#211567 04/27/07 12:47 PM
Q
Qex Offline OP
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
Q
I need some suggestions, please...

Managers at my store are getting on my case because I don't 'interact' with customers at the checkout, when I cashier.

What I am looking for is a question I can ask, to satisfy them.

I already have 'how are you', but I was hoping for a question more relevant, something 'need to know' to help me serve the customer better. I already need to ask if they'd like help packing, so it doesn't count.

On the shopfloor, when a customer asks for help finding a product, I have 'Which kind of *product* are you looking for'; again, a 'need to know' question, which helps me. Something concrete, and related to checking out, because it's hard for me to ask irrelevant questions - even nice ones, like 'how are you?'

#211568 04/27/07 01:17 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
One question that I get asked a lot is "Did you find everything okay?" or something along those lines.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#211569 04/27/07 02:52 PM
J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
Here is my usual shopping experience.

"Hi, how are you? Did you find everything you were looking for? Your total comes to $120. Would you like help out/parcel pick up? Sign here please. Thanks Mrs______, have a nice day or thank you for shopping at______"

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
#211570 04/27/07 05:17 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yeah it's all about the somewhat meaningless small-talk. I hate to call it meaningless because I do love to talk to people, but ultimately none of us are expecting to share our life stories amidst a conveyor belt and frozen food, or in my case these days, from behind a concession stand at a multi-purpose theatre.

-Hi, how are you today
-Thank you
-Have a nice day/night
-And smile your butt off all the time. <g>

I'll also feed off of whatever people are saying and doing. Every now and then I'd get a talkative person from my line, whether it's the weather or I don't know something they did that day... Just a sentence or two will seal the customer satisfaction quota. Best of luck! I know sometimes the shifts get long, and you can feel like just knocking your job out of the way for the day and not making best friends forever with the customers. <bg> Or at least I do.

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#211571 04/27/07 06:57 PM
Q
Qex Offline OP
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
Q
Thanks for all the help guys. I think I'll go with something along the lines of 'How'd you find everything today?'. Nice, concrete, related-type question, which should make it easier to remember.

cool

#211572 04/28/07 06:59 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
One that I hear from time to time (and which is occasionally actually helpful) is "Did you find everything you were looking for?"

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#211573 04/28/07 09:14 AM
Kerth
Kerth
I must admit that I feel that the "how are you today sir?" stuff feels pretty phony when you're one of an endless stream of customers going through a supermarket checkout and you're pretty sure you've never seen the checkout person before. I know that they really don't care much, they just want to get rid of me with the minimum of hassle and move on to the next person, which is fine by me. What really bugs me are the customers who take it seriously and spend ten minutes telling the checkout person about their aches and pains or showing them baby photos when I'm in a hurry.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#211574 04/28/07 02:30 PM
M
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
M
Qex,

You've gotten great feedback from Karen, jackiek, Jen, Paul, and Marcus.

The only other thing I've heard from clerks which might help is "Did you see the specials today? We have BOGOs on our green peas, would you like another bag? I'm happy to send someone to get it for you" (this is at the grocery store, assumes that I got a bag of green peas and missed the BOGO sign). I think the specials question would work provided that your place of employment has specials.

BTW, anyone who is complaining about you not interacting with them is not going to be happy unless, as Marcus notes, they can "spend ten minutes telling the checkout person about their aches and pains or showing them baby photos". Not much you can do about those types of people. They live to be unhappy.

Hope this helps!

mmouse

Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love - time is eternity --Henry van Dyke
#211575 04/29/07 10:11 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Well, I'd go for obvious things if the situation provides them. Like, if you see a pregnant woman, you could ask after the baby: What will it be? Is it your first?

Or if there is a mother with a young child, remark upon the child. (Oh, how cute she is!)

The weather always does make for good smalltalk, too - especially if it's acting up the way it does here and now. (Warmest, sunniest *and* driest April ever!)

Questions you should avoid at all cost:
Never ask an obviously old or sick person, How are you today?" - This is bound to end in disaster.

If you want to inquire after products the customer bought - well, cosmetic stuff and some others are fine - but you'd do well *not* to inquire after the choice of condoms or stuff. Unless you want to entertain everybody else on cost of the unlucky customer up front. Oh, and tampons don't do well, either. *g*

Hope this helped.

Mellie

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
#211576 04/30/07 10:55 AM
Q
Qex Offline OP
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
Q
Again, thanks for all the replies. grumble

#211577 05/01/07 02:02 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
See, if I was asked, "How did you find everything today?", the following would happen in my head:

1. Huh?
2. Does she mean 'how' as in 'what means did you use to find everything' or is she really asking me how satisfied I am with the shop?
3. I think she means option two but how the heck do I answer that? What am I rating? Is this a question of how easy it was to find the stuff I wanted? Or is it a question of whether or not I think the shop is clean enough? Or perhaps she wants to know if I think the staff are helpful.
4. I'm confused by this question and don't know how to respond.
5. I have no opinion on any these things, anyway. I just want to pay and get out.

Then I'd say, "Fine," and continue packing my shopping into my bags.

Do you see what trauma you'd cause me? laugh

Yvonne

#211578 05/01/07 04:49 AM
T
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
T
Managers at my store are getting on my case because I don't 'interact' with customers at the checkout, when I cashier.
I wish the managers would realize that customers don't always care for smalltalk (and that it often makes some of us feel awkward because we feel obliged to chit-chat back and are not chit-chat people), but that'll never happen.

Some good suggestions in this thread. And there's always the "Hope you found everything you needed?" with the question mark on the end so that they can chime in if they didn't (though that may just be Southern-speak, I'm not sure).

There's non-verbal interaction too, smiling, eye-contact (momentarily between every three or four items scanned), etc.

Sometime cashiers will comment on non-controversial type stuff regarding purchases - i.e. someone buying four large bags of candy on October 20th might get a "stocking up for Halloween?" - but I can see how that could be tricky, since you're talking about someone's purchases and some people might not like that. Or the buyer might smile and say "stocking for Halloween" when they put all that on the conveyor belt and then the cashier says "it's that time of year" or something like that.

I guess it comes down to whether the manager thinks you aren't helping the customer enough or the manager thinks a cheery, personable, chit-chatty attitude will make people come back to the store but thinks you're serving the customer fine.

#211579 05/01/07 04:57 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I definitely live in the wrong country. The last time I went into a shopping centre a vendor was staring at me, seemingly asking if I really was going to buy something there (which is impossible anyway, because you aren't going to find what you are looking for in the first place)

And they really ask "How are you today?" in a Supermarket? OMG! I'm startled if someone says "Hello" to me.

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
#211580 05/01/07 06:00 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Some good suggestions in this thread. And there's always the "Hope you found everything you needed?" with the question mark on the end so that they can chime in if they didn't (though that may just be Southern-speak, I'm not sure).
Nice idea, but it nevertheless got me thinking. Just out of interest, what should a member of supermarket staff do if the person said, "Nope. Couldn't find the cat food anywhere"?

Should they:

a) say, "Oh, dear, what a shame. Better luck next time," or
b) say, "Hold on a mo, I'll just rush off and find you some. Which brand would you like?"

If they go for 'a', they'd be considered rude and unhelpful by the person they're talking to. If they go for 'b' the rest of the queue will be annoyed because they'll be holding them up! Seems to me that this is a lose/lose situation!

Then again, I've been curious for a while about this thread.

Qex, why do your managers think you need to interact with the customers, anyway? Maybe this is a cultural thing / regional thing, but I thought supermarkets were moving towards speed and productivity rather than out and out friendliness. In other words, I thought that at least some of the chains were putting emphasis on getting people through the checkouts as quickly as possible.

As for which I prefer... I would probably say that I usually want speed and efficiency over chat. For me, as a customer, my preference would be for a brief 'Hello, how are you today?' without any real expectation of a reply... especially if I'm in a monstrously huge supermarket, doing a monster shop.

Having said that, I do end up exchanging a few friendly words in our small, local supermarket... but then everyone expects to talk to everyone here!

Chris

#211581 05/01/07 09:12 AM
T
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
T
Nice idea, but it nevertheless got me thinking. Just out of interest, what should a member of supermarket staff do if the person said, "Nope. Couldn't find the cat food anywhere"?

Should they:

a) say, "Oh, dear, what a shame. Better luck next time," or
b) say, "Hold on a mo, I'll just rush off and find you some. Which brand would you like?"
From my observations, they can either tell you which aisle it is on (so you or someone in your party can go get it) or use their microphone to call someone else up to the front so that that person can then go fetch what you need while the rest of your items are being scanned.

I have on occasion seen them leave the counter to go get the item (or check a price when an item inexplicably lacks a price or barcode), but when they do, they're quick because they know where it is.

Usually, though, I think a customer would ask one of the employees that patrols the aisles or stocks the shelves where to find something instead of waiting until they got to the counter.

#211582 05/01/07 10:07 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
It's not just that. Sometimes, they genuinely don't carry what I'm looking for. If that's the case, then the response is simple:

"I'm sorry. I'll make a note of that, and pass it along to the manager." And then you take out a pencil and notepad and jot down the name of the thing I was looking for.

This makes me happy because it shows that you're listening and taking my needs and requests seriously. Sometimes (and this has actually happened), it makes me even happier because management will actually decide to start stocking the thing, so that I can find it there on future trips.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#211583 05/01/07 11:56 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Qex, why do your managers think you need to interact with the customers, anyway? Maybe this is a cultural thing / regional thing, but I thought supermarkets were moving towards speed and productivity rather than out and out friendliness. In other words, I thought that at least some of the chains were putting emphasis on getting people through the checkouts as quickly as possible.
Chris, it's definitely regional/cultural: in North America shop assistants and cashiers are absolutely trained to interact with customers. Typical interaction at my local vegetable/bakery store (Italics, cashier; normal, customer):

"Hi, how are you today?"

"I'm good, thanks, how are you?"

I'm good, thanks. Did you find everything you were looking for today?"

"Yes, I did, thanks."

"That's good.

Perhaps some interaction on the weather (especially if it's snowing/ice-storm/really sunny) or the time of year, if there's a holiday weekend or something coming. Then the usual interaction over the bill, and then:

"Thank you very much! Have a good day."

"Thanks! You too."

The odd thing is - odd, because I wouldn't have imagined it before living here - the interaction appears totally genuine, not false or assumed.

People working at certain types of retail outlets - fast-food or concession stands - are trained to interact in a different way: they must tell customers all about daily specials, they must ask would you like a drink with that? or Is there anything else I can get you? - and since this interaction can double or even triple a sale it's considered very important. Personally, I just want my coffee and I don't want to be asked if I want a doughnut with that wink but it's what people are trained to do... razz

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#211584 05/01/07 02:12 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Actually, I'd say that's within certain parts of North America.

It varies quite a bit from region to region in the US. In the Northeast in general and the NYC area in particular, good service is marked by minimal interaction. Waiters, for example, are expected to be prompt, efficient, and silent.

In the Southeast, on the other hand, there's generally a more leisurely approach. A waiter or shopkeeper is expected to be "neighborly." To converse, establish a rapport, let things take place at a relaxed pace, etc.

This also varies depending on the type of place you're talking about. The more urban the area, the more packed together everyone is. The more packed together, the more privacy, personal space, and timeliness become issues. In that case, customer interaction becomes more and more limited (by the standards of the region).

Conversely, the more people are spread out, the more they look for a sense of community and interaction. Contact becomes more important, and so more interaction is expected.

Here in suburban NJ, things are more relaxed and open than in the big city, but still less so than I've found in many Southern cities.

In New York, everyone just wants the line to keep moving. Let people get done and get out as soon as possible so they can get on with their lives. You don't ask questions. You don't stop to talk. And, if you're the customer, you do everything humanly possible to make sure you have payment in hand before you get to the register.

In New Jersey, you can stop to smile at the checkout person and exchange a few superficial pleasantries. While they're busy scanning your items. Still, it's best not to hold the line up too much. Odds are, though, most people are just going to keep it quiet. Not always, but mostly.

Down in Florida, I know several cashiers by name and something of a rapport with one of the baggers (though I think he overheard and perhaps misunderstood a comment of mine a couple of years ago... he's been decidedly less warm and chatty of late). We usually ask after one of the people in the bakery department, and if she happens to be there, there's no escaping, even if we're in a hurry.

Driving up and down I95, I've encountered a whole spectrum, varying from town to town and state to state.

And that's just the East Coast of the US.

In short (a bit late for that, I know...): What's polite and expected vary quite a bit from place to place, inside North America or not. It depends on local history, climate, population density, and probably even more factors that I couldn't even begin to name.

#211585 05/01/07 02:56 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I used to work retail floor sales, and we were instructed to greet every customer. I decided to be a little different, so I found that "Howdy! What can I point you at today?" got most people to smile. Something unexpected but not rude, a bright smile, and a listening posture works wonders.

I can't tell you how many times (in the South and Southeast US) I've been called "dear" or "hon" or "honey" or "sweetheart" or "darlin'" (you have to leave off the final 'g') or something similar by waitresses. Guys usually say "pal" or "buddy" or "hey, man" or even "dude" or something else equally manly.

Failing anything else, you might ask your manager for a specific example of what you are expected to do and what you are not expected to do. It sounds to me like a "failure to communicate." Besides, if your boss really wants you to succeed, he or she will let you know exactly what's expected of you.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#211586 05/01/07 08:21 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I can't tell you how many times (in the South and Southeast US) I've been called "dear" or "hon" or "honey" or "sweetheart" or "darlin'" (you have to leave off the final 'g') or something similar by waitresses.
See, I think that's nice! However, that's the kind of thing that's increasingly being discouraged here. I've lived in various places in the UK, and been called, "Luv", "Duck", "Hen" and "Dear". However, there are companies (and I have a bus company particularly in mind) that are discouraging the use of these kinds of endearments in case they offend.

I, for one, miss them. They seem far more natural than: "Have a nice day!" (NOt that I've ever heard a bus driver say that, though...)

Chris

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard