Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#208774 11/17/06 07:56 AM
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I was listening to the radio today and there was an item about a survey here in the UK which has thrown up some crazy baby names being given by parents these days.

We now apparently have living in the UK, several Gandalfs, Arsenals...and two Supermen.

Can you imagine going through childhood with the name Superman? dizzy Poor, poor kids. Those parents should be done for child abuse!

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
C_A Offline
Columnist
Columnist
Nicolas Cage named his kid Kal-El. Why not just permanently attach a "Kick me" sign to his back? If Cage wanted to pay homage to Superman, he could've just named the boy Clark. That would save his son much grief growing up.

Fanfic | MVs

Clark: "Lois? She's bossy. She's stuck up, she's rude... I can't stand her."
Lana: "The best ones always start that way."

"And you already know. Yeah, you already know how this will end." - DeVotchKa
Top Banana
Top Banana
I read an article about it this morning:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20061117/lf_afp/afplifestylebritain_061117111622

Think about the kids named Gandalf! LOL

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
My cousin adopted 2 siblings. They were young enough that they re-named them. Couldn't figure out where the one name came from until my aunt talked to me (knew this trivia would come in handy one day!). The boy's name was Kalel! (He's now renamed after my mom's family name--a much better moniker to have!)

Jo

LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks for the link, Jojo! I tried finding it earlier but couldn't track it down.

"However, it would appear that the famous British sense of humour is alive and well, with six parents naming their son Gandalf, along with one Harry Potter and two Supermans," she added.
Grief! Sense of humour? That's one way of putting it, I guess. Though I doubt the kids in question will find it half as amusing somehow! laugh

OTOH:

Among actors, Keanu Reaves has given birth to some 1,120 little nominal offspring
rotflol Who's been a busy boy, then?

Nicolas Cage named his kid Kal-El. Why not just permanently attach a "Kick me" sign to his back?
Ouch. Course you tend to expect this kind of lunacy from celebs. It's kind of worrisome that it's spread to everyone else!

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, you know... Superman is a very normal name compared to some that I have read recently.

There's a couple in British Columbia (Canada... yes...) whose four kids are named:

Repent of Your Sins
Repent or Burn Forever
Messiah is Coming
Mashiah Hosannah

I'm NOT kidding. I can't find the article in English, but I know I have a bookmark to a page in French which states sources and things... on my other computer though. Anyway... suffice it to say, it's true.

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Merriwether
Merriwether
That just brings to mind one website that truly makes you wonder about people: Bad baby names

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Kerth
Kerth
My mom was a midwife and the top two of her "All-Time Worst Names of Babies I Delivered" list were Latrina John (toilet toilet?!) and
Crystal Shanda Leer (say it all together quickly). I currently have a student who is so embarrased by her last name (Dick) that she refuses to say it out loud. After calling her "Heather She Who Must Not Be Named" a few times, I've officially shortened it to "Heather Voldemort." She likes it! smile

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Holy.... goofy )

Wish I'd had a teacher like you, Groobie, to lessen the pain. laugh

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Having a really common (first) name, I like the idea of unusual/rare names. Especially some ancient Greek names - many of them are really beautiful, though people usually blink upon hearing one. For example, my father is pretty amazed at having a student named 'Andromeda'. Personally, I wouldn't mind being named like that.
(But then again, I live in Greece and speak Greek, so there's a bit of a double-standard here laugh )

Having said that, some words are just not meant to be names. Superman??? Good grief, people. I do support meaningful names (as opposed to jumbled strings of letters), but... really.

I'm currently perusing the link Karen left. There are a few names I actually like, based on spelling and sound, but some of them are... I'll spare you my bitter comments.

I mean, seriously:

"For the last 50 years, my family has been naming their children after Southwestern Ontario cities."

Why, oh WHY?

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I like the idea of unusual/rare names
Unusual names I like. After all, one of my characters is named Zared (a real name - Biblical).

But you are right about naming a kid Superman.

I used to work in obstetrics. Two names that I came across - Heaven Lee and (kid you not) Blue Smurf.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
After calling her "Heather She Who Must Not Be Named" a few times, I've officially shortened it to "Heather Voldemort." She likes it!
You sound like a fun teacher, groobie!

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Heheh! Weeiiird names. I would Never, NEVER name my son Superman! I mean, naming a stuffed animal "superman" would be ok (yes I do name them sometimes goofy ) but a child? dizzy

What about calling your cats "Help" and "Fire" and go looking for them in the garden and yelling their names :rolleyes:

I love the smell of fear in the newsroom.
Kerth
Kerth
I guess I'm not totally innocent when it comes to unusual names. My daughter's first and third names are *very* uncommon, but at least no embarrassing.

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Features Writer
Features Writer
Yeah, I've heard VERY weird names for children. There was a story a long time ago on TV in Brazil about this family with three children which had the following names (translated to English, but the words are still weird):

Xerox
Photocopy
Authenticated

Apparently, the mother worked in a copy center and LOVED those words.

Also, I once was in a hospital in Brazil and had a nurse call out a name that made me go "WHAT???". The first name of this little boy was "Walt Disney".

Weird, huh?

malu

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yes, I've met a Walt Disney, too.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Kerth
Kerth
What I've met so far:
Felix Henrich Napoleon
Philip Dagobert (Dagobert is the German name of Scrooge McDuck)
Felix Robert Denis (pronounced French - sounds like Robert DeNiro)

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Originally posted by LabRat:
I sympathise with Heather, having had a surname I was mortally embarrassed by as a child.
Been there...

I was born Anna Owen (yes, a boy's name but it was my great-great-grandmother's maiden name) Rottenberg. And it's pronounced just as it looks. I was so happy when I got to change my last name at age 14!!!

dizzy

Anne >^,,^<

"I only know how to make four things, and this is the only one without chocolate." Lois Lane "All My I've Got a Crush on You 10/24/1993
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Years ago, I read an article about a couple who lived on the beach in Florida. They named their children Sandy, Rocky, Coral and Pebbles!!!

jawdrop

Anne >^,,^<

"I only know how to make four things, and this is the only one without chocolate." Lois Lane "All My I've Got a Crush on You 10/24/1993
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally posted by LabRat:
I sympathise with Heather, having had a surname I was mortally embarrassed by as a child.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Been there...

I was born Anna Owen (yes, a boy's name but it was my great-great-grandmother's maiden name) Rottenberg. And it's pronounced just as it looks. I was so happy when I got to change my last name at age 14!!!
Try having the first name Darcy (which was somewhat meanly rhymed with "Parsley" in kindergarten), and the last name Smittenaar--which got mis-pronounced a LOT, not to mention changed to "spit an hour" by a few of the other kids when I was in third grade.

To top it off, my middle name is Ann, so my initials spell the word "sad" backwards.

Don't get me wrong, I like my half-Dutch heritage, but I can't WAIT to find a decent guy with a more common (at least here in the States) last name!

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard