Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#205521 12/23/05 11:31 AM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
OK, Sileas, this one's for you. Since I don't want to hijack the other thread by going into *my* favorites . . . And anyone else who has heard Anúna, please join in! I want to hear what people think.

The first album I ever heard was the original Anúna. And to some degree, that one and Invocation (gotten from the library at the same time) are still my favorites, though Cynara has really crept up.

My first favorite song was Sanctus, I remember. The voices were so lovely, wafting in and out of the rafters, it sounded like. I absolutely loved the echo part. Also, on that album, is Jerusalem. I even went and dug up the words, as far as I could find them. I *love* how the voices echo on top of each other again and again till it's one big mass of *sound*, beautiful sound that carries me away with it. Then there's Silent, O Moyle, with the lonely words (by Thomas Moore, no less!) and even lonelier melody. And Crist & St. Marie--I actually sent an e-mail to Michael McGlynn asking for the Old English words they sang--and got a reply. laugh (This was before I discovered the Celtic Lyrics Corner and the delightful huge list of goodies/lyrics therein.)

On Invocation, I love so many too . . . Sleepsong, for it's quiet dreaminess and lovely lyrics. Winter, Fire and Snow for its stark simplistic beauty--I've caught myself singing it now and then. Under the Greenwood for the second part--the melody worms its way into my mind until I can't pry it loose. Heia Viri for its strength and neatness of the contrast of the female solo against the men below--it always makes me bounce my head around as the music winds itself in circles. Song of Oisín is just plain catchy--I love how the "ho ro's" seem to weave their way in and out of the melody. Wind on Sea is also neat--I really love the (for lack of a better word) eerieness of the melody with the words which are so reminiscent of the speeches made by early bards like Taliesin.

And I'll stop there for now. Anyone else? smile

Don't point. You make holes in the air and the faeries escape.
#205522 12/23/05 01:20 PM
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
i'm here! i'm here! smile1 I'm here! smile1

eeee!

you have the words for jerusalem? i'd like to know those! I have an axe for all those who don't print lyrics in the cd booklet.... smile1 and....went wild on oxford street. or...what's the name of the tourist shopping trap street? something. virgin, the store. of course. I bought, like, six! blush and this was in the uk, so what woulda cost $16 now cost about $30, with the exchange rate. o my goodness.

have to strongly recommend behind the closed eye. I saw it on line and was a bit lukewarm toward it, but it was one of the six I bought in england, and it's now one of my fav'rits. golly. I don't think they've toured in the U.S. yet, but if they come to my state, I'm gettin' in my car! fabulous. (of course, they wouldn't be doing any of the ones from behind the closed eye on tour, 'cause they would also have to have a small orchestra with them!). but boy.... august, and anything female will be licking the speakers. aisling is so pretty. the great wood, as I said, is perfect boogy music! it sounds like it was SOOOO much fun to record, really! From Nowhere to Nowhere, just one instrument, and you wouldn't think it would be so interesting and deep, but it is. Annaghdown and the story it tells is gorgeous and sad. Ceann Dubh Dilis--sometimes the sound of the music is so in contrast to the story of the words. you wouldn't think the music would sound like that if you saw the words, but boy....them boys! ave maria is gorgeous, too--thanks to the natural alto of Miriam blennerhasset. boy, have they got a treasure there. amazing. Gathering Mushrooms! ".... her health was fair, I do declare, she had neither a hat nor a feather on"! shock once again, though, beautiful! of course! the rest of the album I feel is a bit more introspective, even the positively rowdy pieces like The Coming of Winter, and the last two pieces..... Where All Roses Go, and 1901. sounds like the last two pieces in a soundtrack for a sad movie, but not lackluster by any stretch.

it's kind of gotten to the point where i've started to dislike the last piece on all of their albums because it means it's over!

i shall shut up now....for the moment..... laugh

#205523 12/23/05 03:48 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I like very much.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard