Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
I need new Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware I was wondering what the best working one has been for the people of this board.

Love Is the One Thing That Never Ends.
Top Banana
Top Banana
I use Avast! Anti-Virus and Spy-Bot. My dad (who works on/fixes computers for a living) recommended that I use both at least once a week, but I've found that if I run Avast! first, and then Spy-Bot, in succession, overnight (since it takes FOREVER and I've got things to do on the computer when I'm awake), then after a couple of checks, I don't get anything showing up, even if it's been a couple of months since the last check.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I absolutely can recommend a-squared Free which is a freeware tool to scan for spyware, adware, worms and other malware. Of course there still is the classic Spybot Search & Destroy which works just as well. AdAware may have been great in the past but has long since been overshadowed by better alternatives.

An anti virus software is another thing altogether. There does exist free software as well but I have no experience with them. You either want to use something from Symantec/Norton or McAfee, because both are very easy to use and allow a satisfactory protection of your computer.

Keep in mind that most so-called anti-virus software with additional adware/spyware features will never be the way to go, because dedicated scanners like a-squared or Spybot S&D are the best in their job.

Merriwether
Merriwether
I recommend a Mac. wink *runs*

Okay, seriously. I don't use them a whole lot, because I consider myself a smart browser. But the ones I do use is Ad-Aware and Spybot. Trend Micro is a good free antivirus. For that matter, all of the big names (MacAfee, AVG, Norton) are all good, but watch out with them, as they can attempt to take over your mail settings, and actually prevent you from getting your mail. (Norton and AVG are the big offenders here). You can change the settings to stop this, though.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard