Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Merriwether
Merriwether
Can't resist the pun.

Do you hope he will be Smitten with you?

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
Kerth
Kerth
Ouch! Bad pun! wildguy

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Columnist
Columnist
There's Jason Lee's son: Pilot Inspektor.

I've gone to school with boys named Miracle Angel Ulysses and Sir Tolaver. Their parents sure had some high hopes for them.

"Lois Lane is Clark Kent's Superman." - Brian Miller
Top Banana
Top Banana
Can't resist the pun.

Do you hope he will be Smitten with you?
Oooh, Woody, that's so bad! evil (And the answer is: totally.)

Actually, a while back, whenever someone would have trouble pronouncing my last name, I'd always tell them to think of a love-struck pirate . . . y'know, like:

"Smitten?"

"Aar!" cat

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Merriwether
Merriwether
Yeah, I thought of using the aar for something with pirates, but decided to just keep it simple.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
K
When I was in first grade there were twin girls in my class named Hope and Joy. They had a sister named Faith and a brother named... Chuck laugh

Never really understood that one wink

Kaylle

Blogger
Blogger
Oh and don't forget, my personal favorite weird name--

Moon Unit Zappa

Thank goodness my parents had sense in naming me and my sisters! Although, part of it is because my mother hated her own name growing up (Laviana Delores) so much that she has gone by "Bonnie" all her life (very long story on how that nickname came about!).

In my family the weirdest it gets is my sister Lynness--and the worst that happens is that nobody can ever spell it right.

Seriously though, what are all these parents thinking?!?

"I don't know Mom; it's a bomb stain." -Clark Kent
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Remember, Moon Unit has a brother named Dweezil.

Ich.

When our first child was born, I was told about a young woman who named her daughter (phonetic spelling attempt) Fe-Mal-Ay because she saw the wristband on the baby and the notation "FEMALE" and - well, she was a teen mother.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
When our first child was born, I was told about a young woman who named her daughter (phonetic spelling attempt) Fe-Mal-Ay because she saw the wristband on the baby and the notation "FEMALE" and - well, she was a teen mother.
Hah, don't forget Male (Mal-Ay) as well! My father did a rotation in ob-gyn and such many moons ago, and he would tell me about the deliveries and all the people that named their kids Male and Female.

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Merriwether
Merriwether
My husband came across this name...and it IS real. Theodorus Van Everdink.

I can't believe someone would name their kid Superman. It's soooo bad. I'm still shaking my head.

I used to want to name my kids, if I have any, Rowan, Allwyn, Owen (I've heard it as a boy or girl),Haydn or Rohan. After family members and/or a combo of my name and my husand's. One sprurs fond memories as a child and no not from LOTR.

Now I can't use Rohan because of course LOTR. Rowan is becoming popular and I'm miffed about that. I love Arwyn and Éowyn but of course I can't now because of LOTR too. I love different names, or names that seem different but are not to me (would probably be a better way of putting it). Should I risk it and just name them what I want anyways?

My name is Ruth as some of you know (if anyone reads my posts) and I hated going through life with that name. My mum, former hippie, refused to name me something like Summer, Echo or Moon Beam like the others she hung out with incase I wanted to be a serious accountant or lawyer (ah she dreamt). Sometimes I wish I had a name 'weird' like that because if someone tells me one more time that it's an old lady's name or calls me Ruthie (and proceeds to tease me) I'll just wallbash She was going to call me Cody or Roo, but figured she should stay with something small and easy to spell to try and not tramatize me to much. I know I would have suffered trauma either way and I just like the weird names b/c of my normal one.

After calling her "Heather She Who Must Not Be Named" a few times, I've officially shortened it to "Heather Voldemort." She likes it!
That's cool!

However, after getting married and adding on my husband's name to my own, I do get a lot of compliments on my name now. HAHA.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Although, part of it is because my mother hated her own name growing up (Laviana Delores)
And she named you sister Lynness? It almost sounds like lioness or Linus. But hey, I think your mom’s name is pretty - I like Laviana. Never heard it before, but I like it. And get my mom’s name - Belva Imogene. How about that one? (And yes, she hates it.)

Should I risk it and just name them what I want anyways?
As long as they really are names, then why not? (Just don’t name one of your kids Superman, Kal-El, Lois Lane, or Clark Kent. I’ve actually met a Clark Kent.)

Hey SuperRoo, I wouldn’t worry about your name so much. When I was growing up, Emily was considered a hideous name. Now it’s very common and is considered a nice name. And you do have one of the oldest names around. Good solid name. (I say that now, but oh, how I used to wish I was named something besides Nancy.)

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Kerth
Kerth
Well, I used to hate my name, too. I mean, 'Melanie' is very common. And I've met several other Melanies, which I found confusing. And then the meaning ('the black' or 'the dark'). It made me feel like the black sheep in the family.

And then, there are seveal ways to make my name into something hideous. At least in German. And I hated them all. One of the worst inventions was from my brother, who called me 'Mel' for some time. I mean, do I look like Mel Gibson? Certainly not. Wrong gender...

To top it off, my mother didn't even think of granting me a second name, so I can't even choose. Well, I learned to cope by using 'Mellie' most of the time. My mom doesn't like it overly much (thinks it is too childish), but then she doesn't have to live with it.

A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Theodorus Van Everdink
Hey, my little brother is named Theodoros! *g* "How weird a name is depends on your perspective."

See ya,
AnnaBtG. laugh

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Spotted this while searching for something else and bumped it up because I was watching a rerun of a quiz show last night and they had a very nice example of parental lunacy.

Euryn.

Poor, poor kid.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
T
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
T
Hi Ruth. My grandmother wanted me to be named Ruth (she actually wanted to name my mother Ruth, but her mother (my great-grandmother, who was named Ruth and who's oldest was named Ruth) said they had too many Ruths and she should name my mother Ann (after her sister Ann). Did I mention my grandmother was named Ann?

So Ruth had daughters named Ruth and Ann. Ruth had only sons. Ann wanted to name her daughter Ruth, but Ruth (the elder) said Ann should name her daughter Ann (after Ruth-the-elder's sister) and she did. So when Ann-the-younger had me, her mother wanted me to be named Ruth. My mother didn't like Ruth, and so I'm Rebecca. Which I thought was quite plain for a while while I was in elementary school, but doesn't bother me now. I am glad she didn't name Ruth, though. But Ann is my middle name.

I've decided that if I have children, I don't want them named after anybody. Just names that no (close) family members have.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
There's a Superman I had a couple of classes with at the University of Kentucky, and he went to high school with one of my buddies. In high school, Superman was on the wrestling team. How lame did the other guy feel when their names were announced just before a match?

"Joe Smith versus SUUUUUUUUPERMAAAAAAAAN Berrow"?

Talk about a kick to the ego for the other side.

Oh, and Superman has three brothers who also came to UK. They all have "normal" names: James, John and Steve.

~ Crystal

"Not all those who wander are lost." — JRR Tolkien
Merriwether
Merriwether
Let's just hope someone never names their kid Mxyzptlk.

I wonder how many kids get named Ringo.

Merriwether
Merriwether
LOL my middle name is Anne.
I have always loved the name Emily. I have many dolls with that name and Rebecca too smile
I don't have much family and not physically near or close to much of them so worrying about too many duplicates isn't much of a worry.

Mind you my hubbie has the same first name as his dad and grandfather. My brother-in-law has his dad's middle name as his middle name. That's craziness.

Funky names I've come across at work:
Anitta Ralph
Harry Toupet (sounds similar to the hair piece)
Winter Falle (don't know how to pronouce the last name)

My husband comes across ones that are soo awesome, but I can't remember them and it's probably a good idea (confidential stuff). whinging jump

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
Kerth
Kerth
Winter Falle (don't know how to pronouce the last name)
Well, it might be a German pun. 'Winter' is 'winter', and 'Falle' is 'trap'...

Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Penn Jillet, the magician from "Illusions of Grandeur" I think?

Moxie Crimefighter confused

And the child is a GIRL whinging whinging

And remember what Bob Geldof named his three daughters?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard