they completely messed around with the mythology (just a bit!!!!!!).

For one, Clark met Lois about 10 years too early! Lois and Lana cannot co-exist in the same general area, it's just wrong.... Although i did like Lana and Lex getting together, it adds a bit of extra rivalry between Clark and Lex. I never knew what Clark saw in Lana. If he got with anyone, it should have been Chloe, she's got a hell of a lot more personality than Lana!!

In Australia, we're only partway through season 6 so i'm not sure where they take it after that, apparently in this season Lex reaches his peak of being evil. Does Lana become evil too or does she stay relatively normal???

#212818 08/30/07 10:43 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Hehe there are mostly Smallville fans over there and they posted pictures of shirtless Tom Welling, and I thought: "Hey! We need Dean Cain here!", so I posted a pic (shirtless, DUH! - sorry just watched the John Doe eps), and anyway, there were two people who gave me karma points for that (you can give other people karma if they post something very good/smart/interesting), goofy

I love the smell of fear in the newsroom.
#212819 08/31/07 01:42 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I've never been able to get into Smallville, so I can't claim any knowledge of characterisations or plotline. To be fair though, didn't they indicate fairly strongly, right from the start, even before the show had aired, that they were going to deviate drastically from the 'cliches' of the myth? By the sound of it, they've simply kept to that promise.

(One man's cliche is another's canon laugh )

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#212820 08/31/07 07:29 AM
lere Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
There is a limit for everything. Clark kent would never be a coward who persude married women around and just think about his petty jealousy . That's not deviate from the 'cliches', it's a crime against an icon. I can never look at Tom welling as i look at Dean Cain or the great Chris Reeve. But I wished the new fans could have just a glimpse of the real hero, not a messed up guy.

Clark/Superman is an exemple of goodness, honor and virtue. That version is just plain stupid! I can't agree with that and I'm out there to say much.

I think the campaing is bigger than Smallville, LnC or the animated series... It's about my favorite hero and the way some producers are transforming him and making him look stupid.

Can you read my mind?

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard