Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I guess this post will contain spoilers for the movie, but seeing that the book's been out for about fifty years now, I suppose I won't worry too much about it laugh

Kelley & I finally got to see the movie tonight, and my first reaction is that I *loved* it. There were changes from the book, and minor additions to it, but they all made sense and didn't change the spirit of the story.

Besides seeing the movie for my own pleasure, I was pre-screening it to see if I could take my kids to it. And I think I can -- there are some high-tension moments and deaths, but nothing bloody at all.

Actually, I was a bit disappointed in Peter -- he seemed a bit wimpier than I'd expected, somehow. But that's a minor point, and he certainly finished well. The dynamic between the siblings was excellent, and all the actors were very good.

I may just go back tomorrow and see it again. You know, just to show it to the kids wink

PJ
who finally has *some* clue of what Turkish Delight is! goofy

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh my god, it was amazing. But you know what? :p We went to a matinee and I had to leave for work towards the end to close the store tonight. I have absolutely no idea how it ends! I'll definitely pick up the book and read it now...but does some one want to tell me what happens after...

Peter and the witch are sword fighting in battle when the lion comes up on the big hill and starts to roar, announcing his return.

And then...?

Thanks goofy
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I only realised this week that Mr. Beaver is voiced by Ray Winstone. Yet another reason for being keen to see this one. Been a big RW fan, since Robin of Sherwood. smile1

As I'll never get to see this until it comes out on DVD (the story of my life with movies these days), more spoilers, please. <G>

There were changes from the book, and minor additions to it, but they all made sense and didn't change the spirit of the story.
My main worry was that they would downplay Aslan's death and resurrection. For me, that's always been the spiritual and dramatic climax/heart of the whole book - not the battle at the end. But I'd read a couple of reviews that suggested they'd reversed that (and another couple that said they didn't goofy ). What did you think, Pam?

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Oh my goodness! I am as pumped to see this movie as I was to see the Lord of the Rings trilogy, except I am planning to take the kids with me over the christmas holiday. We've been reading the books, I never read them as a kid but I am loving them as an adult with my kids! After I see it, I am sure I will have more to comment.

Marcy

(Elrond's blessing at the departure of the company from Rivendell)

"Farewell, and may the blessing of Elves and Men and all Free Folk go with you.
May the stars shine upon your faces!"
-Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien
Kerth
Kerth
I have absolutely no idea how it ends!
The C.S. Lewis Foundation is located near the school that I teach at, and we got an actor to come out for an assembly two weeks ago to do a presentation on the book. He acted out a summary of the book in character and entranced hundreds of 6-8th graders (anyone that can get a room full of middle school kids silent and engaged is a miracle worker!). But he had the whole thing timed perfectly to end at the bell right before the climax of the book, and said that the kids would have to read the book to find out how it ends. They were outraged! smile We had raised enough money to buy every student a copy of the book. By the end of school, I already saw kids reading (another miracle for middle school kids!).

But it means that I don't know how it ends, either! My mom's babysitting our son tomorrow night so my husband and I can have dinner and a movie...I guess I know what I'll have to go see. smile

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
But he had the whole thing timed perfectly to end at the bell right before the climax of the book, and said that the kids would have to read the book to find out how it ends. They were outraged! [Smile]
LOL! What a wonderful way to hook kids into reading! Well done, that man!

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Let's see... after Aslan returns to the battlefield, it's a pretty short fight. It's implied though not shown that he personally kills the witch.

Then we see Edmund, struggling for breath after the witch ran him through... his siblings rush up, Lucy gives him one drop of her Christmas cordial, and he gets all better. She goes on to treat others of the wounded, while Aslan is un-freezing the ones who were turned to statues.

Then we skip to Cair Paravel, where the four are crowned -- Queen Lucy the Valiant, King Edmund the Just, Queen Susan the Gentle, and King Peter the Magnificent. After the coronation, Aslan wanders off, and Tumnus tells Lucy you can never tell where he'll turn up -- he's not a *tame* lion, you know.

Next we see four people on horseback chasing a deer (the White Stag, though they don't say so) and as we get closer, we realize it's the four kids, only all grown up (good casting, too) -- at least ten years have passed, possibly more. They see the lamppost and think it seems strangely familiar... and maybe they ought to go *this* way, and gosh, are those coats? Then the four tumble out of the wardrobe, turned back to children and only a moment after they'd left.

The Professor's there (I think he was the one whose footsteps they'd been running from when they first went *in* the wardrobe) and asks to hear about it. Credits start at this point, but *don't* get up, because they sneak another scene in, with the Professor telling Lucy that she may get back to Narnia someday, but it won't be through the wardrobe. It'll just happen when she's not looking for it.

The End. smile

Until the sequel, anyway <g>

Labby, they kept the death and resurrection as central to the story. I was glad to see that, too. There was a little less dialog from Lucy & Susan, but they kept the essence of it. It's implied they cried all night, then by about sunrise, figured they'd have to go... just as they start down the stairs there's a tremendous noise from behind them, and when they look back, the table's broken and Aslan's nowhere to be seen. He reappears, with the rising sun, and tells them there's a deeper magic than the witch realized, etc.

There was a lot more of the battle shown than in the book, which basically skipped past the whole thing, but it was done well.

One thing I'd like to check if I can find my copy (I've got the other six, just can't locate this one :rolleyes: ) -- Peter has flying, um, creatures (griffins?) fly over the enemy army and drop rocks on them -- just like the Nazis were doing over London at the opening of the film. I thought that was cool, if they added it.

There wasn't any gore and *all* the scenery was beautiful. I am definitely going to see this again, as early as I can smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Then the four tumble out of the wardrobe, turned back to children and only a moment after they'd left.
You know, that was always the bit that really freaked me out reading the books. goofy How tough must it be to live ten years, growing up, becoming an adult - Lucy, in the book, IIRC, was on the verge of being betrothed. Or, at least, had several suitors after her.

Then...bam. Suddenly, you're back to being a kid. No more ruling a nation, no more making your own decisions, being your own person. Back to having your life dictated to by adults. Back to school, for heaven's sake!

And then, worse! Even more cruel! Instead of losing the memory when you come back through the wardrobe and turn back into a child - you remember the other, adult life.

How mean is that?

whinging )

The Musketeers
A
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
A
Then...bam. Suddenly, you're back to being a kid. No more ruling a nation, no more making your own decisions, being your own person. Back to having your life dictated to by adults. Back to school, for heaven's sake!

And then, worse! Even more cruel! Instead of losing the memory when you come back through the wardrobe and turn back into a child - you remember the other, adult life.

How mean is that?
And worse yet, when NEXT they go into Narnia, they're still kids again!

Merriwether
Merriwether
And worse yet, when NEXT they go into Narnia, they're still kids again!
Ah, but once a King or Queen in Narnia, always a King or Queen in Narnia. laugh

I have to agree, this movie was absolutely wonderful. The visuals, the touches they added, the translation from word to screen.

Aslan killing the Witch bothered me slightly. In the book, she ran off into the woods, never to be seen in the Overworld again. How does that one change mess up The Silver Chair? confused

I can't wait for it to come on DVD. It will definitely be added to my collection. It took a few hours for my euphoria to disipate after the movie, I loved it so much. laugh

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Kerth
Kerth
I went to see the movie last night. I thought it was really good, with excellent visual effects.

That's the part that creeped me out, though. I would not want to live a life into adulthood, then go back to being a child again!

If you read my earlier post about the assembly we had at our school, I immediately recognized the actor who came out when I saw him on screen. It was the guy that played Mr. Tumness. I'm not sure if the principal even knew it was someone actually in the movie; if so, he never mentioned it to anyone!
Susan

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
T
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
T
Actually, and I just confimred it in the book, Aslan pounces the witch upon his arrival with the former stoned creatures. In the next chapter it says the witch was dead, so I always thought Aslan pounced and killed the witch, I mean that's the logical conclusion. Just like in the movie. The witch in the Silver Chair is a different one. I really enjoyed the movie and would like to see the 6 other books done as well.

I've never felt so accepted in all my life. These people look deep within my soul and assign me a number based on the order in which I joined.
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Am I the only person who didn't like the movie?

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, I'm bumping this back up because...incredible as it seems, I've just this minute finished watching the movie on DVD. Yup, it takes that long in this household to catch up with the good stuff. wink

Also...just this minute stopped mecry into my kleenex, so I could type.

I just adored it. Every minute of it. My worries never bore fruit. I thought that the balance between Aslan's sacrifice and the battle was just perfectly done. I thought the battle was terrific, actually. Was sobbing my little heart out throughout. laugh

The tone was just right and every addition just added to the magic of it all, rather than detracted from it. I loved the vein of humour running through it, too. And the animals looked so natural it was amazing.

The only disappointment for me was the actress playing the White Witch. Swinda Tilson (? Was that her name - don't have time to check) She just didn't seem that good an actress to me and didn't give me any sense of brooding menace or evil. She was a bit...well, I'll use Pam's word and say wimpy.

But that was it.

Roll on Prince Caspian, I say! Can't come soon enough for me.

LabRat smile (happy Narnia and Aslan fan)

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, I thought Tilda Swinton was very good as the Witch. My problem was the kid playing Lucy - she just wasn't Lucy to me. Even the second time I saw the film in a cinema she didn't feel right. Liam Neeson voicing Aslan was just perfect, though. And I just loved the beavers and Mr Tumnus and the good wolf. The actors playing the older children were excellent, too, even though we only got to see them for about five minutes.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Funnily enough, I was most impressed of all the kids by little Georgie Henley, even though she wasn't quite what I'd always imagined Lucy to be. For some reason I always imagined her as blonde, for a start.

I should probably amend my last post though. I did like the witch in the last part of the movie - during the battle - and she certainly looked the part throughout. But in the early scenes - with Edmond on the sleigh, in the dungeon with Edmond and Tumnus - she just didn't exude any menace for me. But that may have been down to a conscious directing choice - I listened to the disk commentary and apparently she and the director decided she should be less traditionally 'cold and menacing' as she should be indifferent. I think it was a mistake myself. For me indifferent just translated on screen to not very scary.

I, too, thought the older children were perfect. They just had that medieval look about them. Apparently - from the commentary again - the girl playing the older Lucy is in fact Georgie Henley's older sister, Rachael.

I don't remember a good wolf - do you mean the fox? I liked him. And I did like Maugrim - now he just ooozed menace. <G>

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Well, I loved it in the theatres, and am hoping within the next couple weeks to buy the DVD...My kids are begging, though they wouldn't have to for me to get this one. I thought it was well done, and I was excited to hear they've begun work on Prince Caspian. I can't wait to see them bring Reepicheep to life. He is such a great character.

Marcy

(Elrond's blessing at the departure of the company from Rivendell)

"Farewell, and may the blessing of Elves and Men and all Free Folk go with you.
May the stars shine upon your faces!"
-Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yeah, I definitely need to buy the DVD soon. I broke down and bought the book series today with a book store gift certificate.

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
One thing I'd like to check if I can find my copy (I've got the other six, just can't locate this one [Roll Eyes] ) -- Peter has flying, um, creatures (griffins?) fly over the enemy army and drop rocks on them -- just like the Nazis were doing over London at the opening of the film. I thought that was cool, if they added it.
You've probably listened to the commentary by now, Pam, but if not you were clever to spot this one. I didn't notice the connection at all. But in the commentary they do say that they did it specially to imply that Peter had gotten the idea for dropping the rocks on them from the bombing raids they'd escaped from, back in London. I agree, pretty cool, now that they've pointed it out.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Well, I got the DVD last week, for my birthday... haven't actually watched it yet, though <g> However, Michael's been spending hours listening to commentaries and watching the special features. I'll have to get around to watching it, if ever I have the time again...

Actually, this weekend would be a good time to watch it, with the Easter allegory in there...

And I'm always pleased to hear that I've been clever goofy

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard