Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#206552 03/21/06 09:16 AM
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Hey all..

I am going to Paris tonight. I will stay only for 2 days... 22&23 but I dont speak a word of French. If anyone is there, can you please give a folc a hand? laugh

See ya!

MDL.

"Work while you have the light. You are responsible for the talent that has been entrusted to you."
#206553 03/21/06 11:09 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hey Erica smile

I'm quite a way away from Paris, so I can't help you there. Plus you're already there, I suppose, so you won't see this message until you're back.

But in any case, don't worry. Most people you'll need to speak to can mangle a few words in English. As long as you decipher their words through the thick accent, you should be fine. wink

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
#206554 04/13/06 07:55 AM
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Hey Merci bocou!!!

I've enjoyed my 2 days in paris and i shall have pictures from there and from brazil in a couple of days.

Thank you for the tip H !!!

I loved it!

MDL.

"Work while you have the light. You are responsible for the talent that has been entrusted to you."
#206555 04/13/06 08:49 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Just poking my nose in for a second. When I went to Paris about 8 years ago, people actually warned me that some Parisians might not be that friendly. Au contraire (hehe), I had the best time there, and everyone I ran into was so helpful since I only speak a little French.

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#206556 04/15/06 06:38 PM
A
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
A
Having been with my parents and by myself, my experience with just about anywhere I've been is simple.

In the US, if someone walks up to you and starts speaking a foreign language, the average American would be somewhat off-put. If they say in mostly-understandable English, "I'm sorry, my English isn't very good. Do you speak ______?" most people will do their best to accomodate, whether or not they speak the language in question.

I've made sure, when going to a foreign country, that I know how to say some form of "Excuse me, I don't speak ______ -- do you speak French or English?" in the local tongue. I've also found that by putting French first, I less often get the "stupid American" treatment.

Come to think of it, I'll be in Barcelona this time next week. laugh Anyone care to teach me that sentence in Spanish?

#206557 04/15/06 09:30 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Ok, I'm not sure this would be totally helpful (as I don't exactly speak Spanish - I speak Portuguese), but there is a list of "helpful" phrases in Spanish in the following link
http://www.isla-mujeres.net/basicsptext.htm
that you might want to consider taking with you. The only thing is that I'm not sure if it's understandable how to say the words. Maybe a true Spanish speaking person is able to help you better.

Found a website that gives some audio links to sentences. Maybe you can listen and see how some words are pronounced.
http://www.quiz-buddy.com/Spanish_Phrases_with_Audio.html

Another one:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Thebes/6177/ws-pronun.html

A cool one:
http://www.fodors.com/language/
Go to the bottom of the page, select "Spanish" and the type of sentences you want to hear (useful expressions, dining out, etc.)

malu wave

P.S.: I *think* that what you would want to say is
"Perdón, no hablo espanol -- Habla usted francés o inglés?" (Can anybody check this and help with pronunciation?)

#206558 04/16/06 09:24 AM
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
i am not a master in spanish...

but i think it would be -

''Perdon, jo no hablo espanol. Usted Habla frances o ingles?

Thank you be 'gracias'

Where is 'donde es el/la'' depending on the gender of the places name.

anything else.. just let us know

MDL laugh

#206559 04/16/06 05:26 PM
A
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
A
Thanks! If I'm close enough to be understood, that's all that matters. I'm sure someone will update me if I get the words out of order or something.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard