Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
rivka Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
This is a job for some Superman or other
Last night I went to an early showing of "Superman Returns," the first time the legendary Man of Steel has been on the big screen in almost 20 years. Or over 25 years, if you forget about Superman III and IV, and I strongly suggest you do. I have. And with this return we've finally received what we've all been waiting for: yet another new version.

Reviews have been mostly positive, but some loyal fans have objected to some of the movie's surprising new revelations. I won't spoil the surprise by mentioning Lois' shocking new lifestyle choice (cannibalism), but I have to wonder; exactly which Superman are these fans worrying about changing?

Every new incarnation of The Man of Tomorrow has brought us something new. In the last 70+ years Superman has been powerful, all-powerful, powerless, cocky, polite, naive, and insightful. He's had different costumes and different powers. He's been an old man, a teen hero, a super-powered baby, a reporter, a news anchor, a novelist, married, and dead. There have been short ones, fat ones, tall ones, skinny ones, even Supermen with alien chicken pox. There have been multiple Supermen at the same time, and even more on different Earths/dimensions/whatevers.
More...

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Kerth
Kerth
NEUROTICALLY PARALYZED SUPERMAN -- Tom Welling's Clark in "Smallville" and, to a lesser extent, Dean Cain's Superman in "Lois and Clark," this Man of Steel is so wracked with self-doubt and emotional turmoil you just want to reach into the TV screen and slap him. Sample quote: "I have to stop a bank robbery, Lana/Lois, making this the seventh episode in a row we couldn't talk about the feelings that are tearing us up inside. Sorry."
<snort!> I guess I'm glad I never watched Smallville then. Personally, I liked the self-doubt and emotional turmoil in the character. It made him human. <g>

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard