Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
My 'other' computer - the stupid one, is once again in the process of crashing. I'm getting a message that I should back up everything before the hard drive dies. Well, I can't figure out how to do that. I knew how to do it with Windows 3.1, 95 and 98, but I can't seem to make it work with XP. Any suggestions?

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Depends what resources are available to you. Thinking of backup media you may copy contents from one harddisk to another, use cd-r/dvd-r or you can go a different route and transfer that important data via local network to your primary computer.

Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Most of the really important stuff I've already backed-up, but there were a few pics I wanted to save and a some other stuff. Apparently, at some point a nasty worm invaded the computer, and thus far I haven't even been able to send pics via the internet because they are infected. And my virus scanner won't clean it. I have been able to send or copy a few files, so I guess that's better than nothing. I'm pretty sure the nasty little bugger will prevent me from using a local network, too. And transferring from one hard drive to another is just going to transfer the worm. Arggghhh. At this point, I guess I'm going to have to give it up.

On another note, does anyone else get aggravated at Microsoft's 'improvements' in Windows. Windows 98 had this wonderful thing where you could just tell it to backup everything and you didn't have to go through stuff file by file. And remember how they told you back 'when' that you didn't need to ever worry about ever storing paper documents again because the files would always be supported? I was foolish enough to believe them and have lost some poems that I wrote that were very important to me. razz

Windows used to have a really nice Paint program. Now it's next to a joke. I've noticed lots of other little things like that. Anybody else notice these little things and get aggravated?

M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Windows XP does have a backup feature, it just doesn't automatically load for some strange reason. You have to actually manually load it from your CD Rom. (And, yes, I find this very irriatating, seems like a backup feature is a pretty basic thing to have)

Check this out:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/bott_03july14.mspx

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Thanks, Lisa, I'll try this.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard