Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Glad I could solve the mystery, then.

And yes, they are salty, as the name suggests. The dough itself isn't particularly anything. It's not salty or sweet. It's pretty dry. Just something thin and crunchy, really. But it's then sprinkled liberally with salt crystals. Kind of like a pretzel, but with less taste and substance.

They're usually served with soup. Alternatives would be oyster crackers or croutons, which serve the same purpose. You get something to mix or crumble into the soup, or to idly and mindlessly chew on when the soup is gone and you know it'll be a while before the main meal arrives.

Meantime... Just finally checked out the article on Jaffa Cakes. According to Wiki, they're named for Jaffa Oranges (which are, of course, named for the city of Jaffa in Israel). Interesting.

So, different pronunciation. Still... I can't help but hear the voice in my head...

"Huzzah! We have freed ourselves - and the whole galaxy! - from Goa'uld oppression! This calls for a celebration! Jaffa, cake!"

(Which, yeah... not so different from Terry's comment. But that's how it sounds in my head.)

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Hmmmmm. In Swedish, we call all kinds of crackers "kex". It doesn't matter whether they are sweet or salty. Cookies are either kex or "kakor" (one "kaka" - many "kakor".)

This, however, is a typical "kaka" to me:

[Linked Image]

I don't know if you can see it, but this "kaka" has no icing or filling of any sort. It is a relatively boring and very typical "kaka". Here is another "kaka", equally typical:

[Linked Image]

Boring. Blah.

This is a much nicer "kaka", with some delicious filling:

[Linked Image]

This is something even nicer, a "tårta"! I find it so hard to wrap my mind around the fact that English-speaking people would just call it a "cake"!

[Linked Image]

This is a traditional "jordgubbstårta". It has sponge bottoms and a filling of cream and strawberries, and then it's decorated with cream and strawberries, too.
[Linked Image]
We Swedes eat "jordgubbstårta" a lot at this time of year, around midsummer. And I would like it to have a more impressive English name than just a "cake"!

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hmm. The second picture looks suspiciously like a bread to me. Banana bread, for example, can seem somewhat cake-like:
[Linked Image]

But I guess it would depend on texture and such, since pound cake can also have a very similar appearance:

[Linked Image]

For the record, though, I believe your "tarta," though in the cake family, could actually be classified as a torte ( pictures ), a distinction Bobby Bigmouth would be sure to make. (Not to be confused with "tart," which is a sweet and sour fruit pastry resembling a dense pie.)

(Apologies to our friends on dial-up. Hadn't meant to make things so picture-intensive here all of a sudden...)

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Ooooh. Pretty cake pictures. /me suddenly feels hungry. drool

Saltines sound like they'd be much nicer with soup than bread. Although, I guess with my blood pressure I'm barred, even if I could buy them here. razz

LabRat smile (off to find lunch...)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Oh! A torte! That's it, Paul! I'll call our "jordgubbstårta" a strawberry torte from now on!

Ann

Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
There are low-sodium saltines too (completely unstalted)... though not as yummy. The ingredients are just white flour, shortening, yeast, and baking soda, but I could sit and eat an entire box of saltines as is, though I prefer the salted versions.

They taste really good with a little cream cheese spread on top too... actually, with all the differences in food and names... do you have cream cheese in the various locations listed in the thread, as we know it in the States? It's just like it sounds: a soft, spreadable, yummy cheese (usually used on bagels).

From Pheremone, My Lovely:

Clark: Lois! Please! Get a grip!
Lois: Believe me, I’d love to!
C_A Offline
Columnist
Columnist
And then, of course, there is the ultimate in chocolatey goodness. Behold! The fudge brownie:

[Linked Image]

Is it a cake? Is it a cookie? Whatever it is, it is gooooood. drool

Fanfic | MVs

Clark: "Lois? She's bossy. She's stuck up, she's rude... I can't stand her."
Lana: "The best ones always start that way."

"And you already know. Yeah, you already know how this will end." - DeVotchKa
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
There are low-sodium saltines too (completely unstalted)... though not as yummy.
The thing is, it occurred to me that bread also has salt in it. So it's entirely possible that if you did a comparison the saltines would have less salt than bread. Who knows? Sometimes, the results of a comparison are unexpected and the item you thought would have the most of...whatever...actually doesn't. Always pays to check. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Columnist
Columnist
ooh this all looks so good!! drool
I'm suddenly very in the mood for something sweet!! laugh

"I have no regrets. If you regret things, then you're sort of stepping backwards.
I'm a believer in going forwards." ~Kate Winslet
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard