Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
T
LabRat: I know it's funny ... but still....

*kermit face*

The Little Tornado.

The Little Tornado is ....

Marisa Wikramanayake
Freelance Writer & Editor,
Board Member of SoEWA and Writing WA
http://www.marisa.com.au
Columnist
Columnist
Mine is pretty self-explanatory, but hey, why not post anyway? I always like a chance to babble about myself. huh

I started out as Jessi Untalented. Jessi short for my name, Jessica. The nickname Jessi Untalented came up years ago (5 or 6, maybe), when I needed a name for a website I was making. I've used it for all sorts of things since then. It's my typical SN for most things. Even my fanfiction.net count is under jessi-the-untalented, which was a good reason to use it to post my fic here. But with that name I get a lot of "Change it!! You're not untalented!!" and I didn't exactly like the idea of becoming Jessi Talented. So, I needed something else.

I had changed my Myspace display name to Cape Fetish a few months ago just for the fun of it, to match my Superman themed page. Then my MSN display name became Cape Fetish to match that. So when I was tired of being nagged to change my name here (*cough*Lara*cough*) I figured that ought to work.

Plus, Supes' cape is sexy. wink

Jessi

"Lois Lane is Clark Kent's Superman." - Brian Miller
Merriwether
Merriwether
my nickname is just because my last name is similar to woody and someone gave me the nickname four years ago. It was the only one I allowed people to call me so it stuck.

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
Kerth
Kerth
How did I become Olympe? It's a long story.

It all began with me signing on for a German online game called 'Stadtvater' (city father). It's a game involving tactical stuff, and I wanted to use a name that sounded more male than female. My then favourite books were from the Harry Potter series - back in early 2003, there were only four books out. I decided to play an evil character on this game, so I chose a name from the book that could be taken as a hint: Marvolo. Yeah, the middle name of Lord Voldemort - at least in English (in German it's 'Vorlost'). Since it's a German game, I thought that not too many people would get the hint. *g*

Well, I liked this game and joined an alliance called 'Ars Magica'. Soon, a Mr. Stadtvaterland contest was held, and somehow I ended up participating. Not that I ever signed for it, mind you. I even got the second place. (Most people agreed that I would have won if one of the three gals from the jury hadn't made sure that her real-life boyfriend won. What could I say? I told everyone that the best *man* had won! lol )

Of course, this left me with a dilemma, for I intended to one day go meet other players. So, what is a girl to do? I left the character 'Marvolo' for my thence boyfriend and started anew. Once again, I chose a name from the same source, a name that, up to then, had been mentioned only once: Olympe, after the headmistress of Beauxbatons, Olympe Maxime. (I'm a sucker for French names...)

Anyway, I've been using Olympe ever since. If I can't get it (like on yahoo!), I use a combination of Olympe and my real name, Melanie: Melympe.

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Features Writer
Features Writer
Hmmm... Where does Catherine Bruce come from?

Well, I think my mom came up with the Catherine bit, although there had been a battle over the middle name and I was almost Catherine Elizabeth, until my daddy 'accidently' gave the nurse my name. The Bruce part originally came from Scotland I believe, and there's some dude named Robert that's rather quite known for it, as well.

I used to go by ladydragonflyz, which is why that's a part of my email address, but for some reason I decided to say 'screw it' and use my actual name. I WOULD use my first and middle name, but it makes me sound like a romance novelist =P

Mmm cheese.

I vid, therefor I am.

The hardest lesson is that love can be so fair to some, and so cruel to others. Even those who would be gods.

Anne Shirley: I'm glad you spell your name with a "K." Katherine with a "K" is so much more alluring than Catherine with a "C." A "C" always looks so smug.
Me: *cries*
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Oh my gosh! I haven't been on the boards in SOOOOO long (Jan 20, 2006), no one will probably remember me! :p

Been meaning to get back involved more since I got my laptop a couple months ago (my computer crashed, and can't log on at work, so I was on hiatus).

I wanted something to do with Superman, and have always loved Smallville. I joined Zoom's boards the summer of 2000 (I think) and chose Smallville Girl. Lo and behold a new show started up a few months later... and people started thinking I chose the name for "Smallville". I like the show, but am forever a FoLC.

It's great to read some new name explanations. Funny how you're commenting on post counts, seeing as how the first time we did this "nickname" topic was just after the boards here started, and it led me to doing that poll about how LabRat got so many posts in such a few days at the start up. :p

Anyways. Good to be on again. laugh

-Breanna Kay

P.S.
Although as Sara mentioned, everyone mispronounces it It's supposed to be pronounced Kayl and rhyme with hail and mail and pail. But apparently most people glance at it and see Kaylee, which to me sounds like a 12 year old girl (no offense, JackieK! It's just the weird mental picture that pops up!) or, possibly, the mechanic on Firefly. I hated that for a long time, because I don't think of myself as a 12 year old girl <g>, but I've decided there are worse characters to be associated with than Kaylee Frye. I do sometimes register for things as Kayl, though, to avoid that issue.
Interesting, I never read your name as Kaylee... though, I have to say, I LOVE the name. Incidently... Kaylee is actually the name we have picked out if I have a girl in September. I should find out the gender in three weeks! Here's hoping for pink!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, wow. It has been a long time, Breanna!

Welcome back!

And... Congratulations! party

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Thanks Paul!! smile1

... btw, speaking of "it's been a long time"... any news on what's going on with "House of Cards?" wink

-Breanna Kay

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
lol, that's been quite a long time, too.

I dunno. A couple of people wanted to edit their parts. And one or two sent me edited parts which I'm pretty sure I've lost in the intervening years.

We could just put it on the archive as-is, I guess. Or... I dunno. Since you're interested, wanna take over coordinating it? Huh? Huh? It'd be fun. Or something distinctly fun-like...

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Story behind my username. Hmm...well...

My real name is Anna (which is how I sign my posts, surprisingly!). So that's where the 'anna' part comes from. laugh

The 'princess' part is just 'cause lots of other little girls, I always wanted to be a princess (and have my prince charming turn up...but more about that another time!). I have a T-shirt too, which says 'I didn't ask to be a princess, but if the crown fits...' I like that T-shirt! dance

And...that's it!

~Anna.

Lois: Jimmy, give me back my dress.
Clark: Now there's something you don't hear around the newsroom everyday.
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
I've said that story before, but it's not long so I might just as well reitarate it.

I had first joined the boards as Anna_B., because I'm creative like that goofy (In case it's not painfully obvious, Anna is my real first name. My last name actually begins with M, in the Greek alphabet - it should look like "MP" but the sound is a B, so in English it's spelled with a B.) Then I learned that BanAnna is also an Anna B., which made me realize that Anna B. didn't exactly distinguish me from her. So I went for Anna_B._the_Greek for clarification purposes, and AnnaBtG(.) for short. (I like it with the period in the end, but then it feels like it's the end of a sentence. So, if it's in the middle of a sentence, I don't mind either way.)

The underscores left when I realized what a huge word they made it look like on the boards. goofy

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Features Writer
Features Writer
Hey, AnnaBtG, I've told you that for the longest time I didn't notice the R in your name, right?

blush

Mmm cheese.

I vid, therefor I am.

The hardest lesson is that love can be so fair to some, and so cruel to others. Even those who would be gods.

Anne Shirley: I'm glad you spell your name with a "K." Katherine with a "K" is so much more alluring than Catherine with a "C." A "C" always looks so smug.
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Heh, yes, you have, Cat. laugh I don't mind being considered a geek, though. I'm enough of that, too. laugh

And, Breanna, I missed that earlier - congratulations!!

See ya,
AnnaBtG. smile

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Merriwether
Merriwether
You could be Anna B. the Greek geek. Say that five times fast

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
To be completely honest my husband came up with my user name a few years ago--I just haven't used it much. It is a combination of the school I currently teach at and the school nickname for where I graduated from with my BA. I teach at a school called Mergenthaler ( Shortened form: Mervo) and I attended (now back for my MA) Park University (hence "Parkite"). Not to terribly exciting, but there it is. I suppose I have always identified myself with my schools--I tell my students I'm a certified Geek wink so I suppose it fits.

Johnny was a chemist,
Now Johnny is no more,
For what he thought was H two O
Was really H two S O four.
--Lab safety limrick--
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Paul... uhh... I don't know. I'll have to think about it wink

AnnaBtG. Thanks!!! I'm REALLY Excited!!!! dance

Top Banana
Top Banana
Okay, please don't judge me everyone, I really really love animals but my dad has a kind of sick twisted but amusing sense of humor. With that said, here it goes.
My real name is Stephanie. When I was in elementary/middle school my dad would come upstairs to wake me up for school (I know, I know; so spoiled). To keep from having to get up right away, I would ask my dad to scratch my back and tell me a story. So... here's the story. (Side Note: he always used a variation of Stephanie as the main character, it depended what country she was in on what her name was: Stephnachia was Russian)
Stephnachia, the little russian girl lived on a farm in Russia. They had a white snow dog that had puppies one Christmas. The momma and her puppies were staying in the barn and Christmas morning, Stephnachia got up early to go check on them. When she went to the barn, they weren't in there. She started back to the house and noticed blood in the snow in the path where she had walked. (okay, please know this is just a stupid story). She hadn't noticed the puppies when she was walking to the barn because they blended in with the snow and she had accidentally... *gulp* squished them... So... her family disowned her and kicked her out of Russia and she was given the nickname "Bloody Boots"
So that's the end of the story. But the next morning when he would tell me the story Stephnachia would be in a different country (because she was kicked out of Russia) and her name would be another variation of Stephanie. I.E. Stephania in Spain. But every where she went she always ended up accidentally stepping on and killing a little animal so the name Bloody Boots followed her everywhere she went. Very sad...
So I told this story to my friends in college and they all cracked up and thought it was hilarious. They all started calling me Stephnachia aka, Nacho for short.
There. I said it. Do you all think I'm a sick individual now?

I really love animals! I swear! thumbsup

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul.

-George Bernard Shaw
Features Writer
Features Writer
Oh, stephnachia, does it make ME a sick individual for cracking up at that story, as well? But awww, your dad and the stories, those are just so sweeeeet! ^_^

Mmm cheese.

I vid, therefor I am.

M
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
M
Oh, my gosh. Sue isn't really Sue?! My world is crashing... clap

I've really enjoyed the stories - thank you, one and all.

mmouse

Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love - time is eternity --Henry van Dyke
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Well....
in our final year of school I was "forced" to "choose" a Nick to have printed on the back of my school Jersey (aka Guernsey/Rugby jumper...)...

Having my name as HELENA... and the alternative to Beethoven at the time would not have sat well with the authorities of my Catholic school...

People without a nickname were considered really boring people, and this was discouraged by all, from the principal to all the littlies in Kindy (the school went right through from K-12)

As I have some rather curly hair, it was a choice between Einstein and Beethoven (an artificial choice made by my orchestra budds, because I did science and Music), and

Beethoven won because I did not want the rest of the school to think I was in any way up myself, and it sort of stuck with me as an online name

As for my SIG; Last year I completed my undergraduate Bachelor of Science with my major being neuroscience... the rest is a joke my little brother tells, and I think it is apt for this forum...

otherwise I sometimes sign emails as
Lenny Benny Canary

I started this in University, when a friend said that HELENA NEEDS A NICKNAME because I am fussy about not being called HELAINA, and like it to be pronounced HELEN + U!
(Short sound as in UP...)
Lenny=Helena, Benny=Beethoven, and Canary is the closest word in the dictionary to my surname.

As such all my family for generations have had Canary as a nick, but I did not want it on my jersey as my older brother had Canary on his,

On one of my online names I accidentally typed: Beethove"M" by accident, so it stuck... on that forum at least, because I don't know how to change it and cannot be bothered making a new user...

You can't have MANSLAUGHTER without LAUGHTER

The Neuroscientist: Eating glass makes you smart...do you want to see what you can learn?
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard