Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
I've always been fascinated with personalities and the different systems of organizing and referring to them. One of those is often called the MBTI - Myers-Briggs Typology Identification (there's also Keirsey, but that can be complicated . I'm curious to see if there are any patterns of personalities (high numbers of certain types) in FoLCdom. Using this test , what MBTI type do you get, and what numbers for each of the letters?

If you are extremely close to 0 in one of the letters (getting 1, for instance), it's possible that you might actually be the other type. The letters are E/I, S/N, T/F, J/P. If one of those is particularly low, try looking at a profile of one of the others.

Here are some sites with good profiles:

Typelogic
Bellarmine University (among other places, but this was easiest to link to)
Keirsey
The last one is difficult to get to without paying for. Either this thread , which has all but three of the personalities on it (ENTJ, ESFJ, and ENFJ), or go to this directory : the letters are in order, A/B each, E/I, S/N, T/F, and J/P. Hence, aaaa is ESTP, aaba is ESFP . . . you get the picture.

I am aware that some of you will not take this at all. To this I have a quote: "Those who consider the questionnaire bunk and are vocal about it, who don't have a vested interest, are very frequently of a particular type. (If you know temperament, you will know which one.)" I suspect that type will not show up very strongly on here because they won't take it. So if you won't take the test, feel free to tell me that and why.

Don't point. You make holes in the air and the faeries escape.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I've taken MBTI and other similar tests recently as part of my studies for a professional qualification in employment counselling. It's probably partly a cultural thing - these tests are not as common in the UK and Ireland - but I have very little time for them.

Why? Because they pigeonhole people. Because the questions make you choose between options where perhaps neither option is applicable. Or perhaps both is. Or perhaps it depends on circumstances. Because I think the tests are unreliable - I've taken MBTI three times in the past six months, answered as honestly as I could all three times, and come out with different responses each time.

And because I hate pigeonholing people. wink

I'm an individual, not a type, and I hope that when I start counselling people as my job I will take that attitude with every client I have. I won't try to fit them into boxes. I'll look at them as fully-rounded individuals, starting from them and not from a four-letter code.

Just MHO goofy

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Columnist
Columnist
I got ISFJ - 22,62,62,11

I have no idea what this all means, but I'll be reading more about it.

Irene

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Smooth, I got ENFJ again. I took a similar test two years ago and got the same results. I got a 1 for the E, so I checked out the INFJ as well.

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
Here's what I got

ENFJ
67 25 25 11

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
Blogger
Blogger
I'm ISFJ with the numbers:

44 50 62 33

I read the description, and it's rather accurate. A few things don't fit my personality, but overall it's correct. Pretty cool!

Wash: Everything looks good from here...Yes. Yes, this is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... "This Land." I think we should call it "your grave!" Ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal! Ha ha HA! Mine is an evil laugh! Now die!
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, I ended up ISFJ 78 5 50 11. Which told me basically what I already knew - I'm fairly introverted.

Strangely enough, I behave differently in and out of an online situation. I'm much more introverted in the real world and much less so here on the WWW. I wonder if that difference applies to others and whether it makes for an interesting skewing of the data.

I think I scored lower on feelings and judgement than I am in reality.

I have some sympathy btw with Wendy's pov. I took this test in the spirit of it being a bit of fun. But I would loathe to have it used to determine anything in my life - whether I got a particular job for example. I don't believe tests such as these have any value in such a real life situation. The options aren't broad enough to accurately 'mark' someone for what they are imo.

Because the questions make you choose between options where perhaps neither option is applicable. Or perhaps both is. Or perhaps it depends on circumstances.
Exactly.

But as a piece of amusement, it was fun to try. I tend to put it in the same bracket as astrology though when it comes to scientific value. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Top Banana
Top Banana
It's always fun to do these things, but like Wendy and Rat, I have my doubts as to their practical application. Anyway, for the record, I got:

E(1) N(62) F(25) J(100)

Does this mean I'm 100% judgemental? What a horrible person I must be! laugh

Yvonne

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Labby - there's a whole body of research and thought about the 'cyber-self'....

I'd love to tell you more, but I can't. I'm more of an activist/pragmantist than a reflector/theorist http://www.campaign-for-learning.org.uk/aboutyourlearning/whatlearning.htm , and I accidently ended up studying in a philiosophy department. Which didn't suit me at all wink But several people there were working on this idea of a cyber-self, but since they were philosophers and more reflectors and theorists than I was, they couldn't really explain it to me in a way I could get my head around... (which happened a lot there... smile )

I now work for an organisation that loves models and theories and loves to make me do tests. But I think they have begun to realise that it's a waste of their time and mine, since I ignore whatever it is that it is telling me I am and get on with being me anyway.

Oh, and I'm a mixture of a kinesthetic and visual learner, a plant and an monitor evaluator ( http://www.belbin.com/belbin-team-roles.htm ) and IIFJ 11 62 38 44.

But that might change...

Helga

(P.S. I'm back!)

Knowledge is knowing that tomatoes are a fruit.

Intelligence is not putting them in a fruit salad.
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Lol, Y! As for this, I mean it more for the fun of just seeing what you get. I don't think this test is the best of the ones out there, but it is easy to take and fairly short, and best of all, *free*. (g) And besides, it's fun to see crazy sites like this . I'm apparently a Conspiracy Theorist. laugh

This FAQ specifically states that this shouldn't be used for pigeonholing, and I personally just find it a fun way to try to understand a bit more of myself (to describe, not prescribe). It's a good way to get a conversation going on behaviors and patterns, anyway. I find the Enneagram to be more individual-oriented and less boxing-in (the new test on that site is much more flexible than Yes or No), but that also makes it hard to look at group numbers, which have been very interesting. I can't go into any scientific hypotheses or anything, but so far I've got 17 replies from FoLCs, and all but 3 have been introverted. Am I surprised? Not really. But it's nice to see confirmation of that private theory. Thanks for doing this! smile

Don't point. You make holes in the air and the faeries escape.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I haven't taken it recently, but I've taken the MBTI twice and the Keirsey-Bates probably 3 times over the past 15+ years, and I always end up the same. I may move closer to the middle at times and closer to the extremes at other times, but my configuration always comes up INFP, and the NP is always very strong rather than slight.

Like most of you, I'm an introvert, but I also notice that I'm the first P on the thread. <sigh> I could have happily re-edited my story for the DVD fundraiser for several more months--and still made several frantic changes after I sent it in. "Finished" is not in my vocabulary. wink

I tend to use the MBTI to help me come up with basic personality types when I'm working with original characters. At home and work, I use it to help me deal with people who have the opposite traits from me. It serves as a good reminder that all personality traits are valuable, not just mine wink , that many people see things from an entirely different perspective than I do, and that even people who are anal about rules and deadlines have their place, too. wink

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
ISTJ, 44, 12, 38, 78.

I've had much the same results before. I think raising kids has increased my "judging" over the years.

Saffron

Femme fatale with a hopelessly romantic heart!
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I got I (78) S (50) T (25) J (11). I've taken these tests before; usually I come out with INTJ. I think I'm mellowing in my old age wink

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Originally posted by Doranwen:
And besides, it's fun to see crazy sites like this . I'm apparently a Conspiracy Theorist. laugh
Great! I'm a Crackpot!!

Originally posted by Doranwen:
I can't go into any scientific hypotheses or anything, but so far I've got 17 replies from FoLCs, and all but 3 have been introverted. Am I surprised? Not really.
Nice to see I'm in the majority...

I scored:

Introverted 67
Sensing 62
Feeling 62
Perceiving 11

Anne >^,,^<

"I only know how to make four things, and this is the only one without chocolate." Lois Lane "All My I've Got a Crush on You 10/24/1993
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Hey, another "P"! The scale was tipped so far in the other direction that I wondered if being a J (i.e. Truth, Justice, etc.) was a requirement for this fandom. wink

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
ENTJ. Apparently I am an evil overlord who wants to crush the world beneath her boot.

I'll admit to having leadership inclinations, but I'd rather read than control the world. It's true that I am very extroverted. However, like Wendy, I have taken this test numerous times and can manipulate it to get the answers I want. I tried not to but probably did anyway. Must be the evil overlord in me.

I do feel the following quote from Keirsey is somewhat applicable:

In some cases, Fieldmarshals simply find themselves in charge of groups, and are mystified as to how this happened.
That's me. Always leading and always mystified as to why.

**~~**

Swoosh --->
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I just took this test a few months ago and, while I can't find the stupid printout, IIRC I'm an INTP.

Tara

Rose: You're NOT keeping the horse!
Doctor Who: I let you keep Mickey, now lets go!
Doctor Who, The Girl in the Fireplace
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
ISTJ 67 62 50 67

However, in the past I've taken these tests and gotten various results, most often INTJ... I think the only real definite is that I'm a severe introvert smile

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
We did this as part of our writing retreat last fall. I'm an ISTP and out of a group of about 25 people, I was the ONLY "S" in the group, which is probably why I have such a difficult time writing creatively and find non-fiction so much easier.

Marilyn
Check out our blog at www.writingplayground.blogspot.com
Merriwether
Merriwether
Your Type is
INFJ
Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging
Strength of the preferences %
78 12 38 33

INFJ type description by D.Keirsey
INFJ type description by J. Butt and M.M. Heiss

Qualitative analysis of your type formula
You are:
very expressed introvert
slightly expressed intuitive personality
moderately expressed feeling personality
moderately expressed judging personality

I guess that means I'm boring.

I had a hard time answering the questions. Man, I remember studying these things and I always felt so much pressure as I could never answer the questions! I could go either way on many. it depends on how I feel or how confident I am that day. I can be different from day to day I've been told. Also, I am just a confused individual.

Well I tried my best...I yelled for my husband's help a few times....

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard