Page 1 of 2 1 2
#205391 12/11/05 10:40 AM
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Inspired by Chris's rant , I'd like suggestions for the ultimate compilation of Christmas songs. So, what are your favourites? You can tell us why, too, if you like. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Well, I wanted some Christmas music to listen to in the car, so I grabbed 5 different Christmas CDs from the library. Some are compilations, some are specific artists. I was purposely picking CDs that had songs I like: "God Rest Ye, Merry Gentlemen," "Silent Night," "O Holy Night," etc. Anyway, I ended up really hating "Chicken Soup for the Soul Christmas" and a CD (forget the title) by Linda Eder--she seemed to have decided that "Silent Night" was too boring and it would be more interesting if she sang the words to a different tune. The one I'm enjoying the most is "Dream a Dream" from Charlotte Church--and I realize that many people either love her or hate her. But her rendition of "O Holy Night" is just so beautiful I could listen to it over and over.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Gosh, where do I start?

Actually, the trouble is, I never know the titles of things, so this may be a difficult list to create. Let's see...

"Chestnuts roasting by an open fire..." sung by Nat King Cole. I think perhaps it's called The Christmas Song, and I love it because it makes me feel all warm and Christmas-y inside.

"White Christmas" sung by Bing Crosby. Yeah, I know it's corny, it's sentimental, it's schmaltzy, but I like it!

"Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" Are you sensing a theme, yet?

There's another song about bells or sleigh bells that I like, but can't remember the tune or the lyrics. No, *not* Jingle Bells. Something boppier than that. Help?

Oh, and what about the worst Christmas song ever? For me, it's got to be:

"The Little Boy That Santa Claus Forgot" sung by Johnny Adams.

It's so blatantly sentimental, it's funny. wink

And don't get me started on favourite Christmas carols, or we'll be here all night. laugh

Yvonne

A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Artist-wise, I especially love Trans-Siberian Orchestra and Mannheim Steamroller, however my particular favorites that I've been listening to a lot lately:

Trans-Siberian Orchestra - Christmas Eve/Sarajevo
Mannheim Steamroller - Carol of the Bells
Mannheim Steamroller - Veni, Veni (O Come Emmanuel)
Mannheim Steamroller - Cantique de Noel
Amy Grant - Breath of Heaven
Amy Grant - Emmanuel, God With Us
David Lanz - O Come, O Come, Emmanuel

Song-wise: Carol of the Bells, O Come Emmanuel, Greensleeves, O Holy Night, We Three Kings...

You know, thinking about it... I seem to like all ones in minor keys, particularly the melancholy ones. Which seems to oppose the general spirit of the holiday. But, oh well. I think they're pretty :p

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Oooooooooo . . . I have quite a few.

Coventry Carol (by Sylvan Chorale, or Anúna)
The Wexford Carol (by Loreena McKennitt or Caroline Peyton)
Baloo, Lammy (though I don't know any really good versions of it--Caroline Peyton uses it in a medley that's lovely)
Fum, Fum, Fum (National Christian Choir does a pretty nice version of it, though I prefer different lyrics, and like the Spanish words just as well--the Catalan ones are also neat)
Ríu Ríu Chíu (by Waverly Consort especially--their rendition also has a lovely song called E la Don, Don, Verges Maria at the end that I've fallen in love with recently)
Gaudete (Anúna's version is quite nice)
What Child is This? (particularly love the instrumental version Greensleeves, by Gypsy Soul)
Veni, Veni Emmanuel aka O Come, O Come Emmanuel (by Heather Dale)
Es Ist Ein' Ros' aka Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming (only in German--by Heather Dale)
The Holly and the Ivy (by Heather Dale)
Patapan (by Barry and Beth Hall--*awesome* instrumental)
God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen (by Mark Davis on hammered dulcimer, or Loreena McKennitt, or Kildare, or David Nevue . . . I actually arranged this for an SATB round once--and no, it had nothing to do with the other SATB round version of it that is out there)
Let All That Are to Mirth Inclined (by Loreena McKennitt)
Balulalow (by Loreena McKennitt--*not* the Benjamin Britten version)
Taladh Chríosda aka The Christ Child's Lullaby (by Caroline Peyton or Anúna)
Schedryk (this is the Ukrainian original of what we know as Carol of the Bells--lovely-sounding words, though I couldn't tell you who the artist is for the version I have--I ripped it off a library cassette tape whose writing was *all* in Ukrainian)
Cherry Tree Carol (by Young Tradition with Shirley Collins)

Let's see, there are others that aren't so traditional, maybe. Though I'd say that a bunch of the above songs are rather rare.

This Little Babe (Benjamin Britten version)
Snow (by Loreena McKennitt)
The Wren in the Furze (by Chieftains)
Holy Child (by Steve Green)
We Will Find Him (by Michael Card)
Winter, Fire and Snow (by Anúna)

There are more, but I think I'll stop here. wink

Don't point. You make holes in the air and the faeries escape.
Features Writer
Features Writer
Usually I like what I like, so it's kind of hard to make a list...but I will say I love "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas," by the Pretenders. I fell in love with that version after seeing "Season Greedings" for the first time back in 1994. I can even listen to that song when it's not the holiday season. lol thumbsup

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Hmm - there are so many that I could list...

- anything on The Vince Guaraldi Trio's Charlie Brown Christmas

- there's a compilation called "A Classic Cartoon Christmas" that I would highly recommend - it has everything from The Grinch to the Muppets!

- and there's a Sarah MacLachlan/Barenaked Ladies version of God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman that I love!

Shells

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.

- Mahatma Gandhi
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
I'm love O Holy Night, O Little Town of Bethlehem and Once in Royal David's City. I have Elvis' Christmas album (yes I'll confess I love listening to the King) and I love his version of Here Comes Santa Claus and White Christmas he also does a beautiful version of Silent Night and a really sentimental song called Mama Likes the Roses it's a really sweet song though not entirely a carol.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
Merriwether
Merriwether
Favorite songs? You expect me to pick just a few? This my season! Happy, joyous season! When I started learning piano, I learned by picking up my stepmother's Reader's Digest Christmas Songbook. But I'll try...

-- Trans-Siberian Orchestra. I can't pick one song. I keep them in my playlist year round.
-- O Holy Night. I can't be completely in tune, but I still like it.
-- Adeste Fidelis/O Come All Ye Faithful. I like singing the latin words
-- Silent Night
-- The Night Santa Went Crazy. A bit off-beat, but I like Weird Al
-- Bing Crosby. Pretty much anything he sings. Okay, I happen to like his movies, too...
-- John Denver's A Christmas Together. This is really a Muppets Christmas album with John Denver
-- Chipmunks! Most of their christmas songs, anyway. There are a few I'm not too fond of.
-- Little Drummer Boy/Peace On Earth by Bing Crosby and David Bowie. It in itself is a lovely version
-- Frosty the Snowman. Did you know the little girl in cartoon is named Karen? laugh
-- I'll Be Home for Christmas
-- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day
-- Silver Bells
-- Silver and Gold
-- Hallelujah Chorus
-- Keep Christmas With You from the Sesame Street Christmas album. Because we *should* keep Christmas with us all through the year
-- Santa Claus Is Coming to Town by Bruce Springsteen
-- Feliz Navidad

And I could keep going, but the list is getting long.

The ones I'm not too fond of?
-- Most Wonderful Time of the Year. I found it annoying the first time I heard it on America's Funniest Videos (someone singing it backwards) and it's still annoying
-- Do They Know It's Christmas by Band Aid. I still sing along, but really, do they expect *everyone* in Africa to be christian? "And there won't be snow in Africa this Christmastime" and how often does it snow there, anyway?? In the areas that they're talking about.

Pam, I'm wondering if you're talking about Sleigh Ride. "Just hear those sleigh bells jingling, ring-ting-tingling too. Come on it's lovely weather for a sleigh ride together with you."

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Good choices, everyone! smile1

-- Do They Know It's Christmas by Band Aid. I still sing along, but really, do they expect *everyone* in Africa to be christian? "And there won't be snow in Africa this Christmastime" and how often does it snow there, anyway?? In the areas that they're talking about.
I'm not that fond of this one myself. But I don't think they were really talking about snow and Christmas in the literal sense. It was more to do with these concepts as elements of fun and happiness which we in the West are enjoying at this time of year - while others are less fortunate then ourselves. And that at this time of year, while we're indulging ourselves in rich food and expensive gifts, having sleigh-rides in the snow etc, we should spare a moment to think of them and how we can help make a time of year that's special and fun for us a time of year when they can live a little better with our help.

It's still a tad patronising, if you ask me. laugh But that was always the message I took from it, rather than it being literally about wishing Africa snow and the religious elements of the season.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Merriwether
Merriwether
Ah, good point, Labby. Normally that song doesn't bother me, but this year, it's started annoying me. I need to get back into that mindset, I guess. laugh

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
K
Last year I made myself a little Christmas compilation CD (I think I procrastinated quite a bit doing it <g>, and tonight I procrastinated even more!). I dug it out tonight and wrote down the list of songs and surprised myself a little wink . There are some on here I wouldn't have expected myself to put on there, and some I would have expected that aren't there. Guess that says how much your taste can change in a year wink

These aren't all "Christmas" songs; some of them are just holiday songs or things that make me think of Christmastime. Anyway, the list was:

1) Christmas Eve (Sarajevo 12/24) - Trans-Siberian Orchestra
2) What Are You Doing New Year's Eve? - The O'Jays
3) Medley: Alfie The Christmas Tree / Carol For A Christmas Tree / It's In Every One Of Us - John Denver and the Muppets (I Like It's in Every One Of Us, it sort of annoys me that it's attached to other songs I don't care for wink )
4) Christmas Jazz - Trans-Siberian Orchestra again. This is a peppy guitar version of Good King Wenceslas.
5) Little Saint Nick - Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem (with Animal yelling "Run, run, reindeer!" in the background wink )
6) Santa Claus is Coming To Town - Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
7) The Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don't Be Late) - The Chipmunks
8) Santa Baby - Madonna
9)The Peace Carol - John Denver and the Muppets again
10) Christmas Is Coming - The Muppets again
11) Happy Christmas (War is Over) - John Lennon
12) All I Want For Christmas Is You - Mariah Carey. It's just such a happy song!
13) A Star To Follow - TSO again
14) Jingle Bell Rock - Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem again
15) We Wish You A Merry Christmas - The Muppets
Gonzo: "Now bring us a figgy pudding..."
Miss Piggy: "Piggy pudding?!"
Gonzo: "No, figgy pudding. It's made with figs."
Miss Piggy: "Oh, sorry.
Gonzo (sotto voce): "...and bacon."
16) Mary, Did You Know? - The version here is by Clay Aiken; I heard this song in church and liked it, and his was the best commercial version I could find.
17) Feliz Navidad - Jose Feliciano
18) For The Sake Of Our Brother - TSO. This is mostly O Come All Ye Faithful.

Things I'd have expected to see on that list:
- Charlie Brown's Christmas song ("Christmas time is here...")
- The Jackson Five's Santa Claus Is Coming to Town, with a young Michael Jackson singing his little heart out. I probably decided I only needed one version of this song on any CD <g>.
- Jingle Bells, the version in the film Mixed Nuts. Not sure who that was by, which might be why I didn't put it on there...
- The Night Before Christmas, by Carly Simon
- The Bellevue Carol, from the remake of Miracle on 34th Street. Really hauntingly beautiful.

Yay, I managed to waste half an hour doing this wink It's been fun reading everyone's suggestions!

B
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
B
What? Nobody's mentioned the bestest Christmas song ever!

I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas!!!

Sorry, I know it's a cheesy kid song that some people find annoying, but I love it! I used it for my tiny tots dance class this year, so I've been hearing it since October, but the first time I heard it on the *radio*, I dropped everything to call my sister and tell her. laugh

And Kaylle, I haven't heard Clay Aiken's version of Mary, Did You Know? so I can't compare, but I have the *original* version by the guy who wrote it -- Mark Lowry. His is the best I've ever heard, by far.

Bethy (who won't go into a full list of her favorite songs write now, because she's *supposed* to be working angel-devil )

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it.
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
O Holy Night is my favorite of all time. I sang that as a solo for our church choir, years ago. Jingle Bell Rock -- Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem (love that version), Sleigh Ride, Silver Bells, Bing Crosby's White Christmas, We Three Kings, Joy to the World. Carol of the Bells -- and a lot more, but I tried to stick to my favorite favorites. I love Christmas songs, both religious and not.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Oh there's so many good ones already listed!

I, too, love the Barenaked Ladies/Sarah McLaughlin "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" as Shells said.

Also, Sarah McLaughlin's "Song for a Winter's Night" (not really Christmas, but very seasonal and beautiful!)

Britney Spears - "Santa, That's My Only Wish This Year"... I admit to finding that one fun and Christmas-y!! smile

The Jewel Holiday cd... I love her arrangements, especially "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" and her original "Face of Love" on it!

Judy Garland's "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas"

Randy Travis - "Jingle Bell Rock" (fun version!)

"O Holy Night" - any version (Tracy Chapman's is really nice!)

Blues Traveller - "Christmas"

Classics by Burl Ives, Brenda Lee and such, Charlie Brown Christmas(!!!!), the King's Blue Christmas album, The Nutcracker suite, Louis Armstrong's "Winter Wonderland"...

Oh, now I'm in the mood to put my Christmas mixes and albums in!!!

smile NICOLE~

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Okay, I'm a little bit late to this one, but since nobody has mentioned it yet...

Christmas isn't officially Christmas for me until I hear the original version of "Fairytale of New York" on the radio - the one with the Pogues/Shane McGowan (AFAIK the band members play the accompaniment) - and Kirsty McCall.

It's the first song I ever learned on the tin whistle, and I really, really, really, really love it. And yes, here's where I warn everybody with delicate sensibilities to give it a miss - the Irish aren't exactly saints when it comes to swearing, and this is a *very* Irish song wink

Just my tuppence worth smile

Sara.

Death: Easy, Bill. You'll give yourself a heart attack and ruin my vacation.

Meet Joe Black
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Oh wow, some of you go all the way with mentioning christmas favourites. My list won't be that long, but lets give it a try:

Trans-Atlantic Orchestra (Pretty much everything from this group is in my playlist/car-cd-station, my two favs are "An Angel Came Down" and "An Angel Returned" from their first published CD.)
Diana Krall - Christmas Songs (that's an entire album which was new in stores just a few days ago. I haven't ever heard of her but the CD was promoted as a different and 'swinging' Christmas music. Well, it doesn't help for a contemplative mood but I like the different styles she choose!)
Il Divo - Christmas Collection (As a casual listener of The Three Tenores, Il Divo is something very similar and a nice Christmas-alternative to Carreras, Domingo and Pavarotti. They do a great interpretation of Ave Maria.)
Ray Charles - The Spirit Of Christmas (Well, another more or less exotic style of music. That was the only available Christmas Jazz when I found this CD a few years back. "Baby It's Cold Outside" is hands down the best track on this one.)
Nana Mouskouri - The Christmas Album (On the first view nothing special but after hearing it twice it was like 'the best of both worlds'. While I don't like her usual style of music, here she offers a big variety of songs, also very local ones in their natural language. Nana sings not only in English but also tries successfully some German and French music. My hit was the little drummer boy on French "l'enfant au tambour".)

Well, so much for complete albums, now to single songs (no special order):

Eric Clapton - Christmas Tears (Nothing 'special' with this song, but I like him and I found this song on some Christmas Compilation)
Papermoon - On A Christmas Day (That's a special song for me, created and published in the mid-90's by Papermoon, an Austrian duo. When I hear this, I immediately think of a time in the past when I met my - now former - husband. Nevertheless something to dream!)
Jewel - Hands (Found the Christmas version of this song on some compilation and frankly I don't see that much difference to the original.)
Queen - Thank God It's Christmas (Something beautiful to remember Freddy Mercury by .. must not be forgotten and after 15 years it's still a yearly addition to my music.)
Jose Feliziano - Feliz Navidad (One of a few songs that are on a Christmas-CD for my car, very good wake-up/stay-awake music.)
Jona Lewie - Stop The Cavalry
Macy Gray - Winter Wonderland (The song's nothing special but I so love her voice.)
Ray Parker Jr. - Christmas Time Is Here (The car-cd strikes again.)
Sinead Oconnor - Silent Night (One of the few versions that are acceptable, most singers just don't get this song.)
Chris Rea - Driving Home For Christmas (If the song-title doesn't tell you yet .. it's for my car.)
Ronan Keating feat. Moira Brennan - Fairytale Of New York (Something from a Rock Christmas compilation, dunno where this is from originally so I stick with this one meanwhile.)
Luthor Vandross - Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas (Same Rock Christmas CD, this time someone with a great voice as well.)
Roomful Of Blues - Run, Rudolph, Run (Well, Blues was missing yet, what can I say? wink )

I believe that's all you're going to get out of me. There are about 100-150 songs missing but they're mainly from random compilations, which means covers of originals that went down the drain.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, I love so many Christmas songs... this year, I made myself a CD containing:

Point of Grace (A Christmas Story) -- some original songs and they do some great versions of classics, including Carol of the Bells

Manheim Steamroller

Amy Grant (her older Christmas album) When I first heard "Tender Tennessee Christmas" I was spending Christmases in Tennessee, so I've always liked that one, and then I love "Emmanuel/O Little Town"

Handel's Messiah -- "And the Glory" "For Unto Us" and, of course, "Hallelujah!" (although technically, that one's not about Christmas) I really crank those and sing along goofy although I'm out of practice on knowing my part!

There are lots of others, too ... Joy to the World, for one. Angels We Have Heard On High. Come Let Us Adore Him. Pretty much all the old hymns.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Merriwether
Merriwether
I can't really think of any....

My hubbie seems to not like Christmas songs, but he likes ones that are to a Celtic tune. he seems to like this one by the Chieftans - The Bells of Dublin.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Ooh, I've just been working on a compilation for myself! I find that I really like the more contemporary ones, but here's my list, oldies and all:

Santa Baby by Marilyn Monroe
-love her and the song is so much fun in a naughty way...and no one ever blames Marilyn for being greedy!
Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree
-the version from the Home Alone soundtrack!
My Grown Up Christmas List by Amy Grant or Kelly Clarkson
Last Christmas by George Michael
-okay, a little depressing, but the chorus is so catchy!
Jingle Bell Rock
-also from the Home Alone soundtrack, I think
It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas by The Chipmunks or Bing Crosby smile1

-Chriscy smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard