Hack from Nowheresville
T
Spoiler-free minireviews from the press screening

Hollywood Elsewhere

Superman Homepage

Bluetights.net

Comic Book Resources

Boston Herald

I've heard that there is a negative one, but haven't found the link yet (well, I've seen one, but it was from someone who didn't see the movie himself, but someone he knew did or something). I know Justin's been a big supporter all along, but then he's known more than we have all along.

Of course, I won't be saying anything until I see it myself, but I'm pretty optimistic (but then I have been ever since the first full-lenth trailer came out). Hope I'm not wrong.

Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Jeffery Wells' "non-review" review was the one that gave me the best feeling...he managed to totally spoil the movie (for the average non-fan) by some open speculation on his website the other day, which led to charges that he was poised to hate the movie no matter what, so seeing his reaction to a screening makes me very,very happy.

As a huge Supes fan long before "L+C" came along, a good movie about my favourite superhero is always going to be a treat. This and "Pirates 2" are definitely going to be the highlights of my summer movie viewing!!!

thumbsup

Femme fatale with a hopelessly romantic heart!
T
Tzigone Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
T
Now there are like 11 clips available to watch (from about 30 seconds long to about 1:15 each). I have not watched. I'm trying not to be too spoiled. I must have willpower. I hope this movie is good.

Beat Reporter
Online Content
Beat Reporter
Aghhhh! I just found out that Superman is due in cinemas in Germany... August 17th!!!! cat

I mean... that´s almost too months still! Anyone know why it opens so late? I mean, for Spain and France, for example, it´s July 12th...

Aghhhhhhhh wallbash

Cris
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Tzigone wrote:
I'm trying not to be too spoiled.
I'm totally spoiled, and loving it! Well, actually, the clips are actually not very spoilery, and tell you even less than the trailer does. But I'm loving what I've seen so far. I take back everything I ever said about Brandon Routh and Kate Bosworth being too young for the roles. They manage to fill some pretty big shoes pretty darn well. Putting the clips together, I've seen about 6 minutes of the movie, and I've already decided I'm going to see it in the theatre at least thrice and buy the DVD wink

Opens here next Wednesday. Can't wait!

"Some prices are just too high, no matter how much you may want the prize. The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
--Lois McMaster Bujold, "Memory", 1996
T
Tzigone Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
T
I was going to wait until July 1 to go, but now I've changed my mind and my sister and I are going Wednesday.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Yay Tzigone! Yeah, I know the feeling. Gotta watch it the day it opens! smile

"Some prices are just too high, no matter how much you may want the prize. The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
--Lois McMaster Bujold, "Memory", 1996
Columnist
Columnist
I've got tickets to see the first show at 10pm on Tuesday. My sisters are even going to come with me, and we're going to make a whole night of it with dinner before. I can't wait!

~Anna

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Eh... those of you lucky people who get to see that movie within a few days.... Would you mind discussing that movie here, on these boards? Personally I love spoilers, so I hope you don't hold back too much when you talk about it. Specifically, of course, I want to know this: how do you think the movie treats our favorite couple? If Clark is hardly given the time of day (and I fear he isn't), is it at least possible to sympathize with the relationship between Lois and Superman? Do you get the impression that there is hope for Lois and Superman in the movie world?

Ann

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Given Ann's request, I've changed the header of the thread to reflect that it may contain spoilers in the future. So anyone coming in here should be warned. wink

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Columnist
Columnist
Actually Labby, maybe we should keep this one spoiler free and create a new one for the spoilers? That way everyone can read what they want. Just a thought.

~Anna

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Why not? That's a good idea, I think.

Ann

T
Tzigone Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
T
So are we going to have separate spoiler and non-spoiler threads? Because I'm seeing the movie tomorrow and would love to talk about it here.

Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I am including some major plot spoilers here. Be warned.

Overall impression: I'm much happier with the movie than the book! I was in tears when Superman saved the plane. It's probably the only plane-in-distress sequence I can watch without anxiety, since I knew Superman would save the day! Some of the cheesy dialogue from the book never appeared on screen and I'm glad for that.

Details:
There are still some plot holes that bother me- I.E. In Superman II, the Superman destroyed the fortress. At least it sure looked like that to me! It was after the authorities left with Lex Luthor, and right before he and Lois talked about how they could see each other, but not like before. Maybe that scene wasn't in the theater version, but I saw it on TV, and it makes sense. Why would Superman keep the Fortress when his mortal enemy and the authorities all know where it is?

The flight with Lois still felt contrived and forced, just like in the book, but I did enjoy it. Maybe it was supposed to feel contrived, since Superman himself was just itching to get her alone in the skies!

I’m very concerned with the fact that Jason killed that guy with the piano. I sincerely hope they don't go the route in the sequels where Jason grows up to be a villain. And even though it was accidental, I'm still concerned they made that choice in the plot. Wounded would be better, in my opinion, unless the WANTED to damage Jason… setting him up to go to the dark side? I sincerely hope not!

OTOH, I ADORED the fact they had a "thug" with obvious piano skills. It was great to see that thugs have no culture/education/intelligence stereotype broken.

What kindergarten gives letter grades in specific subjects? Mine never did, neither did my brother's. And my son just finished kindergarten… they don’t give letter grades and are not graded in specific subjects like science! Not sure who let that goof through in the movie, but it did distract me to reality for a few minutes.

I was a bit puzzled by Lex's "insistence" that Richard wasn't Jason's father. I didn't see Jason suffering from the kryptonite exposure, so I don't see why Lex would come to the conclusion that Superman is his biological father. But that does set us up nicely for future plotlines involving Lex and his determination to get his mitts on Jason!

For me, the deal breaker to the book was the decision to have Lois take her SON to snoop on a boat. In the movie, the way it was set up, she wasn't as deliberately reckless, but I still think it was a poor character choice on her part. I also disagree with the reviewers that call her OVERprotective. She's not smothering with him, just on top of things like a good mom should be.

The bad science wasn't as bad as it seemed in the book. Water seemed to be more of a catalyst and not the reactant in the crystal growing reaction that used the minerals from the ocean floor. I can live with that.

The vinyl tablecloth cape didn’t move as badly as it seemed to in the short clips and stills I'd seen. But I do miss the brighter color! And I deeply miss the yellow S on the cape. But the costume worked better in motion than I had hoped… so that was a plus.

Kate as Lois worked for me. She's not Teri Hatcher, but that's okay, as Teri sometimes seems to ditzy to me. I liked Margot Kidder as Lois, and I must say I like Kate as well. She's tough, strong, and also sensitive and capable of deep feeling. I'm amazed at her ability to shake off all bumps and bruises, though. As badly as she got knocked around, she never seemed to have sore ribs or even a black and blue mark! WOW!

Lois's son Jason needs a haircut. Honestly, his long unkempt hair was a major distraction to me!

Richard was totally likeable. I really felt for him as the movie progressed. You could see him seeing Lois slip away in some fashion. And even so, he hung in there with her, helping her get to the hospital, for example. He's a great guy and I hope he is treated well in the future movies. It was a big mistake for Lois to deny loving Superman…. lies like that are never good for a relationship. And now with Jason's parentage established as fact, she's got some coming clean to do! I can see Richard handling that, though. As long as he has Lois' love in the present, I think he will continue to be a good father to Jason and a good fiancé to Lois. I sincerely hope they don't make him evolve into the resentful, then vengeful guy who becomes a villain in the future! I'd rather see him stay true to the caring guy he was in this film and have Lois come clean with him. A tragic death would also be cheating, but I'll take that to having Richard cross to the dark side. (Bad thought… what if Richard and Jason both turn evil??? EW!)

Kevin was a fantastic Lex, and not as "comic" as Gene Hackman. That, too, was okay with me. This movie was serious, not campy. And I enjoyed watching Kevin's portrayal of Lex. I'm still trying to figure out how the chopper got from the Atlantic ocean off the east coast of the USA to a tropical island complete with palm trees and coconuts…. Even a super genius should know a chopper cannot fly THAT far without a few refills!

Brandon was awesome! At times, he really looked or sounded like Chris Reeve, but it was in a good way. I always liked Reeve's Superman better than Dean Cain's. I still think DC has the best portrayal of Clark Kent, but that is partly due to director's choices. This Clark was not totally dorky, but not as "real" as what Dean Cain's. I hope that changes in the future. Brandon did a good job showing Clark's struggle to return to duty before going to save the plane. And I thought the bedroom scene with Jason was quite touching. whinging Brandon WAS Superman in this film, and he was Clark Kent, too. Well done job when he had very big shoes/boots to fill!

Overall, it was a delightful afternoon. If Brian Singer directs the next one, I'll absolutely be in the theater for it. It's good to have Superman back on the big screen! I definitely want to see it again, and IMAX would be nice for the second viewing!

clap clap clap

Jackie

Jackie N.
jacalynsue@zoominternet.net
T
Tzigone Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
T
Maybe that scene wasn't in the theater version
I can't remember if it was. But anything not in the theater version is not canon. And this only uses the first (or first two) movies as a "vague history" anyway. Or so Singer said. Frankly that entire aspect confuses me, especially since he keeps saying different things.

I’m very concerned with the fact that Jason killed that guy with the piano.
I didn't really think of it until you said it. I think it pretty clear that Jason didn't really know he could do that, that it was more reaction that anything else. I never thought he meant to. But I can see where you're coming from.

What kindergarten gives letter grades in specific subjects?
Color me confused, too. I guess maybe he skipped a grade (those super-intellect genes). But shouldn't he only be four? He looked big for four to me. Anyone know how old the actor is?

Richard was totally likeable. <snip> He's a great guy and I hope he is treated well in the future movies.
Again, I agree. I'd take him myself, except I think he's too good for me. I love Richard, and I would be extremely, extremely ticked off to see him become a bad guy or even a jerk.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the movie. I do plan to see it a second time, though before I weigh in with my final opinion.

I will say that the love between Superman and Lois came off as very deep and very genuine, and IMO, was depicted much better than in Superman II.

I can't wait to see some of the cut footage, though. Clark on the farm stuff, especially. Him saying "hi" to Ben. And the Krypton section cut from the beginning. And did they ever make the comic-book style intro?

Top Banana
Top Banana
I am among the working brain-dead today. So so tired after getting home after 1am, then being too wound up to sleep after those beautiful beautiful special effects. The entire movie was eye candy....Kate is very young but beautiful,Brandon was surprisingly more handsome than I thought he would be. The airplane scene was awesome, and Supes flying with Lois over the water (when you see a ripply reflection of the two of them, not yet realizing that they are flying over Metropolis Harbor)....that's every woman's fantasy, being in Superman's arms flying....

They cut too much out of the Smallville stuff IMO. They spent all that time growing corn and building that house and barn in beautiful Tamworth (with a mountainous horzizon, which makes me laugh- just like the TV show Smallville, Kansas has no mountains - I've driven through it - but perhaps in the DC universe it does LOL)- just to cut most of it out of the movie. I know it must be near to impossible to edit a movie - people bitch no matter what you cut...but they should release a version just for us diehards of the entire footage...yes, I'll sit thru 4 hours...I don't care LOL!

In the novel, when Lois is with Lex and he shows her the crystal, she gets a flash of deja-vu. Lex also makes a remark about it being a kind of reunion. In the movie, you don't get the sense that Lois is starting to recall the lovemaking events in the Fortress, but when she whispers to Superman in the hospital, clearly that's what she is saying. Superman had to have heard it from her even though he was apparently unconscious, because he didn't see Jason throw the piano at Brutus nor did he know that he had supervision.....

The sequel, assuming that there will be one, is going to be very tricky business. Does Clark come clean like he did in the comics, because it's obvious that Jason knows that they are one and the same, and he will see him at the Planet all the time. Do we kill Richard off rather than have Lois break it off with him? He was the real hero of the movie. Perhaps they can bring in Chloe Sullivan from Smallville and have him date her to get over Lois. Once he finds out that Jason isn't his son, what will he do??

Wow...you could go in so many directions...good luck to the writers of the sequel....
YIKES!

Chris

"Together we are stronger than each of us is apart"
T
Tzigone Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
T
I'm curious as to how much time the sequel will skip - that kid is going to age more obviously than adults.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard