Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
www.kryptonsite.com

UPDATED RUMORS: Lois & Clark's Dean Cain To Appear?
POSTED 8-3-05; UPDATED 9-13-05

Ever since Smallville was first announced, there was one guest star that KryptonSite webmaster Craig wanted to see on the show more than any other - and that's former Superman/Clark Kent Dean Cain, who starred in Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman from 1993 to 1997. Unfortunately, The Powers That Be were pretty adamant in the early years to stay far away from the still-fresh-in-people's-minds former Superman TV series.

In the years that have passed, we've seen one former Superman - Christopher Reeve - but still, never any word of Dean appearing on the show. His L&C co-star, Teri Hatcher, went on to do some series about desperate housewives that we hear is pretty popular.

Back in July, E! Online's Watch With Kristin reported that Dean Cain was in talks to appear in a 3-episode story arc as a "prince who is in love with Lana." Fans rolled their eyes at the predictable plotline. A few weeks later, TV Guide Online's Ask Ausiello wais saying that there is a "75 percent chance" of the rumor being true, except that Dean's character will have Lois as a love interest.

Now we've had two more updates, but it could be a case of mistaken reporting: "Perry" reports that the TV Guide Channel has said on the air that Dean Cain would be appearing this season, but it could be a case of them just picking up on the Ausiello rumor and running with it.

But, even more curious... a WB affiliate website, WBNX.com, has posted this on their main page: "Smallville will soon launch its biggest season, with James Marsters as arch-villain “Brainiac,” plus guest-stars “Aquaman” and ex-Superman Dean Cain!"

UPDATE: We talked to executive producer Alfred Gough about the rumors. Here's what he said: "I will say there is a little truth to the Dean Cain rumors. We have spoken to Dean's people. We have not found a story yet that we want to put him in. I think if you're going to get somebody like Dean, you've got to make sure that the role is right, and that the episode is good. He is definitely someone we want on the show, and as soon as we find the right episode and the right character, we will move on it, and hopefully given his schedule, he'll be able to do it."

When The WB makes any announcement, of course, it'll be posted here...
I know there have been rumors and wonderings for as long as the show's been on... but this is a fairly recent article/update.

ok, ok... I know I've only been posting articles lately... oh well... been super busy. wink

-Breanna

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
You know, having Dean Cain in the Smallville show would be a great asset, as I've always liked him.

... but I gotta say, that a plot like "Dean in love with Lois" or "Dean in love with Lana" would be beyond ridiculous, no matter who he'd play on screen.

K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
K
Isn't Dean a bit old for Lana/Lois? Not that Smallville has ever gone with realism, but this strikes me as a little bit creepy... Pedophilia, anyone? Ick. I hope, for Dean's sake and ours, that that bit at least is false...

Kaylle

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I wouldn't particularly like to see Dean on Smallville because I find the show boring, but I felt the same way about Hope & Faith, and I didn't notice his asking my opinion on that one, either. wink

However, it wouldn't be pedophilia on any level, K. Dean and Erica are 12 years apart, which is certainly within the range for a screen romance, and Lois is old enough to be in her second year of college, so she's at least 19, which is sexually an adult in any court in the land. If Erica can be 27 and play 19, then Dean can get away with 30 or 31 pretty easily. After all, two friends of mine who saw him in person in 2003 were appalled because he looked like a kid--barely legal.

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/
Features Writer
Features Writer
I was going to say the same thing!

I'm the same age as Erica. (I turned 27 this past Monday.) I find nothing gross with the 12 year age limit. I used to have a thing for Dean...before I met my boyfriend and I found nothing ew about the age difference. lol goofy

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Well, it's one thing talking about an age-difference of 27-39 or doing it about the same 12 year gap between 19 and 31.

But I was actually more concerned about having an actor with such fond memories in Smallville, only to see him go to waste for some useless love-plot. There are already enough possibilities within the current cast, you don't need to invite special guests as well.

Features Writer
Features Writer
If they want to cast Dean, maybe they should focus more on Krypton. Make him a distant relative or even Jor-El in the flesh so to speak.

I thought I remember reading a while back that Dean wouldn't mind portraying the role of Jor-El in that show, but he doubted they'd ever ask him.

Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
I agree with you all that it would be nice to NOT have him thrown in there just as a short romantic arc...hopefully from this paragraph:
We have spoken to Dean's people. We have not found a story yet that we want to put him in. I think if you're going to get somebody like Dean, you've got to make sure that the role is right, and that the episode is good. He is definitely someone we want on the show, and as soon as we find the right episode and the right character, we will move on it, and hopefully given his schedule, he'll be able to do it."
they agree with us...

Merriwether
Merriwether
Well, it's one thing talking about an age-difference of 27-39 or doing it about the same 12 year gap between 19 and 31.
My mum-in-law was 18 and her husband was 28/29. That was over 30 years ago. It's funny b/c now they look the same age.

Dean looks to old to do anything with that age group on Smallville to me. The age thing though doen't bother me, but just the visual does.

I don't watch Smallville, but I'd watch it if he's in it! smile oooooooooooooh

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
Features Writer
Features Writer
Have Dean work at the Daily Planet as a reporter. Chloe could have a slight crush on him, but of course not act on it. wink lol

Top Banana
Top Banana
Well, sadly, given Millar and Gough's obsession with Lana, I have no hope that Dean won't be wasted on her. Naturally he'll have to have some kind of love/crush/obsession thing for Lana, because, well, who on Smallville doesn't?

Until a giant meteor lands on Lana and squishes her flat, I hope Dean says "Thanks, but don't call us, we'll call you."

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
Blogger
Blogger
OMG Lynn, you just made me laugh my head off. I especially love the line "naturally he'd have to have a love/crush/obsession thing for Lana, because who on Smallville doesn't"

I don't know if I'd like Dean to be on the show or not. No, because I wouldn't like to think he'd appear in a show that has totally trashed the Superman legend, yes, because I love Dean. Even though the movies he's in haven't been top dollars, I've enjoyed them. But I'd bet they would have him fall for Lana.

I think Lynn has hit the nail on the head. What she said was funny, but very true when it comes to Smallville.

Don't forget they had an episode where Jor-El came to earth and fell in love with a woman who was Lana's double, After all, they couldn't have him just come and scope out the planet he was going to send his son too, no, he HAD to fall in love with Lana's double too.

Merriwether
Merriwether
Until a giant meteor lands on Lana and squishes her flat, I hope Dean says "Thanks, but don't call us, we'll call you."
lol rotflol rotflol rotflol

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
Features Writer
Features Writer
Well, TPTB will have a couple of years to get "rid" of Lana. wink

Tom Welling was interviewed on a local news show here in the Seattle area this morning. He said Smallville will be around for the next couple of years. He also added that this year would be the most exciting. Thankfully, he mentioned Brainiac and Aquaman and not Lana hooking up with Clark! razz

<Who really gets annoyed when the news anchor says and they're speaking with "Superman" when Tom has NEVER played Superman! He's only Clark Kent at this point! Shows how much this guy watches the show or does his homework. dizzy >

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard