Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
If you're seeing this post, then you're not one of those experiencing the problem! wink

But, just in case you're in contact with someone who is, we just wanted to let everyone know that we're aware that some people, when they try to access the boards, are getting a request to install Chinese language support and a series of unreadable characters. There seems to be an issue with DNS, and for some reason it's only affecting some people.

Annette's raised a fault report with our webhost and is waiting for a response... so tell anyone you know in this situation to sit tight and we'll get it sorted as soon as possible.

End of community service announcement smile

ETA: Update

Annette has been talking to our webhost and he is trying to work on the problem.

Webhost: there is something MAJOR messed up with DNS on the internet today. For example GTEI's DNS's are poisoned with chinese web site data...
Webhost: are you configured for a server assigned DNS or do you hard set it?
AMCiotola: I'm guessing assigned?
AMCiotola: it's weird because some people see the boards, others dont
AMCiotola: I can log on to the FTP fine but not the web
Webhost: thats what i mean...
Webhost: some dns's are poisoned
Webhost: its all messed up, but its not here...
AMCiotola: so we've got to wait this out ...
Webhost: i think so but... i'll check around to see if i can do anything

Will update as more information becomes available.

Wendy smile
Boards Admin Team

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Top Banana
Top Banana
Yeah I had the problem at work but at home I'm fine and dandy. ^_^

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer
S
I had problems. Seems to be ok now.

"I'm red-eyed, tired and drunk" Teri Hatcher
"Fun will now commence" 7of9
Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by SJH:
I had problems. Seems to be ok now.
Same here - things were OK after a couple of hours.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
I had problems just half an hour ago.

Ann

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I couldn't get through the whole day!! I thought the site had crashed again! Thanks be to goodness that wasn't the case, and we didn't lose anything!! hyper

Hasini.

“Is he dead, Lois?”

“No! But I was really mad and I wanted to kick him between the legs and pull his nose off and put out his eyes with a freshly sharpened pencil and disembowel him with a dull letter opener and strangle him with his own intestines but I stopped myself just in time!”
- Further Down The Road by Terry Leatherwood.
Columnist
Columnist
Yeah I had that problem yesterday evening, I was so glad when I could access the boards a couple of minuteds ago goofy
Hope the problem won't come back!!

"I have no regrets. If you regret things, then you're sort of stepping backwards.
I'm a believer in going forwards." ~Kate Winslet
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I couldn't get on either, yesterday. But apparently some people I have talked to today still can't get on.

Come on Lois you havent said a word since 1866!

Thanks for the avatar, Hana.
Columnist
Columnist
I couldn't get on all day yesterday, but today I'm good to go. I'm glad to have access again!

Silence is golden.
Duct tape is silver.

~Saw it on a T-Shirt.
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I've only just been able to get back myself after losing access late last night.

If anyone is talking to people who still can't get here, please assure them that we do know some people still can't get in. It's an ongoing problem, our webhost knows about it and there really is nothing we can do beyond waiting for it to clear up. Clearing cache is working for some people, but not everyone (it didn't for me).

For those who want the technical explanation, it's all to do with DNSs - our webhost says that some sites haved their DNSs 'poisoned' with Chinese data - it's not just these boards, and it's not just sites hosted by our provider, as far as we can tell. We don't know why, but they're gradually getting flushed out.

If people still can't get in, all we can advise is that they try to be patient - their access will come back soon as the problem resolves itself.

Wendy smile
Boards Admin Team

Just a fly-by! *waves*
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I hope this isn't a prelude to next year's Olympic games and the cyber-terrorism that many expect. It's almost as if the DNS's were deliberately slapped around to see how hard it would be to do it. I hope that's not the case, but if you've been following the online problems Estonia has had this spring, you'll know it's possible.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
A
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
A
I notice that the whois lookup showed the IP location for lcficmbs.com to be Beijing yesterday and Arizona today. Sure looks like something strange was going on. Glad it got worked out.

Amy

T
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
T
Yay I can get on!

For a moment there I thought my nfic sequel had disappeared along with the boards.

I had another copy of the nfic sequel's first part on my computer but my computer got hungry and ate it for a snack and I keep meaning to get it off the boards and keep forgetting to.

LadyMirth: Stop insinuating that I am a luddite. I am just absentminded..... and very very cute. :-P

Cheers,
The Little Tornado.

The Little Tornado is ....

Marisa Wikramanayake
Freelance Writer & Editor,
Board Member of SoEWA and Writing WA
http://www.marisa.com.au
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi

It looks like the DNS issue is back, after the boards where down yesterday. I'm writing via an anonymous proxy right now, and apparently one not getting his DNS information from the same database as my own ISP's DNS server.

Regards, Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard