Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
M
Howdy, all! Tell us what's on your mind today.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Good morning all!!!

Due to the massive winter storm that swept across the midwest yesterday, I am currently held up inside my house...

Wrapped up in a warm blanket, sitting next to my fireplace with a cup of mocha - heavy on the chocolate - watching LNC and attempting to do a little writing.

Tentatively I don't have to go in to work until 10:00, but there's a possiblity that they may close the office (I'm keeping my fingers crossed). If I could stay home today by my fire and snow outside on the ground (and writing on my story) it would be the perfect Friday.

How is everyone else's Friday going?

-- MR angel-devil

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Sounds blissful, DJ - I'll cross my fingers the office stays closed.

We have a lovely, crisp, bright day, after three solid weeks of howling gales and lashing rain (I thought we were going to be lucky to wake up still having a roof, last night). There's some kind of strange phenomenum going on outside. I think it's called daylight. I've seen so little of it lately, I've forgotten what it looks like. laugh

Had a lazy day, so far. Rediscovered an old TV show called Ultraviolet, that I hadn't seen in years. Watched all six episodes back to back, which was a lot of fun. Then added the DVD to my wish list to remind me to buy it at some point.

Now, going to have a (very) late lunch and then get on with some housework.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Top Banana
Top Banana
Well, let's see . . .

It's unseasonably warm here in Maryland today, and I won't get out of work until it's dark. I hate that part.

When I get home, I'm going to start doing the re-writing of PPKM4 so that I can post it later this weekend.

Then, I'm going to watch Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut--again--this time with the commentary on, before I go to sleep.

Tomorrow, I'm going running with my sister around one of the "fitness trails" they have downtown. (I've been trying to lose weight lately, but all I've done is gain 40 pounds that I didn't have in high school.)

Then, I think I should clean my room, but that's an iffy thing. I also still have to give out those gift bags from church to people.

Sunday is church from 9-Noon, then after that I'll pretty much be free to write, read, or whatever.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Merriwether
Merriwether
Hooray for weekends.

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
Features Writer
Features Writer
MetroRhodes, so you get your "break" today? I got mine yesterday. laugh I'm right in the middle of the DFW metroplex and although it wasn't much, we had ice, sleet and snow yesterday. Actually, the ground is still covered with some snow, although I'm pretty sure it will go away by the end of the day.

I think it's interesting to see the reactions of the communities in different regions of the country. I lived for a year in Ohio, and there, when it snowed, most of the time the schools were still open and businesses kept going. It's normal. Here, if we have a light snow storm, that's it. Schools have to close, nobody can drive (and those who do get into accidents because they have absolutely no idea how to react to icy conditions), it's chaos. smile

I remember listening yesterday to the Weather Channel and hear them saying that it was possible Chicago would have 8 to 12 inches of snow. We barely had one inch. Ever since I came to Texas (2002), I've noticed that we have an average of one day of snow/ice/sleet per year, which probably explains the "panic" factor. We're NEVER ready.

Today, I have to go to work, as usual. And I'm late. laugh

malu

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I agree - It is very interesting how differently different regions react to winter weather.

Poor Sue was complaining to me yesterday that she never gets a snow day because up where she lives, there is a lot of snow - it's just normal and people go on about their day.

But down south, it's a different story. Where I live, we get more freezing rain and sleet than we do actual snow. And it seems, even after years of knowing this, that our road crews just don't know how to deal with it. They don't start early enough and don't do nearly enough. Plus, it seems people forget how to drive in bad weather from winter to winter and have to relearn all over again. You have the overly-cautious people who don't want to drive over 5 mph goofy and then you have the idiots who think they can drive the same speed (often exceeding the speed limit) that they would normally drive dance

-- MR angel-devil

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
Top Banana
Top Banana
I am sitting at work... home alone so to speak. My big boss is out with kidney stones, my other boss hasn't come in yet (work started 40 minutes ago), my receptionist is out with family problems I am assuming (she yelled at her husband all day yesterday over the phone), and the only other person who works in my dept hasn't come in yet since she only works half days.

Luckily it is slow so I am doing nothing but relaxing and reading the message boards. No big plans for the weekend either except to cross stitch some and maybe play some Final Fantasy 12. smile

On another note, I just bought my plane tickets to go home to Alabama for Christmas to see my family. I hate flying though. Actually hate isn't the word... terrified is more like it. *sigh* But it is the only way I can get home so I will have to deal. smile

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
Sounds great, DJ. I wish everything closed down for snow around here but I'm in one of those places where it's just business as usual. -14F and we just got 10 inches of snow. Hopeing the forecast is wrong in predicting another 10 tonight but since it's currently snowing I tend to believe it.

Well I don't get much of a weekend this week. Our house is up for sale so we all have to be out of it for the next 4 days for showings. We're staying with my parents and will hopefully have our place sold by Monday. *crosses fingers*

Have a great weekend, all!

Jackie

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
We've got freezing rain up here... oh joy! I'd take several inches of snow over freezing rain any day. (I still shudder when I remember the ice storm we had a few years ago...)

I'm in a very weird mood today. I'm on this real incredible high from having finished my 50,000 words in time (for NaNoWriMo) -- but... I've learned earlier this week that my Christmas bonus this year will come in the form of a severance pay (The Terminator came through the office, I guess. *lol*) and this is my first day back since then so I feel really weird being here...

The only thing that's not so bad is that right now, nobody knows. So no one is feeling sorry for me yet - I'd flip out having to last 3 weeks with people looking at me like I need to be spared or something. eeep!

Well... Lunch over, gotta go back to documenting all these things that I do cause I'm the only person left who knows anything about them...

I hope you guys have a great week-end!! laugh

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by LabRat:
Sounds blissful, DJ - I'll cross my fingers the office stays closed.

We have a lovely, crisp, bright day, after three solid weeks of howling gales and lashing rain (I thought we were going to be lucky to wake up still having a roof, last night). There's some kind of strange phenomenum going on outside. I think it's called daylight. I've seen so little of it lately, I've forgotten what it looks like. laugh

Had a lazy day, so far. Rediscovered an old TV show called Ultraviolet, that I hadn't seen in years. Watched all six episodes back to back, which was a lot of fun. Then added the DVD to my wish list to remind me to buy it at some point.

Now, going to have a (very) late lunch and then get on with some housework.

LabRat smile
Ultraviolet was a great show - wish I'd known someone was after it, I had an extra set of the DVDs and sold it on ebay just a couple of weeks ago. But it's pretty easy to find - www.play.com have it for £9.99, and it's often cheaper on ebay.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Weirdly, on my wish list, Amazon says it's £9.89. When I click on the item, the actual product page lists it as £14.97.

All of which is a bit away from the £6.47 it was listed at earlier in the day, when I added it to my wish list!

Boy, you really have to watch Amazon these days.

I never thought of checking Ebay, but will do! Thanks, Marcus.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally posted by DSDragon:
Then, I'm going to watch Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut--again--this time with the commentary on, before I go to sleep.
I saw this for the first time last night. Wow. Very different. I'd heard a few things about it, but was still impressed how they were able to make a full movie out of it by splicing in a few Richard Lester scenes. I liked the revelation scene a lot, more than I did the one that made it into the official movie version. And it's cool that it was never filmed originally, so they used the original screen test that was given to Christopher Reeve and Margot Kidder. Awesome! I'd definitely recommend seeing this for anyone who liked the official Superman II.

I haven't seen it yet with the commentary. I don't usually watch the commentaries, but in this case, I think it'll be fascinating.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
Well, thanks to the lovely snow (I think we got about 6-8": thank God for great, friendly neighbors who helped me shovel out my driveway), I'm stuck at home. We were supposed to fly out to NY for my Gma's funeral, but the flights kept getting cancelled. 9 hrs, 3 airlines, 4 itineraries later, I'm at Dad's looking forward to a 4am wakeup alarm so we can try it all over again tomorrow!! Talk about spending quality family time in an airport! smile (Very thankful for the nice Northwest lady who felt sorry for us and gave us a free pass to the executive lounge which we promptly moved into and took over!)

Other than that my Friday is going great!

Jo

Columnist
Columnist
It's a pretty boring day here.

It's warm, though, a striking 13°F! Believe me, when you've spent the last month or so in 20-30 below that's nearly shorts and t-shirt weather! But I've been in my dorm room all day, going between watching LnC, Superman Returns, and VH1 "I Love the 90s".

I'm also staring blankly at my latest fanfic and not getting any writing, homework, or studying for finals done.

"Lois Lane is Clark Kent's Superman." - Brian Miller
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Quiet day here, as Fridays tend to be--classes only go till 1:20, and half the dorm empties out by the afternoon/evening, as most of 'em live around here. I took a nap this afternoon and didn't get all the homework done I was going to, but Sunday is coming along and I'll get plenty done then.

It's been flurrying half the day, melting into slush the other half, dismal and dreary, and I'm very glad I'm in a warm dorm and don't have to go out into the cold and wet for anything.

I'm currently fiddling with Photoshop, flipping through tabs on my browser, listening to gorgeous choral music, enjoying a quiet Friday evening. smile

Don't point. You make holes in the air and the faeries escape.
M
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
M
So far my weekend has been a lot busier than usual.

Yesterday at work I had to begin training a new person, and by the end of the day I was dead on my feet. All the things that come naturally to you when you have done a job for a long time have to be explained, and I never realized how exhausting that can be.

After work I went to my mother's for dinner and a business meeting and spent the night. My 14 year old brother woke me up this morning by telling the black lab to jump on me, which she did with gusto. But he wanted to go to IHOP for french toast, so I guess that was a good enough reason. After breakfast, he and I and the dog had a massive tickle fight on my mother's new bed.

Then I went to my 11 year old brother's flag football game in the rain - they lost - and then to a Mexican restaurant for lunch and then home. Whew! I haven't had this much activity within 24 hours in weeks.

Yesterday my husband went to find the new ornament for our Christmas tree. It's something we do every year, and we try to choose something that has some significance related to the year. Look what he chose. He said it was in honor of my new obsession! smile

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Top Banana
Top Banana
Well, I got the new chapter posted last night, got the outline written for as much of the rest of the story as I could think of, and watched MOST of the Donner cut with the commentary before 2am, when I just HAD to go to sleep.

Then this morning, my sister and I went "running" (actually we jogged, then I had to walk for a while) for a bit, and when we got home, I finished the movie with the commentary and read season 6, episode 11 before coming back to the boards again.

And here I am. I'm debating on possibly typing up chapter five, reading episode 12, or taking a shower. I'll probably do all three in some sort of order, but I don't know which.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Merriwether
Merriwether
Originally posted by MrsMosley:
Yesterday at work I had to begin training a new person, and by the end of the day I was dead on my feet. All the things that come naturally to you when you have done a job for a long time have to be explained, and I never realized how exhausting that can be.
Being the trainee can be plenty exhausting too. It's amazing how much harder it is to talk about a job than to do it! wink

As far as snow days, we never have 'em. laugh

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by LabRat:
Weirdly, on my wish list, Amazon says it's £9.89. When I click on the item, the actual product page lists it as £14.97.

All of which is a bit away from the £6.47 it was listed at earlier in the day, when I added it to my wish list!
Amazon themselves aren't selling it at that price, but it's on the "new and used" link at £6.96 from a company called Quality DVDs Direct - personally I'd be cautious because they only have a 91% approval rating, so one customer in ten is unhappy with their service. Remember that if you use those links you get charged for postage on a per item basis, not on the total order value, and don't get free delivery on a large order, so it's not necessarily going to save you much money. www.play.com don't charge for postage, so £9.99 is their total price.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard