Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Tank (who finds it amusing that even though she knows my real name, Wendy refused to call me anything but Tank when we met a couple of years back)
This is true, though you're not the only one I've done that with wink I know LabRat's real name too, but I've even call her LabRat when we've spoken on the phone.

On the other hand, I use Kaethel's real name with her - but that might possibly be because I find Kaethel very hard to pronounce wink

I did think I'd told you why I couldn't quite bring myself to use your real first name, though - you share your name with my brother. goofy Oddly enough, all my life he's been the only person I've known with that name. So... let's say it's weird trying to think of anyone else by that name. goofy

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Kerth
Kerth
Growing up my dad had several nicknames for me, but the one that stuck (and he still calls me to this day) was "Sister Sue". I have no idea why - Sue is not my name or even my middle name. So when I started writing fanfic (in another fandom) years ago, I used a combination of Sue and my maiden name to write under. When I got here, I shortened it to "Sue".

I understand your amusement, Tank. I became really good friends with a couple of my former betas in that fandom and, to this day, one of them still calls me "Sue" whenever we meet up. I find that I actually feel like Sue *is* my name just as much as the one my parents gave me. So much so that last week, while waiting for my lunch in the snack bar, when the worker called out "Sue" I actually started to stand up before realizing that she wasn't calling me.

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Top Banana
Top Banana
jojo_da_crow: Okay, so over the years I have had a ton of nicknames. In college however I was a member of the Student Activities Council. We planned fun events and shows for the campus. I had a ton of friends in SAC and one day one of the guys decided that I needed a nickname. He figured that Jenn and JJ were just way to boring. My last name is Johnson so I guess at some point he decided on Jojo as the nick name. The next day, we were working on a homecoming project. The theme for homecoming was "Back to the Future" and so one of the projects we did was a "time delorium" made out cardboard, chicken wire, and tissue paper. It ended up looking awesome... but the night before it was supposed to be done we still needed to spray paint it. This ended up being a problem because it was raining outside. So being the bright college students we were... we dragged one of the big fans from the gym and spray painted inside a room. The room had a door that went to the outside and so we had the fan pointed outwards to draw the air out of the room... we probably should have faced it inwards to blow fresh air in... but it probably wouldn't have mattered anyway.

So, at this point we all get high off fumes. Everything became super funny and one of the guys in the group made a comment that sent me into a major fit of the giggles. I have only had giggles like this about 3-4 times in my life. I can't stop laughing and I laugh as hard as I can. I once did this in college to a boy in one of the labs I was in who was just an idiot. I started laughing at him and could't stop. I had to leave the room twice and it took me about 15 minutes to calm myself down... This is how bad the giggles are.

Anyway, so I start laughing and everyone in the room starts to laugh at me now. Because apparently my laugh sounds a lot like a crow going "Caaaw Caaaw" and so it was decided from that day forward that my nick name would be Jojo da Crow. I would even have people get my attention in the hallway by making crow sounds at me. LOL very fun. I still have a ton of people refer to me as Jojo in real life. ^_^

There is also more to my nick name than Jojo da Crow. The full nick name is Jojo da Crow Spandango Know Potato. But that is a story best left for another day. LOL

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
Features Writer
Features Writer
I dumped my old login due to close association to real life.

shimauma is just Japanese for striped horse and it's a cute little icon.

Jayne Cobb: Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something RIGHT!
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
When my husband started his blog a few years back, for privacy reasons he didn't want to use his real name, so he chose to call himself "Alonzo Mosley, FBI" from the movie Midnight Run. When he had occasion to refer to me in his blog, he called me Mrs. Mosley. I thought it was funny and when the need for a screen name arose, I stole it. smile

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh. Huh. I always thought it had something to do with the ancient city of Rhodes (capital city of the Greek island of Rhodes, best known for the giant statue at its harbor, one of the Seven Wonders Of The Ancient World, known as the Colossus of Rhodes.
Uh.... yeah.... that's what I really meant.

Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket...

:p

That's awesome, Paul! Thanks for sharing that. I learn the most interesting things on these boards. <g>

And sweet Sue... I know your real name, but you will always be Sue to me... can't be helped. <g>

-- DJ

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
I’d no idea of the kind of earth-shattering revelations I’d face when I started this thread. Sue isn’t really “Sue” or even a “Sue”! rotflol

“Is he dead, Lois?”

“No! But I was really mad and I wanted to kick him between the legs and pull his nose off and put out his eyes with a freshly sharpened pencil and disembowel him with a dull letter opener and strangle him with his own intestines but I stopped myself just in time!”
- Further Down The Road by Terry Leatherwood.
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
About the member statuses. Only I could have made a simple post asking an explanation about a technical detail and get a community-wide plug marathon as a result. My life is so weird. But I like it! blush

Lara – oh yeah! I remember I read it for Kerth voting! Wonderful story! thumbsup

Mrs.Mosley (or whoever you are! I assume the Elisabeth part is still real, right?) I LOVE your sig and the book it comes from. The Code Of The Woosters, right? My first Jeeves book and the first time I laughed so hard for so long I actually got scared I wouldn’t be able to stop.
Eulalie and the eighteenth-century cow-creamer!

rotflol

“Is he dead, Lois?”

“No! But I was really mad and I wanted to kick him between the legs and pull his nose off and put out his eyes with a freshly sharpened pencil and disembowel him with a dull letter opener and strangle him with his own intestines but I stopped myself just in time!”
- Further Down The Road by Terry Leatherwood.
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm one of those boring usernames. I think I mentioned it when I introduced myself, but BJ are my initials. Now if you were to ask about my email address, that'd be a horse of a different color.

Brit is a childhood nick. No idea where it came from and although my maternal grandfather immigrated from England, the friend that dubbed me didn't know that. Second half of the email address is an abbreviated form of my maiden name.

I know, it's more than you wanted to know, but I just couldn't just reply with my initials, not after learning all about Jojo da Crow Spandango Know Potato ...
laugh
BJ

Features Writer
Features Writer
I guess I can answer this (I also want to increase my post count laugh ).

My "nick" has no mystery, I guess. It's just the first letters of my first and middle names. smile I guess it's actually a very common nickname for people who have the same first and middle names as me. In real life nobody ever uses that nickname (they just use either my first or my middle name), but I haven't seen anybody use anything close to it so far in the boards, and we already have a Maria on the boards. wink

My original user name is actually a mixture of my last initial and my middle name, which I got way back in 1995 during a summer internship in high school.

Off topic, the Internet had barely started back then, and I actually used gopher in UNIX to read some news from my home country, Brazil (has anybody around here ever used that? - in college, during a Computer Network lecture, the professor asked how many students have ever used it, and I was the only one blush ). I also used "talk" to write to my father while he was at work.

malu wave

RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I can't remember if I wrote something in that earlier thread, but I'm too lazy to check. wink

Mine's easy. RL is my initials. I originally started on these boards as "me", a very simple name that's completely ambiguous. I noticed people used RL a lot to refer to real life, so after a few weeks I changed it for grins, and it's become somewhat of a running joke with people blaming me for everything. wink It stuck, but it took me forever to get people to stop referring to me by my real name for obvious reasons. I think it's still somewhere on Annesplace under Reader's Choice.

On IRC, I started out using RL, but some guy in Norway seemed to be on IRC 24 hours a day, stealing that nick. So Missy Gallant suggested an alternative, R-El. So here I am on chat as R of the House of El. Kal is a distant cousin. wink Of course, some people keep thinking that I'm Elena because she goes by El.

On other places on the Internet, I usually go by Pleiades. It doesn't actually refer to the constellation but my old college days when I played a role playing game by the name of I.C.E (Iron Crown Enterprises), aka Rolemaster, a game in the same genre as Dungeons and Dragons but infinitely superior. My favorite character was a thief halfling (naturally) named Pleiades, whose claim to fame was that he was an excellent chef. I had a great time playing up that character, spending much of my time looking for cooking ingredients or trying strange recipes, sometimes to the detriment of whatever quest we were on at the time.

Boy, at this rate, I'll never get my Pulitzer back. laugh

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
C_A Offline
Columnist
Columnist
Well. C_A is short for Coffee_Addict, which... I am.

Fanfic | MVs

Clark: "Lois? She's bossy. She's stuck up, she's rude... I can't stand her."
Lana: "The best ones always start that way."

"And you already know. Yeah, you already know how this will end." - DeVotchKa
Kerth
Kerth
Actually Marcus Rowland is really short for M'ar'ssplodyknikfudh'cus Ro'dedewok'wla'fufgug'nd, but nobody could pronounce that. I am an intelligent shade of purple from the planet Zog with very good photoshopping skills, which explains the icon.

And of course all of this is entirely true, us Zoggians never lie...

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
My nick is one that I've had since I was very young. Apparently there used to be a character called Sammy Sparrow on one of the local radio shows. I never heard it, I guess it was before I was born or something, and I don't know which channel hosted it. My dad and my uncles would say "Sammy Sparrow" in a sing-song voice every time I entered the room.

Sam

I was home eating chocolate—cottage cheese.
Chocolate flavoured cottage cheese. It's a new flav—
I was doing my laundry.

—Lois Lane
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Mine actually doesn't have a really interesting story behind it; my Elvish name (according to one of those nickname generators) is Selindë Cyriatan (or was it Ciryatan?). But, well, obviously, even I cannot really remember that correctly, so it became just Selindë. But then came the problems with the ë, because most forums, chatboxes, forms, etc don't support those characters. So, then it became just plain old Selinde.

Funny though, because some time ago there was this girl who thought my name was Selina for about two or three weeks... and I had never even told her about my nickname goofy and she still accidentally calls me Selina wink

I love the smell of fear in the newsroom.
C
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
C
What an interesting thread!

My name is not Caroline or anything like it. "Caroline" is nothing more than a nod to my home state of South Carolina. When I came here, I had reasons for not wanting to use my "regular" pen name (Kalina) so I chose another one that was close enough to feel a little bit familiar. I'm mostly over that now and kind of wish I'd just stuck with Kalina - but don't worry, I'm not going to ask everyone to start calling me something different smile .

Sue said:

I find that I actually feel like Sue *is* my name just as much as the one my parents gave me.
That's how I feel about "Kalina". That name has become as much a part of who I am - the fan fiction-writing part of me - as my real name. It seems strange, but when I write or when I talk about fan fiction - even here, where everyone knows me as Caroline - I still feel like Kalina. And yes, I know that's weird laugh !

Caroline

M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Mrs.Mosley (or whoever you are! I assume the Elisabeth part is still real, right?)
Yes, my name really is Elisabeth, complete with the S. I promise. laugh

I LOVE your sig and the book it comes from. The Code Of The Woosters, right? My first Jeeves book and the first time I laughed so hard for so long I actually got scared I wouldn’t be able to stop.
Eulalie and the eighteenth-century cow-creamer!
I love Wodehouse in general and Bertie and Jeeves in particular, but I've read so many of them that I can't recall which book this story is in. blush I actually nicked this particular quote from the TV series, but I think it's very similar to the one in the book.

Lisa - who is also feeling rather stunned that Sue is not Sue. I knew Caroline wasn't Caroline, but... Sue?! *lower lip tembles*

*reaches for security blanket, needing something stable in light of this news*

lisa in the sky with diamonds
T
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
T
Tzigone - fictional character in novels by Elaine Cunningham. Before that I often used Arilyn or Liriel, who are other fictional characters in Elaine Cunningham novels. I like other fictional characters, too, it's just that all the more popular ones tended to be taken on the bigger sites, and I like to have the same username everywhere so I don't forget it. And I'm not creative enough to make something up.

T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Actually, Lady Mirth, I have been a Tank for decades.

As I said, I got the nickname in college, and unfortunately college, was DECADES ago.

Tank (who is pretty sure most people have figured out his real name over the years)

Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Actually, Nan Smith is my real name -- well, it's short for Nancy Smith, as I'm sure isn't a surprise to anyone, but people have called me Nan, Nance and Nancy. I picked Nan because it was short and to the point. I figure there are enough of us out there that people would have a pretty hard time identifying me in person unless I wanted them to.

I use hachiban for my email address because everything more common was already taken and I don't care for adding numbers after my name. Hachiban means number eight in Japanese. We had a cat that had seven kittens and about the same time we adopted a little stray that she took in and fed with her own babies. Since my imagination boggled at naming eight kittens (and remembering which was which) my husband and I counted from one to eight in Japanese to name them all, which was where the name originally came from. When I needed a name for my email, no one else had it, so I took it and I've been hachiban ever since.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard