Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#206206 02/05/06 06:05 AM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Came across this link in one of my online groups and wondered what FoLCs would think of it.

I personally think they should be *very very* careful experimenting with this sort of thing.

Don't point. You make holes in the air and the faeries escape.
#206207 02/05/06 06:49 AM
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
eek I'm not even sure how to respond to that. It's wrong in so many ways, regardless of the medical advances it could make. I mean... they want to give a mouse a human brain, and once they know it has human cognitive ability, *then* they want to test on it? That's... Wouldn't the creature be essentially human (not counting physical appearance) but without the physical capability to produce speech? If that's the case (and I'm no scientist), it's beyond cruel. *shakes head* I agree, Doran, there's a very precarious line they need to be careful about crossing.

Sara

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

#206208 02/05/06 07:30 AM
Kerth
Kerth
ICK! I had to read that this was from National Geographic several times, because I was sure it must have been from the National Whisper. confused This was fairly disturbing, particularly the line about a human being born to mice parents. I was envisioning the sci-fi nightmare that could come from a society like this. Usually, I say "anything goes" (Ted Kennedy is more conservative than I am!), but this was even too far for me. I certainly support medical research, but there need to be ethical guidelines in place before something like this goes too far.

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
#206209 02/05/06 09:27 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
I have great interest in Biotechnology - it's even among the subjects I'm studying for my summer finals. I still don't have clear opinions on what should and should not be done, but I'll share the thoughts this article brought me with you.

WARNING: Controversial material. If you are going to respond, please do it politely and keep in mind my final notes.

To tell you the truth, the fact that it's 'okay' to experiment on animals but 'wrong' to experiment on humans has always bugged me. Then again, the alternative would be to experiment on humans and animals alike, because, obviously, science can't go on without experiments. But what about a man's rights to life, freedom, respect etc.? I guess the only cases where experiments should be performed on humans are those where the man volunteers to act as a test-subject.

That said, the study of the human brain for both academic and practical/medical reasons is something generations of scientists have been trying to do. An interesting question to ponder is, 'Should we keep on trying to understand the human brain works? Or is it something unnecessary and/or unethical?'

About unnecessary: Sure, the human race survived for thousands of years without knowing how the human brain works, and it will continue to do so one way or another. Same can be told about the knowledge of life in the depth of the oceans, microbes and viruses and many other things.
The knowledge of those things was used for two purposes: a) satisfying our curiosity and providing answers (academic purposes), b) taking advantage of the knowledge in branches like industry and Medicine (practical purposes). While a) is undoubtedly a noble cause, it's a mostly intellectual approach 'we could do without'. On the other hand, b) has led to both positive and negative developments. And since we can survive without using those positive developments, it's better that we don't go on with experimenting, so that we can avoid the negative developments.
Right?

Well, I'm not so sure. I believe very much in the value of science and the knowledge it offers. The negative results of science advancements always come by the improper use of them - it's not the knowledge, it's what you choose to do with it. Should we put all scientific projects on hold until the human mind evolves enough to get over greed, hate, racism and all other similar feelings, so that we would only use the new developments wisely? Maybe. But I don't think that this can be done.

What about setting some limits, then? This can be done, if proved to be necessary. On the other hand, I'm pessimist enough to believe that if someone wants to conduct such experiments, they'll find a way, legal or not.

About unethical: The religious arguments of the nature of 'only God has the right to create life' don't really convince me. God creates life with the help of the humans (or other animals, respectively) involved. Whether this help comes 'traditionally' or with modern means makes no difference, I think.

The question (which brings us back to our original subject - apologies for sidetracking) is, where do those 'chimeras' stand? Are they humans, animals, or something in between? And how should they be treated?

Respectfully, is the short answer to that. While I haven't been involved in such experiments, I believe that the test-subjects in general (both humans and animals) get a fairly good treatment. Plus, they sacrifice for the greater good, (whatever satisfaction this could bring to the animals). No torturing is a rule that must be followed by all means.

That doesn't cover all bases, though. What about a mouse with a human mind? Assuming it has the mental abilities of a human, it should have all the rights we attribute to humans. On the other hand, a mouse lives up to two years maximum, so it would be logical to assume that its mental abilities won't reach further than a two-year-old human's.

So, what we essentially have is a two-year-old (tops) human mind trapped in a mouse body. And while killing mice, even newborn ones, for experimental purposes is common and generally accepted, the thought of killing human babies for the same reason would result to anyone involved imprisoned in long sentences, even death sentence. (Most unfair, if you ask me. To the mice, I mean.) Therefore, we have to decide what to consider those chimeras - mice, or humans?

As cruel as it might make me sound, I say mice. The human mind in the chimera won't have the time to evolve anyway; the chimera wouldn't be much more evolved mentally than a baby mouse. Plus, if it's all right to kill an adult mouse that I'm sure has significant mental abilities, then sorry, but I fail to see why an immature human mind doomed to immaturity should be considered of highest importance than that.

Maybe we should stop making chimeras altogether? That would be a wise solution. But what about the study of the human brain? We either stop where we are, or experiment on humans. But how would you feel about scientists that use artificial methods to create humans (I won't even suggest experimenting on babies born 'the traditional way'), then experiment on them, dissect them like frogs, God knows what?

Stopping where we are looks like the less contoversial solution. But what about all the benefits we could have gained from the research? What about the academic and practical knowledge? Should we give up on it once and for all?

The scientist in me says 'no'. And those who find their inner scientist in agreement with me, will probably agree that compromising on using chimeras for those purposes looks reasonable enough.

This is where a rationalistic thought process of the subject led me. I'm not claiming to having found the answer to such a complex question, just offering you some views. Besides, I have taken liberties such as assuming that a human mind in another animal's body would mature the human way and others.

You can choose to agree or disagree with me; after all, I'm not even sure I agree with me. You are welcome to answer to the points I've made, just please don't do it while thinking of me as an irrational, uneducated, heartless person. Think of me as the devil's advocate, if you will.

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

P.S.: Please note that I'm not an obsessive zoophile like the ones who would rather shoo a fly out the window than kill it. I just feel that way about experimenting on animals.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#206210 02/05/06 12:50 PM
D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
I'm not sure why I feel like I have to respond, but I do.

I'd like to first point out the source of the information. National Geographic. While indeed, it's a reputable source, it is not, in the scientific community. Any science it carries is watered down for general consumption, so when they say:

And at Stanford University in California an experiment might be done later this year to create mice with human brains.
It is in fact, infinitely more complicated than that. Mice with human brains. Even having had some experience with this. Even having held a mouse that glows green in the palm of my hand, it boggles my mind. I'm sure it won't be a mouse with a "human" brain and "human" thoughts. Perhaps structurally the brain would be more similar, which, due to the shorter lifespan of mice makes studying disease much more efficient.

I'm sure, even if they wanted to, the scientists at Stanford *couldn't* grow a human brain in a mouse. Not a real, honest to goodness human brain. The environment for development would be wrong. So, while we may have something structurally similar, functionally... who knows?

So, as far as I'm concerned:

Wouldn't the creature be essentially human (not counting physical appearance) but without the physical capability to produce speech?
No.

No, the mouse wouldn't be human. I wont go into the philosophical side (after all, what is it that makes us human?), but the probability that the environment in the mouse embryo would be suitable to produce a functionally human brain?

I'm sure, *if* they manage to produce viable mice, they'll test them cognitively before they induce disease. Just to make sure the mice aren't flawed before. To establish a baseline. They'd know if they were "smart mice".

Now... ethics. Ethics, by nature, is a very controversial topic. I feel very strongly about certain points, being from a scientific background, but I'll do my best to stay polite.

To tell you the truth, the fact that it's 'okay' to experiment on animals but 'wrong' to experiment on humans has always bugged me.
Actually, we do experiment on humans. We have to before a drug or a product can be marketed. We do cognitive experiments and drug experiment and shock experiments. The ethic guidelines are more stringent on human experiments, but they do happen.

To the question Anna asked:

'Should we keep on trying to understand the human brain works? Or is it something unnecessary and/or unethical?'
Well... she went into a very detailed blow-by-blow of this, but I'll still add my 2 cents.

This is, as it happens, one of the areas I feel very strongly about. And, funnily enough, for the least scientific of reasons.

As far as I'm concerned, we don't do this for fun. We don't do this so we can prove to ourselves that we know everything. Usually, and with very few exceptions, we do these experiments to try and cure disease. To try and make the quality of life better. To try and understand what went wrong so we can make things right again.

If you can look at someone - the mother of a sick child, the husband of a dying woman, the child of a sick parent - if you can look at them and say "I'm sorry, we're not going to try anymore..."

I couldn't. I can't. And that's why I support research. On animals. On humans. On eggplants. These aren't done for fun, they're done because somewhere, someone needs them to be done.

The question (which brings us back to our original subject - apologies for sidetracking) is, where do those 'chimeras' stand? Are they humans, animals, or something in between? And how should they be treated?
First of all, as far as I'm concerned, they aren't human. To be considered human... most of them are simply mice with human genes or bacteria that produce human hormones or pigs with human hearts... They're not human, they simply have human parts. And, of course, all animals are treated with the utmost care. For those pessimistic to believe scientists wont follow the guidelines laid out by ethics committees, you must at least believe they wouldn't want their results tainted by the ill health or poor nutrition of test animals.

And finally, creating chimeras isn't a "new" science. It's not something we've only just started doing. It's been done for years. As the article mentioned, we've been using bacteria to grow human hormones like growth hormone and insulin. We've been mixing donkeys and horses to create mules. We've been crossbreeding dogs and cats. We've been tampering with nature for a long time. Now, we're just doing it on a cleaner level.

Dave

'I just kind of died for you;
You just kind of stared at me'
- Aurora, Foo Fighters

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard