Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#206490 03/13/06 06:28 AM
lynnm Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Okay, I'm calling on all of my non-US friends (mostly the UK folks) to help me out with some definitions. I've been rereading Harry Potter lately, and I'm finally breaking down to ask: what the heck is a pudding?

Let me clarify. Here in the US, 'pudding' is a desert, very creamy, usually coming in the flavors of chocolate, vanilla or butterscotch. Its closest cousin is a custard, although pudding isn't made with eggs. It's very smooth and sweet, dairy based, and definitely a non-nutritional treat - you eat it with a spoon, no need to chew. It looks like this:
[Linked Image]

Sometimes pudding can be made with bread in it, or we use it to make other deserts (banana 'Nilla Wafer desert is a personal favorite of mine!). No matter what, though, in the US, pudding is NEVER made with any sort of meat in it (at least to my knowledge and my definition of the word). The idea is actually rather revolting.

So, how do the rest of you define 'pudding'? I'd always taken it to be the UK general term for any kind of desert. Yet, as I understand it, Yorkshire Pudding has meat in it, which I don't consider desert material.

And while I'm here, can someone tell be what treacle is? Again, I'm thinking it must be some kind of desert.

And what, exactly, is a pastie? I know y'all don't even pronounce it the way we would. We would say PAY-stee (long a vowel sound) while you would go with PASS-tee. What is it, even? Do we have an equivalent? Here, a pastie is something a woman of ill-repute might use as part of her wardrobe!! Think Janet Jackson's Nipplegate Spectacle.

Thanks so much for any clarification. I just have to know what these people are eating. wink

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
#206491 03/13/06 08:28 AM
Kerth
Kerth
British puddings in general tend to be heavier than American - the classic British Christmas pudding includes dough, dried fruit, lard (basically fat) or butter, brandy, etc.

For Yorkshire pudding try http://www.britannia.com/cooking/recipes/yorkshirepudding.html which also has links to some other British foods.

It's basically a savoury accompaniment to meat, especially beef - it's generally crisp on top and rises as it's cooked, and somewhat rubbery underneath. You sometimes see hollow Yorkshire puddings with minced meat and vegetables inside, as an alternative to more conventional meat pies. If (like me) you're no good with pastry you can buy ready-made Yorkshire puddings, just heat them in the oven. They're very nice with (for example) caramelised onion inside.

Treacle is a form of syrup, made from concentrated sugar cane. I think that the American equivalent is molasses.

Pasties are basically things wrapped in crisp well-cooked dough - for example, a Cornish pastie is beef, onions, and potato, other variants use different meats, cheese, vegetables, etc. They're usually made in a sort of D shape like a small calzone.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#206492 03/13/06 09:22 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
It depends on whether you're using pudding as a specific or general term. There are all kinds of desserts which use pudding in the title - treacle pudding etc. But many UKers also use pudding as a general term to mean dessert - 'We had a pudding after our dinner' - and in that context it can mean anything from apple crumble to death by chocolate. wink

And, yes, the exception to the rule is Yorkshire pudding which is a doughy addition to meat and two veg. Used in the same way that you would use biscuits, I think. Usually with gravy.

You can see pictures of Yorkshire Puddings here from the Aunt Bessie's food range. Apparently, you can buy these in the US, too.

Treacle is a very dark, sticky syrup...and I see that Marcus has dealt with that and pasties already. laugh Yes, I think he's right that the US version of treacle is molasses.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#206493 03/13/06 11:15 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Yes, the Aunt Bessie's range was what I was thinking of - haven't tried any of the prefilled types, but the large empty one filled with caramelised onions (I use several different types of onion, plus a little garlic and maple syrup for added flavour) is VERY nice.

Marcus L. Rowland
#206494 03/13/06 11:44 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Yorkshire pudding isn't the only savoury pudding.

Haggis, in the words of the Scottish national bard, Rabbie Burns, is the:

"Great chieftain o' the puddin' race!"

Otherwise, I'm with Rat. Pudding, to me, is just another term for dessert. Steamed puddings are made in a pudding basin (shaped like a mixing bowl), and are usually a mixture of dried fruit, sugar, flour, fat, fruit peel, eggs or some variation thereon. The basin is covered with greaseproof paper, tied with string, and then to cook, you steam it - ie, put the basin in a pan of boiling water over the stove and boil for an hour or longer.

Yvonne

#206495 03/13/06 12:32 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Haggis, in the words of the Scottish national bard, Rabbie Burns, is the:

"Great chieftain o' the puddin' race!"
Yeah, Rabbie and I disagree on that one. <g> Somehow, I just can't think of haggis as a pudding. Although, I suppose...now that you mention it...it does come into the same group as black pudding, fruit pudding...being encased in a sausage-like skin.

Might have to reconsider that one. wink

LabRat smile (who used to adore fruit pudding in a fry-up for Sunday breakfast when she was a kid and before all those nutritionists spoiled things by saying it was all so unhealthy...)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
#206496 03/13/06 01:09 PM
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Sorry for this slight departure, but also after reading HP, I still can't quite figure out the pronunciation of Whinging, as in the town of Little Whinging.

Is that Win-jing or Wing-ing?

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
#206497 03/13/06 01:52 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Nope, it's WH - IN - JING. The H isn't silent.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#206498 03/13/06 03:44 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I have to add in here, Lynn, that there are people in these United States who do eat pasties that have nothing to do with Janet Jackson's Superbowl display. smile

PAY-stee is what JJ needed and PASS-tee is the food. That's how it's said in Michigan where they are available. They're especially popular in the Upper Peninsula.

However, no treacle pudding (or treacle tarts)...or for that matter Yorkshire puddings. And then there's vegemite. Try explaining the appeal of that to someone.

**~~**

Swoosh --->
#206499 03/13/06 08:40 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by Wendymr:
Nope, it's WH - IN - JING. The H isn't silent.

Wendy smile
As in "Whine" - whinging is a slang term for whining.

Marcus L. Rowland
#206500 03/14/06 03:30 AM
lynnm Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Thank you all so much! What an education.

So...pasties are kind of like a tart. A dough filled with some kind of filling either sweet or savory, folded over and sealed, then baked. Half-circle in shape. Kind of like a perogie, then. Is the dough sweet and flakey (like a pie crust/tart) or more of a pasta (like a perogie)? And I imagine when it's cooked, the shell is crispy, like a pie crust?

I get treacle = molasses. Perfect!

And it sounds like 'pudding' encompasses a variety of items. That site with the pre-made Yorkshire puddings was interesting. They look like little pre-made dough-shells that you could fill with anything. I like that idea.

Next time we come to England, my quest will be to try as many 'puddings' as I can. I may have to give a pass to any of the ones involving blood as an ingredient (black pudding, blood pudding?) or that is cooked inside the entrails of an animal (haggis?). :shudder: My husband is very brave, so he can be our taste tester!

wink
Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
#206501 03/14/06 03:47 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
dough filled with some kind of filling either sweet or savory, folded over and sealed, then baked. Half-circle in shape. Kind of like a perogie, then. Is the dough sweet and flakey (like a pie crust/tart) or more of a pasta (like a perogie)?
Well, it's not dough at all; it's pastry. Pastry is made with flour, butter/margarine and water; dough is specifically for bread or pizza-base and will also have yeast or eggs and may not have butter, depending on what it's for. smile

The pastry for a pastie is flaky, but not sweet, because a pastie is savoury - the traditional Cornish pastie has chunks of beef, potatoes and some other vegetables.

Oh, and they're considerably larger than perogies. One pastie would be enough for lunch. smile In fact, that's how they originated - I believe it was Cornish tin-miners who were sent off to work with their 'dinner' in the form of a pastie.

Here's the Wikipedia entry on the subject - and I was right about the tin-miners! wink

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#206502 03/14/06 05:18 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The traditional Yorkshire pudding is actually just pastry and is capped off at the top, so no space to put anything inside it. It's more solid. I hadn't been aware of these new-fangled fill 'em with sausage versions until this thread. But then Yorkshire puddings of any kind were never part of my Sunday dinner growing up. So I'm definitely no expert on them.

With these new versions they seem to be trying to ape our traditional Scotch Pies. drool

Yes, black pudding is made with blood. I've never eaten any, always loathed it. Fruit pudding is a kind of doughy, suet version, with raisins and sultanas etc, which you slice up and fry with the usual fried breakfast ingrediants and that is delicious, I have to say.

As for haggis - I'd recommend giving it a go. I avoided it for decades because of its origins and then recently I was persuaded to try it by Stuart, who had been converted himself by a workmate cooking it for dinner at the fire station. And I have to say it's pretty dang tasty. Just like a spicy mince. Wonderful with mashed potatoes and turnips.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
#206503 03/14/06 08:53 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Boy, we're such a bunch of pedants when it comes to food definitions, aren't we? laugh

The traditional Yorkshire pudding is actually just pastry
It's not pastry, it's batter - it has a completely different texture to pastry. And before you ask what the difference is between pastry and batter, since they can both contain flour, fat, and even milk and eggs, I guess it's all in the balance between ingredients. Batter is runny, pastry isn't. smile

Never heard of fruit pudding, Rat, but it does sound awfully nice! Why are the best foods always the most unhealthy? It's not fair. frown

Yvonne

#206504 04/15/06 06:34 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Oh, I know this is an old old post, but I've been away for a while, and there's a few Yorkshire women deep in my past and they wouldn't let this one go. Please forgive me.

The small Yorkshire puddings you have with your Sunday roast are not how they eat Yorkshire's in Yorkshire. In Yorkshire they are the size of a dinner plate, and the rest of the meal is served inside them, covered (floating usually) in gravy.

And they are beautiful. laugh

That's all! You may resume your normal topics.

Helga

Knowledge is knowing that tomatoes are a fruit.

Intelligence is not putting them in a fruit salad.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard