Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Hello all,

In a couple of days where I live, the Folklorama festival will be kicking off.

Link --> http://www.folklorama.ca/folklorama.php

Basically this is how it is described:
Experience the energy of Folklorama, the largest and longest running multicultural event of its kind in the world! From traditional home-cooked meals to electrifying nightly performances by local, national and international entertainers, Folklorama will create a feast for the senses as you experience 40-plus cultural pavilions. Take home a keepsake of your visit by exploring the cultural display areas found in each pavilion.
For example, the Japanese pavilion will be held at in a high school gym. You get to watch a show, some demonstrations, eat food, socialize and be merry!

Japanese Pavilion
Hours:
Sun-Sat 6:00-11:00pm
Show Times:
Sun-Sat 6:45, 8:15, 9:45pm
Coordinator:
David Murata
Ambassadors:
Meaghan Bellman-Mukai
Stacey Matsumoto
Youth Ambassadors:
Alex Miki

Yōkoso
Experience the beautiful performances of the Kaede and Aurora dance groups, and have your breathe taken away by the thunderous taiko drums by world-famous Hinode Taiko. Powerful demonstrations in karate and kendo will leave you wanting more!
Dine on delicious sushi, or choose one of our box lunches – beef or chicken. Try manju for the first time, it’s a white bean cake that will keep you coming back for more. Savour a glass of Japanese sake or plum wine with your meal, or cool off with a refreshing glass of Asahi or Kirin beer.
Children will love learning all about the ancient art of origami. Be sure to stop by our cultural display area where we will have Ikebana (flower arranging) and calligraphy demonstrations.
http://www.mjccc.org
The pavilions are not the same every year. The 'New Zealand/Australian' pavilion does not set up every year. However, there are some staple pavilions - Pilipino and Irish ones - they have to pavilions each!

You may ask what the point of this topic is - well here I go:

There has not been an English pavilion for such a long time! I'm sure there has been one...hmm maybe in the 80s.

I'm sad to say I have no idea what one would have at an English pavilion! Both of my parents are English (step-dad Japanese) and my father-in-law is English and yet nothing intelligent comes out of my mouth.

My husband says the English pavilion would just have an overwhelming need to take over the other pavilions....ok.

Well I have ideas, but I'm sure they are lame!!

Any suggestions?
- What would you like to watch/listen?
- What would you like to eat?
- What do you think of when you think English?
- Anything?

Cheers,
Roo

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Trying a bit of free association:

Morris Dancing
Well Dressing
Maypole Dances
Fish and Chips
Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pud
Sausage and Mash
Cricket
Football
Strawberries and cream at Wimbledon
Beer
Regional delicacies (Cornish pasties, Devon clotted cream, Bakewell tart, jellied eels, Pontefract cakes, Eccles cakes, Kendal mint cake, Yorkshire curd tart, Cheshire cheese, Cheddar cheese, etc)
English folk music
Northumberland pipes
Bowler hats
Nottingham lace
Shakespeare
Thatched cottages
Castles and jousting
Shrove Tuesday (and pancake tossing)

How's that? I think I've run out of steam laugh .

Yvonne

Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
smile1 Thanks!!! laugh

Oh I love Devon/Devonshire/Devonlyawesome or Devonsurlyawesome clotted cream (latter according to one of my cousins). I have not been able to find it where I live. I think I'll just have to go on a trip again to get some!!!

It's pretty sad that my mind is so clogged. I was having a conversation with someone from Norway and they asked me what I'd have in a Canadian one. Beyond beer, hockey, banick and maple syrup I had to actually think. OH DEAR. Hello history major here!

party

Top Banana
Top Banana
Robin Hood, the Rolling Stones (but likely not in person laugh ), the Bill of Rights, a pool table smile

c.

Kerth
Kerth
Can I put in a vote for a 99 and a Galaxy bar on the food menu? And those yummy orange Kit Kats that they no longer make?

There's a long list of things I can only get/eat in Britain, but those three rank highest on my list.

Somewhere, in the depths of my desk, I have a year-old Flake bar, but I suspect it wouldn't be the same...

You want something to display? How about that massive suit of armor and accompanying codpiece of Henry VIII's on display at the Tower of London. Good grief! It's HUGE! <giggles>

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
I love those 99 things. *sigh*

We can get orange Kit Kats here (never tried) and Galaxy Bars (yummy).

Thanks!

Kerth
Kerth
British phone box (old red design with lots of small windows)
A Dalek (it's about the most iconic British TV object)
Cricket equipment and a video showing the game being played.
British money (coins especially - when I was in the US everyone seemed to be fascinated by the polygonal 20p and 50p coins and the bimetallic £2 coin.
British stamps - the only ones in the world that don't give the name of the country they come from, since everyone else got the idea from us.
British policeman with helmet.
An old style mini-cooper or similar.

Hope this helps.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Top Banana
Top Banana
I thought it was an English pavilion, not a British pavilion. laugh

Yvonne

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard