Next Thread
Print Thread
#212699 08/08/07 10:24 AM
Sue S. Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
NZ Couple Name Child "Superman"

And to think, my son freaked out when I told him that we almost named him Liam.

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Good grief, not another one! Where do they come from?

We had a thread on this subject a time back that led to some very interesting posts and links on some of the more bizarre names for kids. Worth a read. laugh

Weird baby names

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Top Banana
Top Banana
[Linked Image] What are these parents thinking? I really think there should be a law that people shouldn't be able to name their kid for a few days. I think some of them are still feeling the effects of drugs from the delivery.

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I have no sympathy for parents who stick their kids with such unusual names and even less sympathy for those who can't decide on a girl name or a boy name before the child is born...given that they have MONTHS to do a little research on the topic, why wait till after the birth,when they are stressed/tired/medicated?? :rolleyes: Sure it's fine to have alternatives picked out as well but still, it's not that hard to have something picked out so you can greet your child in the delivery room, is it??

Femme fatale with a hopelessly romantic heart!
Features Writer
Features Writer
Didn't Nicholas Cage name his kid Kal El? So silly. My formula was: Yell the child's name out the back door 10 times. If it still sounds okay after the 10th time, it's good thumbsup

That's why I have a Moonbunny and a Hlaoroo.

Jayne Cobb: Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something RIGHT!
Kerth
Kerth
My theory is: imagine the name engraved on the nameplate of a corporate office. If you think something like "Buffy Summers" would not look good on that nameplate 25 years in the future, then don't put it on your kid's birth certificate now. P.S. Latest strange celebrity name:

Actress Jenna Elfman and her husband Bodhi welcomed a baby boy–their first child togehter–on July 23rd. They named the baby Story Elias.

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Please delete.

“Is he dead, Lois?”

“No! But I was really mad and I wanted to kick him between the legs and pull his nose off and put out his eyes with a freshly sharpened pencil and disembowel him with a dull letter opener and strangle him with his own intestines but I stopped myself just in time!”
- Further Down The Road by Terry Leatherwood.
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
Off topic...

we almost named him Liam.
Uhh... Sue, you wouldn't happen to be Irish, would you? I'm looking for someone Irish.

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
Sue S. Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
I have Irish ancestry and I've been there. smile You are in luck, though, my office mate (and good buddy) is 100% Irish and moved to the US as an adult. If you have a question, I can definitely run it past him for you.

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
While I'm all against the weird names...

With our last two, we knew that they were a girl and boy respectively and could not for the life of us come up with a name for either one. We had a 'backup' for each and that's what we ended up with - I like DS's a lot better than DD's even still and she's 2! We had middle names picked out for both long before they were born. Believe me, even though we knew for months what we were having, it wasn't nearly as easy as it was for our first two [names I liked, DH didn't and vice versa and we couldn't agree on just about anything].

That said - we wouldn't have been one of the 'weird name' parents anyway b/c we wouldn't do that. We ended up with an Emily and a Christopher.

I do know a lady who named her baby Blue. Blue Berry to be exact. I think she regretted it later...
Carol

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I'm all for something exotic and/or uncommon... (my name for example).

But the stuff some people come up with is just plain strange...

Thanks to Cat for my rockin' avatar!
++++
(About Lois & Clark)
Perry: Son, you just hit the bulls eye. It's like we're supporting characters in some TV show and it's only about them.
Jimmy: Yeah! It's like all we do is advance their plots.
Perry: To tell you the truth, I'm sick of it.
Jimmy: Man, me too!
Columnist
Columnist
There is more to the story on the New Zealand baby who is now like 4 months old. His name is really 4Real. When they saw the sonogram they said this is 4Real (like in we are really having a baby) but like 4Real for a name. New Zealand law does not allow a number in a name so they plan to legally name him Superman and call him 4Real. He was in their lap with a printed t-shirt that said 4REAL on it. They don't like being told what to name the kid.

Personally I think kids that get weird names should be allowed to sue their parents for court costs when they are adult and what to change their names. I don't think any kid given a stupid name should feel they have to keep it.

The ones that get me are the actors/actresses that give their children weird names like Bruce Willis and Demi Moore did. Unfortunately it somes now to be the "cool" thing in Hollywood to saddle your name with a stupid weird name. Like GP who named her kid Apple - after a stupid piece of fruit. She should have her head examined.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Personally I think kids that get weird names should be allowed to sue their parents for court costs when they are adult and what to change their names.
That's interesting. Is it an expensive business to change your name in the US? Here in the UK, you don't even have to go to court. You just use the Deed Poll Process:

f you wish to legally change your name, or your children's names, you can use the Deed Poll process, which has been used by hundreds of thousands of people for over 150 years.

By Deed Poll, you can officially change any part or all of your name. For example, you can change your forenames, surname (or both), add names, remove names, change the spelling of your names or rearrange your existing forenames. You can change your name by Deed Poll as often as you want, at any time and for any reason provided it is not for deceptive or fraudulent purposes.
It's just a matter of filling in a form and then using the resultant copy of the Deed Poll to send to anyone who needs to know your name has changed and have the name changed on official documents. There's probably a small admin charge, I'd guess, but it's not hugely expensive. Oh hang on, found it. Between £35 and £40.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Apparently, it's similar here, more or less. Varies from state to state, but it's pretty much filling out the proper forms, getting them approved in court (to make sure you're not abusing the privilege), and then paying a small filing fee.

If you're interested, there's more detail here . The site (and a couple others I checked out) mentions that if you just start using a new name, it legally becomes yours. It's just that banks and credit card companies and such may be a little reluctant to accept it without the court proceedings.

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The site (and a couple others I checked out) mentions that if you just start using a new name, it legally becomes yours. It's just that banks and credit card companies and such may be a little reluctant to accept it without the court proceedings.
Yes, it's the same here. You can use whatever name you want in your day to day life and need do nothing else to make it legal. But if you want that name on official documents, like a driver's licence or passport, or bank accounts etc. you need a Deed Poll in most cases to persuade most companies to change it on their records.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
T
Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
T
I would like to point out that this trend of goofy names for kids isn't new. Frank Zappa named his son Dweezil and her daughter Moon Unit, and they're both adults now. Dweezil, as a musician and an actor, is still using his original name; I don't know about his sister.

In any case, they can't sue Dad for naming them after something dreamed up in a weed haze because Frank is no longer with us.

I always wondered how Mommy felt about those names, like how much input she might have had.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Wow ... reading these sometimes really weird names I think I can be glad to live in Germany, huh?! Here it is plain and simple forbidden to give a child a weird or in any other way unorthodox name. Some years ago a mother wanted her child to have the name Pumuckl after a comic-character from a children's-book, but the registry office just said "no!". I'm not quite sure which name the kid got in the end, but thankfully it was definitely another.

In Germany you can't even give your child a name that doesn't show the sex of the child (for example the names Kay, Toni, Eike, Dominique and many more are both male and female) - if you do so you have to give a second name that shows the definite sex of the child. And you're not allowed to give a name of the other sex.

Aaaaand as a 3rd you can't give your child a name that has a 2nd meaning in German - a german registry office for sure would never have allowed it to name a child "Gerücht" (= Rumour ...)

Unfortunately that also means that many really nice names aren't possible because they are not common yet in Germany frown

"Superman is what I can do. Clark is who I am."
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Yeah, Harry and Ginny Potter are cruel and unusual parents.
You know, you shouldn't have said that or at least put a spoiler warning because not everyone read the book already (it just came out for God's sake!). I'm far behind because I'm reading The Order of the Phoenix and I've been avoiding spoilers about the other books (I even avoided a whole thread about the last book here in the boards). Now I know that Harry and Ginny got married and had a kid frown Thanks for the spoiler in a total unrelated thread frown

Raquel (who thinks people should try to be careful when they post grumble )

"It's not the years that count, it's the moments, right now as they happen." (Clark Kent to Lois Lane - Brutal Youth - S4)
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Oh dear! That was me in my post-DH hyperness! I'm soo sorry!! frown

That's what comes from being too embrolied in fandom. You think that everyone must have read the books by now, and you can no longer remember what constitues a spoiler. frown

Can't believe you avoided all spoilers even up until OotP! I didn't think that was possible at this stage. Good job! Just make sure to avoid fandom like the plague. smile

Again, lots of apologies! blush

“Is he dead, Lois?”

“No! But I was really mad and I wanted to kick him between the legs and pull his nose off and put out his eyes with a freshly sharpened pencil and disembowel him with a dull letter opener and strangle him with his own intestines but I stopped myself just in time!”
- Further Down The Road by Terry Leatherwood.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard