Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#211680 05/07/07 03:11 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Okay so I saw Spiderman 3 on Friday night and just wanted to start a discussion about it. I have to say... I was pretty disappointed. grumble

I LOVED the first two Spideys and thought they were so well done. But this one... I don't know. It was pretty cheesy at times. I just didn't care about the characters as much in this one. As much as I love Topher, I didn't think it was very good casting. And I really think the venom character could have been left out all together. It also bugs me when not everything is explained. Like what the heck happened to Flint (the guy who turned into sandman). I mean what was that contraption that did that to him? What were they researching, etc? Also, where did Venom come from? Was it just an alien that happened to land on earth? Why go specifically after Spidey? In the comics, they explain that it came back from space on an astronaughts ship or something like that. The movie just left so many holes.
Also the whole Emo look that Spidey went through. I realize they were trying to show him as a different person but really. The walking down the street was sooo cheesy as was the dance at the jazz club. His hair was driving me NUTS! dizzy
On a positive note, I am glad that he and Harry made up eventually. And I thought the whole idea of the movie (revenge bad, forgiveness good) was nice but it was just soo cheeesy!

Any thoughts?

Another thing I didn't get. When Venom had taken over Spidey, he still had his Spiderman qualities, just a little darker. So how come when he took over Topher's character, he was still Spider like. It seems like he would just play off of the powers they already had or something like that. Topher was in no way Spiderman. Hmmm... Just food for thought.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw
#211681 05/07/07 06:47 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
I mean what was that contraption that did that to him? What were they researching, etc?
Knowing I wouldn't be able to see this movie right away (due to lack of funds) I purchased the book of the movie. I remember that machine as being some sort of particle/transportational device, but I'd need to check it out again. When I get home I'll type that section out for you.

I'm actually looking forward to this movie, knowing the stuff from the book, it's pretty cool to know what the characters are thinking when they do stuff and from what I've read, it's nonstop action which is about my favorite kind of movie.

Jayne Cobb: Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something RIGHT!
#211682 05/07/07 07:51 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
This movie was a HUGE let-down for me. I saw it yesterday afternoon and it but me in a bad mood for the rest of the day. I had been so excited about it, and then I saw it and was totally disapointed.

It was just so cheesey. I laughed all the way through it, but didn't feel like it was supposed to be funny. I couldn't help but wonder if they had bothered to screen it before subjecting the masses to it.

I also like Topher, but I thought he was just about the worst villian I have ever seen.

There were some good points to the movie. I liked the Pete and Harry making up, and I enjoyed some of the big fight scenes. I just thougth the rest of the movie could have been so much better.

- Lauren

There's a lot of things you need to get across this universe. Warp drive, wormhole refractors. You know the thing you need most of
all? You need a hand to hold.
~10th Doctor
#211683 05/07/07 08:09 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I remember that machine as being some sort of particle/transportational device, but I'd need to check it out again. When I get home I'll type that section out for you.
That would be awesome Shimauma. I also like reading books before seeing the movie so I know what they're thinking, etc. I think in the case of Spidey 3, it's a must cause I don't have any idea what the characters were thinking at times, let alone the director. thumbsup

-George Bernard Shaw
#211684 05/07/07 10:52 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
*Shrug* I had a feeling after I finished the movie that people wouldn't really like it. But... I have to say I really enjoyed it. I saw it with my friend and of course we laughed at him when he was acting crazy, but I do think that was kind of the point. It was a crazy mix of a lot of different things, but it really worked for me. I was a little upset they didn't really go into Flint Marko more. The group I went with had a big argument over whether he committed suicide or just went away. I liked the fact that he and Harry resolved things, though I can see people thinking that's really cliched and sappy. My only complaint is that poor MJ had to go about thinking Peter was just randomly turning abusive. I would have liked to see them talk things out.

But that's just my two cents. I don't have much to say besides the fact that I wanted to add in a vote for the "thumbs up" category. I'd write some more but I'm off to work!

Laura

Thanks to CapeFetish for the awesome icon. smile
#211685 05/07/07 02:43 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Anything you know from the book would be greatly appreciated
Okay the book says that Marko stumbled into a particle physics test site, but you might have seen that on the sign on the fence while watching the movie. Then, if they showed the scene with the scientists one says "intializing demolecularization" and then it says in the next page that the particle accelerator was shut down. That's all the details the book gives. I had an idea that it had to do with tearing things down to the molecular level, maybe for a transport device, but the book doesn't say that.

Sorry, I guess I was reading more into it than what it was for and there's nothing else in the book about that scientific experiment except the technicians covering their behinds. grumble

Jayne Cobb: Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something RIGHT!
#211686 05/07/07 04:47 PM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
His hair was driving me NUTS!
My husband called it the Hitler Haircut.

My only complaint is that poor MJ had to go about thinking Peter was just randomly turning abusive. I would have liked to see them talk things out.
That's the first thing I said when it ended, too. That disappointed me.

I enjoyed the movie, but I am not a huge Spidey so I'm not invested in it like I would be in a Superman flick. To me it was just fun.

I did like Gwen. I'm glad they made her a decent person (like how she apologized to MJ in the club).

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#211687 05/08/07 04:13 AM
Columnist
Columnist
U did see spiderman-3, and I thought it was a really good movie!

I went to a marathon, so I could really compare all three movies. And I must say that the special-affects are way better than the first 2. But still I think my favorite is the second one.
Eveything thing was just right in that movie, the humor, the action, the romance wink
I really love romantic parts (never to cheesy goofy )

But I think the third movie olso has some great romantic parts. I loved the scene in the web, where she asks him if he loves her, awww blush wink
As for action the third one was the best, I think!

And I liked how we got to see why the bad-guys did the things they did. Like Sandman why he killed Ben Parker. I absolutely loved the part where Peter says he forgives him. And I liked that Harry wasn't all bad at the end and that he helped Peter!!
I do think that they should have shown more of Venom!!

As for the hair, I was really glad when he got it backto normal :p But I definitely had some good laughts when he was bad Spidey!!
But I was a little frustrated by the end, because he was going to propose to her in the beginning, and then at the end he didn't do it ( I told you I needed my romance goofy ) I remember telling my friend that I loved the movie but I wasn't to happy whith ending, I would have made a different one! I did lilke the hug though, but it would have been nice if MJ would have know about the black stuff!

I read that the 4th movie will come out in two years, and if it's still whith the same actors I'm definitely gonna see it!!

"I have no regrets. If you regret things, then you're sort of stepping backwards.
I'm a believer in going forwards." ~Kate Winslet
#211688 05/08/07 05:55 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I read that the 4th movie will come out in two years, and if it's still whith the same actors I'm definitely gonna see it!!
I'm glad they're making a fourth cause I had heard this was it and was like huh

-George Bernard Shaw
#211689 05/08/07 06:00 AM
Columnist
Columnist
stephnachia, there is even a 5th and 6th movie been written! That's why I'm not sure it will still be whith the same actors!!
I hope so though!! wink

"I have no regrets. If you regret things, then you're sort of stepping backwards.
I'm a believer in going forwards." ~Kate Winslet
#211690 05/08/07 10:21 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
A 5th and 6th?? Well if they could get the cast on board, that'd be fantastic. They already have Doctor Conners (the Lizard in the comic books) introduced as Peter's teacher. I'm thinking they could do some pretty cool things with that. Whatever they choose, they have plenty of subject material! I did like that about the Spider-man universe, that there were so many outlandish villians. I LOVE Superman, don't get me wrong, but I sort of love the supervillians running around in ridiculous outfits. laugh
Laura

Thanks to CapeFetish for the awesome icon. smile
#211691 05/08/07 11:03 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I loved Spidey 3. thumbsup

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." Chris Reeve

"Whatever comes our way, whatever battle we have raging inside us, we always have a choice. It's the choices that make us who we are, and we can always choose to do what's right." Peter Parker

DON'T DOUBT THE ROUTH
#211692 05/09/07 03:43 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
A 5th and 6th?? Well if they could get the cast on board, that'd be fantastic.
Toby McGuire's contract, at least, has now expired for the series. But he did give the usual stock answer in a recent interview - no plans to do another, but if he was presented with a great script for one he'd be more than happy to jump on board. (I think probably a boatload of cash might also be persuasive. wink )

So, I guess that translates to 'watch this space'. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#211693 05/09/07 03:09 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I got back from the movie a few hours ago. I thought it was good, but yeah, definitely not as good as the second. I don't have anything that I didn't like about it, other than "I killed him. No I didn't."

As much as I love Topher, I didn't think it was very good casting. And I really think the venom character could have been left out all together. It also bugs me when not everything is explained. Like what the heck happened to Flint (the guy who turned into sandman). I mean what was that contraption that did that to him? What were they researching, etc? Also, where did Venom come from? Was it just an alien that happened to land on earth? Why go specifically after Spidey? In the comics, they explain that it came back from space on an astronaughts ship or something like that. The movie just left so many holes.
Well, the particle physics test has already been explained. Though I have no idea what they were doing, but hey, what do I know about particle physics? I think Flint just went away. Bye bye, off to the beach.

Venom.. now, I thought he added a good bit of conflict, but it was awfully rushed for the movie. Now, I have no idea why the Venom-goo was in the meteorite. But it went after Spidey because of proximity. The meteorite just happened to land near them in Central Park (I'm assuming that's where they were). It stuck onto the moped, and bided its time before it adhered to the suit. I wonder what would have happened if a homeless person had been near it instead...

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#211694 05/09/07 08:21 PM
D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
Apologising in advance - I have a feeling this is going to be long...

I saw the film last night and was so horribly disappointed that I can home and did physics homework to cheer me up. (Now that's desperate!)

I couldn't decide if this was Spiderman the Musical or Spiderman meets The Mask.

While emo!Spiderman annoyed me and the scene on the street/in the Jazz Club was just plain painful to sit through, that wasn't what really, really bothered me. (And that's saying a lot - the emo!haircut and threads were ridiculous!) I didn't even mind Topher Grace as Venom - yeah, he's skinny, but he's a good enough actor that I'm willing to put that aside. No, the things that really, really bothered me were the scattered plot and characterisation.

They tried to tell five stories at once and it just didn't work. It was... scattered. Each element felt rushed and underdeveloped. They'd have done better, I think, if they had focused on one or two of the story lines - like Venom and Harry or dark!Spidey and Flint - rather than trying to incorporate them all at once. It would have been excellent had they set up the Venom storyline to culminate in the next movie, rather than rush through it in this one. It might even have left a cliff-hanger worth coming back for.

As for the characterisation... well, this is the first adaptation I've seen where I really didn't like Spiderman. I know that Spiderman is supposed to be more of an average guy, and I've never had a problem with that in the past, but in this film... Gah. He's not somebody I want my 4 year old cousin to look up to and I'm debating even letting him see it.

I won't even touch on what they did to poor Harry. frown

Disappointed doesn't even sum it up. But... that said, I'll still be lining up with a hopeful heart to see Spiderman 4 when/if it comes out.

[/end whinge]

Dave

'I just kind of died for you;
You just kind of stared at me'
- Aurora, Foo Fighters
#211695 05/15/07 03:36 AM
Blogger
Blogger
I love All the spidey's
1 2 and maybe 3.... i haven't see him yet..
mad
I hope that i can see it soon..
but thats not going to happen whinging
i didn't see pirates of the caribian 2
THAT THEREBLE!!!! mad
thanks for read al this :s laugh

any place, any where, any time
#211696 05/21/07 06:41 AM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I loved 1 and 2, and I agree 3 is not as good. But it was still pretty watchable !
I didn't mind all the bad guys -- the thing that bugged me was that when he got evil, he didn't really get evil so much as grumpy. That just didn't work, and robbed the movie of the Peter Parker / Spiderman tension that worked so well in the other two.

but I thougth it was still pertty darn good ! Loved the fight scenes. Bottom line, do I wish I waited for Video ? No way.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard