Print Thread
#204545 09/03/05 12:42 PM
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I came across this on the BBC news website. It's a fascinating map with voice recordings of all the different people in the UK, all the various accents. You just click on the area you want and you can listen in on a conversation with people in that area.

Thought it might be interesting for all you Americans who keep asking on irc how we pronounce this or that. <g> It's also fascinating for showing just how much variation in accent there is across the UK.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#204546 09/03/05 01:42 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hey, thanks for this, Rat! Weirdly, I was trying to rediscover the link to this project just this afternoon. The first time I found it I got very nostalgic (and maybe even a wee bit homesick) reading and listening to folk from my own part of Scotland.

Yvonne

#204547 09/04/05 02:01 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Thanks, Lab. This is so cool!

I'm always so intrigued by the vast variety of accents you find in the UK, especially given how small the area is relatively speaking. Of course, when you travel end to end in the US you find all kinds of accents.

I have a feeling I'm going to be busy for a good long while... wink

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
#204548 09/05/05 06:13 PM
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I thought you might find it interesting, Lynn. wink I was actually amazed at how many Scottish accents I can't understand a blind word of. goofy

Was a tad disappointed that the Glaswegian group chose to talk about how many words there were for someone who is drunk. :rolleyes: Talk about your sterotyped cliches. :p

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard