Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
The Astrodome is filled with evacuees from Hurricane Katrina. For the most part, these folks have nothing to do. I read today where the Red Cross will accept shipments of books to distribute amongst the folks there. I have a huge bag of books that I've been meaning to trade in at the used book store. I'm going to send them to Houston instead because I can't think of a better place for them.

HURRICANE EVACUEES
RELIANT ASTRODOME
c/o RED CROSS
2700 Southwest Freeway
Houston, TX 77098

Mark the boxes as "Books" or "Reading Material." They can be sent via Media Mail which is cheaper than regular mail.

Marilyn
Check out our blog at www.writingplayground.blogspot.com
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nice to see some good, practical ideas being suggested, Marilyn. The little details so often get overlooked in the grand scheme of things in situations like this, but they're still important and can make a difference.

Only wish I was in the US. My current 'charity bag' is full to overflowing and no one's been near our door with their plastic collection bags for months.

Still, can always hand it in myself to the local Oxfam - I hear they're currently one of the charities raising funds. So at least it will do some good at some point.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yes, that's an excellent idea! Aren't there several centres where refugees have been taken? Across Texas, northern Louisiana, parts of Alabama and Georgia and elsewhere? There may be a number of locations where books, toys, blankets and so on would be appreciated.

Thanks for the tip!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
This strays a bit from the original topic of this particular thread, but on the charity subject ... about 1,000 or more "refugees" as they are now being called are being housed in local barracks at an airport here near Nashville. More come everyday.

I work in a medical clinic here and we've already seen, and treated, several people from the New Orleans area who have lost everything. Just saw several families today in fact, it's very sobering and humbling to meet them personally and hear their hardships first hand. Many of them commented today, in tears, how grateful they are to everyone around here for being so generous and kind.

Anyway, back to the charity aspect ... the people at the airport are in desperate need of supplies, so pretty much everyone I know and have talked to has already begun to clear out their homes of anything they no longer use or can spare. It's so amazingly touching to see how, in these unthinkable times of crisis, people really do come together to try and bring some good out of a tragic situation. I, myself, have already gotten together 2 boxes of clothing and some other random items that might be of use. I urge anyone to do the same if you can, donating money is wonderful but sometimes other more tangible items help just as much, if not more. I think it's a wonderful idea to send books to the Astrodome! If you're close enough to any spot the victims may have relocated to, clothing, food, books, toiletries (sp?), and other items may be more useful in the immediate future than just cash. That's just the word we're getting here in Middle TN, and it seems that is the general word all around now. They are *begging* us for supplies, not money.

I can't imagine being in the position these folks are in, but it's comforting to know that if I ever am in their situation, there are people out there who will do whatever they can to help. The worst really can bring out the best in all of us, and while I know people all over the world have truly extended themselves to the victims of Katrina (and for that we are all eternally grateful), I honestly can't remember a time I've been more proud to be an American other than 9/11. I plan to do whatever I can to help, and I know that so many of you feel the same.

Sorry for straying a bit off topic, now back to your originally scheduled programming! wink

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." Chris Reeve

"Whatever comes our way, whatever battle we have raging inside us, we always have a choice. It's the choices that make us who we are, and we can always choose to do what's right." Peter Parker

DON'T DOUBT THE ROUTH
Blogger
Blogger
Thats a great idea, Marilyn. I am thinking of doin the same

K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
The Tucson Convention Center here in Arizona is getting 1000 refugees. I need to look into how to help. I've got plenty of books I don't need. And... Oh! Maybe I can ask the boss at work if it wouldn't be too much to ask to serve them an Olive Garden meal. goofy

Sara (who is proud of Tucson having offered to accept refugees)

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard