Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
oh this looks fun! ok here are some of me:

My cool rocker pose:

[img]http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...927&albumID=0&imageID=1272340768[/img]

then plain old me!

[img]http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...927&albumID=0&imageID=1397643326[/img]

Misha: I'm not a crackpot!

Martha: No dear, trust me, you are.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I can't see Anne's and lisime's pics. I believe it's a problem with Myspace. It asks for login and password. frown

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
This is a really fun topic! I know a lot of you already saw pictures of me and Adam at some point but it's always nice to share new pictures (especially when someone like me just lost 35 pounds laugh ) So here it is a picture we took during a New Year's dinner cruise in San Diego:

[Linked Image]

Hopefully my husband won't kill me for sharing this picture laugh But then again he is a FoLC too so he shouldn't mind wink

And just a picture of me (I love this picture blush ):

[Linked Image]

Raquel (who already met some FoLCs in person and she can't wait to meet even more smile )

"It's not the years that count, it's the moments, right now as they happen." (Clark Kent to Lois Lane - Brutal Youth - S4)
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Anna said:

I guess we just like our online friends enough to want to travel to go see them.
I think, if I had a different job/life, it would loads of fun. But, despite all the traveling I've had to do, I never seem to be able to make it happen. Give me another few years, I guess.

But seeing the pictures makes me laugh. I don't think it spoils the mystery much, because for some reason I just don't think about what people look like...

When I think of Labrat, though, I always think of a small rat typing industriously on a computer. Sort of like in Pinky and the Brain. Don't ask me why. I'd definitely be disappointed if I found out she wasn't a highly educated experimental lab rodent so don't burst my bubble.

**~~**

Swoosh --->
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
grr not sure why it's not working

Misha: I'm not a crackpot!

Martha: No dear, trust me, you are.
K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
K
Capes said:
I think, if I had a different job/life, it would loads of fun. But, despite all the traveling I've had to do, I never seem to be able to make it happen. Give me another few years, I guess.
Yeah, give it time smile I used to think the only way I'd meet people was if I went to NEFF or SEFF or LAFF, but you don't need such an organized event. The first FoLCs I met (Annette, Tasha, and Anita H) just happened to be having a weekend get-together for a weekend right in the city where I lived. I'd been told Anita lived in the Boston area, so the next time she signed on IRC I said, "Hey, I live here too!" And she said, "Hey, we're having a get together this weekend, why don't you come?"

The three of them had met a whole bunch of other FoLCs before, so they could tell me a bit about lots of people and show me pictures from LAFF/NEFF (SEFF didn't exist back then, I don't think). And I remember thinking I'd been inducted into this vast network of people who knew each other, cared about each other, like a secret society or something. It was very cool wink

The next time I met up with a large number of FoLCs, I had to do a bit more traveling. They were all meeting in Boston, where I live 9 months of the year, but it was summer and I wasn't there! I wasn't about to let that stop me, so I got a plane ticket and came up for the weekend and met a whopping 8 people! (7 new people plus Annette, who I'd met before) wink

After that traveling to meet FoLCs was a less foreign idea, so I've done it a bunch of times. I've gone on summer trips three of the last four summers smile . But I continue to meet FoLCs who live in the cities (or states, at least) I do. You don't always have to go a long way to meet cool people smile .

Kaylle
(who can think of 21 FoLCs she's met in person, but suspects that certain others have met at least twice as many!)

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Lisime, you can upload your pic to ImageShack . It should work. wink

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'd definitely be disappointed if I found out she wasn't a highly educated experimental lab rodent so don't burst my bubble.
I'm amazed - amazed, I tells ya - that anyone would ever think I was anything else! /me looks pointedly at DJ. What do you mean, you want a 'real' photo? Tsk! After all the trouble I went to to take that one, too. Do you know how difficult it is to manoeuvre a camera in a cage this size? Huh? Not to mention how many attempts it took to balance on that slippery shell without sliding back off....

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
[Linked Image] Oh, Labby, what was I ever thinking!

<DJ smacks herself for doubting...>

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
Merriwether
Merriwether
So where do you keep your computer? And do you have a mouse of your own? By the way, which picture? I thought the other one was of Uncle Charlie.

EDIT:Found the picture. Also, which scientist do you work with?

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
So where do you keep your computer?
Bernie designed a pocket-sized pc for me to use. Course, I don't have pockets, but the thought was there. And it tucks nicely into the corner of my cage, behind my exercise wheel. Where it's easy to just scuff some straw over it to hide it if anyone but Bernie comes into the lab. (If anyone gets ideas about poking around in the straw, I just bite their fingers. laugh )

And do you have a mouse of your own?
Well, I wouldn't call him mine, but the mouse in the cage three down is a good friend. His name is Arthur and he...oh, hang on...you mean for the pc? Yeah, I got one of those.

By the way, which picture?
The one I posted on...page two...of this thread.

I thought the other one was of Uncle Charlie.
No, the one of Uncle Charlie was posted in another thread...which one completely escapes me and I can't even remember why now. laugh

ETA: Why, Bernie, of course. wink (Actually, I started out in FoLCdom as Doc. Klein's LabRat, but over the years - well, actually more or less right away goofy - it got shortened.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
Merriwether
Merriwether
"Why Bernie, of course"

You mean you've actually seen Superman? Cool!

Uncle Charlie was on one of the Motivational Posters.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
<snort*laugh*sputter>

I really need to quit checking this at work...

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
You mean you've actually seen Superman? Cool!
Not only seen him - I believe he called me cute once, when he and Lois were discussing Very Serious And Important Matters with Bernie. And stroked behind my ears. (I tried not to preen too much. Didn't want to make Lois jealous, you know.)

And, ah yes, the poster thread. Thanks!

LabRat (who thinks this thread got sidetracked laugh )

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Okay, okay, okay...

[img]http://images8.fotki.com/v124/photos/1/11220/1466057/DSCF1522-vi.jpg?1099077405[/img]

Me and my husband. Guess which is which! goofy

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Merriwether
Merriwether
You're on the left, right? (Play on words intended.)

Top Banana
Top Banana
Okay, I'm jumping the bandwagon. wink It's really interesting to see everyone!

Here's a picture of my on the Toronto skyline:

[Linked Image]

See Sara's picture as well. I might add that this is not a coicidence. wink

And here's a picture from graduation last year. Ignore the "proof portait" thing - I've gotten actual copies of this since, but I'm way too lazy to go scan them, especially since this one is already uploaded. <g>

[Linked Image]

Julie smile

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Wendy--Thank you for showing me the way. I now realise why I hate photographs of myself so much: I'm missing the essential hood accessory. Well, duh!

**~~**

Swoosh --->
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, for the heck of it, I counted up last night. Unless I'm forgetting someone, I've met 34 FoLCs over the last seven years. One of them was even male. Some of them, I've seen more than once. There are a few more (four, I think) I've spoken with over the phone, too. Oh, and one whom I didn't get to actually meet or even speak to, but for whom I left a little package at a hotel. So, if you want to count them, that's 39.

It started with the penultimate NEFF, which happened to be in Boston when I was going to school there. I'd been involved in the fandom for a few years, but that was my first opportunity to actually meet people. Over my parents' objections, I grabbed it. So, somewhere out there, there's a video of me as Clark in the beginnings of a shoestring budget reshoot of GGGoH (that time, Jonathan really *was* a cross-dresser!), an audio recording of me making an idiot of myself talking to Tim Minear on the phone, and pictures of the one and only time (well, twice if you count my putting the ensemble together the night before) I dressed up as HatMan (complete with mask, beanie copter, and fluffy slippers... but, sadly, no cape). That last was, of course, at the costume party. Also in attendence (among others) were Ultra Woman, Supergirl, Dr. Klein, Lois "pregnant" with a basketball, Lois as Larry the chop shop guy, the Newtrich sisters, Phil (of Exotic Pet Palace fame, complete with frog), a couple of "extras standing next to the invisible man," and, my personal favorite, the "Top Banana" (complete with Del Monte sticker).

I met a dozen FoLCs that weekend (including one who'd flown in from Israel). People who liked at least some of the same things I did. People I'd seen online. Authors whose stories I'd read and enjoyed. Old friends and new. It's the only formal FoLC Fest I've ever attended, but I had a blast.

Since then, I've taken more than one trip that involved driving a couple hundred miles by myself, solely for the purpose of seeing FoLCs (some of whom I'd met before, some of whom I was going specifically to meet). One of those trips was the Boston one Kaylle mentioned. Another was to attend a wedding (FoLC bride, a couple of FoLC bridesmaids, and a couple of FoLC guests).

Other times, I've just happened to be in the right area. My grandfather's place in Florida just happens to be pretty close to the city where Queen of the Capes used to live. When I took a trip to Australia last year, Tricia took some time away to meet up with me.

I met Sara Kraft when, on her way out to Europe, she stayed over with my family.

I've also flown across the country to attend the aforementioned WAFF. That was a week, my record so far for longest duration.

Along the way, I've also met several FoLCs by association (not included in the above count). Husbands, brothers. A former roommate (still on my LJ flist). Other family and friends at the wedding.

I just keep my eyes open for opportunities. Sometimes, I make the opportunities. It's well worth it. FoLCs are some of the coolest people around. And they're around in quite a few places. Whenever I go somewhere new, I stop and wonder if I know anyone there. I've met FoLCs from around the country. I've met FoLCs from four different continents. I hope to meet still more.

Of course, like Kaylle said, there are FoLCs out there with much more impressive claims. Heck, anyone who attended LAFF in its heyday could easily dwarf my totals. But it's not about the numbers. It's all about meeting friends and having fun.

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
How nice to put faces to the names. Everyone looks great!

Jackie

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard