Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#204497 08/29/05 07:42 PM
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I've been watching the pictures on CNN of Katrina's aftermath around New Orleans, the Mississippi and Alabama gulf coast and other areas further inland, and hearing about tornados in the region and headed towards Georgia.

The devastation and destruction is just indescribable. frown AP's already talking about 55 deaths in the Mississippi coastal region, and that's just the start; by the look of the appalling flooding in the poorest New Orleans suburbs, that number will be matched and more. sad I simply can't find the words to express how sad, how terrible this is. frown

I know there are FoLCs in that region - Jen, Shelley, Forrest, Marilyn and more. CC in Georgia. Please, please check in to let us know you're safe. I know some of you won't have internet access for a while - even if our friends are safe, there are over a million people in that region without electricity. If anyone else knows if any of our regulars who are in Katrina's path are safe, please post to tell us!

Wendy

Just a fly-by! *waves*
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
This is very sad. So much destruction! frown

I hope all FoLCs and their families in this area are safe.

Tricia

A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
I hope everyone will be alright.

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Top Banana
Top Banana
After flickering off and on most of yesterday, we got our power back this morning. And our first real chance to look at the news and see what had happened.

God, my heart hurts.

Georgia had seven spun-off tornadoes- the kind hurricanes throw that come out of nowhere, little to no warning. Our small town had two within fifteen minutes of each other. We had just gotten the all-clear for the first, only to go running back for cover. Because of the rivers, we always fear flash flooding- but there was none of that this time. We are lucky- so very lucky- considering our neighbors to the south.

I spent four years in Biloxi, Mississippi- the first place we were ever stationed when my husband was active duty military. It's funny, because I was a city girl, born and bred. And when I heard *where* we were being sent and for how long, I could not believe life could be so cruel. Of all the places we were eligible for, Biloxi was absolutely last on my list . A sleepy little coastal town- and it was far sleepier before the gaming industry moved in- where I was certain I would wither away from sheer boredom.

I went kicking and screaming. But I wasn't there twenty-four hours before I fell completely, totally in love with it. That instant feeling of *belonging* the very first night we were driving around to get acquainted- windows down, moon on the water, breeze blowing in- is one of the biggest surprises I've ever received. I had spent 26 years in the city, never knowing home was waiting for me in tiny, hot, laid-back Biloxi.

Four years later I left... kicking and screaming.

This won't mean anything to anyone who hasn't been- and I'm so sorry for this long ramble; I've been glued to the news this morning and it just hasn't soaked in- everything south of the train tracks is gone. Miles and miles erased. The antebellum homes. The old churches. The flags. The little apartments we all stayed in until we could get housing on base. The base houses gone, too. The old fashioned McDonalds where I abandoned years of being a vegetarian. The Ocean Springs bridge. I haven't heard the fate of the lighthouse;I have this ridiculous hope it still stands.

Most of all, the loss of life. In the hundreds. Possibly, probably more.

I can hardly wrap my brain around the scale of it. The tragedy of it. It will be months before anything approaching normal can begin to emerge there.

My apologies for how long and maudlin this is. It's raw and I know I'm blurting this out thoughtlessly.

Jen, when you see this, could you drop me a line and let me know you're ok? I know you aren't far from there and I'm worried about you.

CC

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
Merriwether
Merriwether
*hug*

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
Last we heard from Jen was that she was waiting for the evacuation prompt before she went to her parents' house... Not sure where that is, but I'm assuming far enough away from too much danger.

So very glad to hear you and your family are all right, CC! (((((CC)))))

I hope the rest of the Gulf Coast FoLCs are okay, too. You're all in my thoughts.

Sara

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
šŸ†2024 Kerth Award Posts šŸ†.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'm so sorry for your loss, CC, and for everyone else in such a tragic situation. It is a disaster on so many levels. frown Here's hoping that Washington pile in as much resources as are necessary to restore these towns and their people as much as is possible, as quickly as is possible.

LabRat

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
CC, thank you for checking in! I've been watching the news and listening out for place-names in Georgia, where the tornadoes struck, hoping to hear something to tell me that your area was okay. I hope you haven't suffered too much damage or loss of property.

I don't know any of the Gulf Coast towns and cities, and my heart has been aching ever since watching the first news broadcast after Katrina made landfall. I can only imagine how much more heartbreaking it is for those who know those places. Who've lived there. Who still live there. It is agonising to watch. Even more so now when we're hearing projected death tolls which put this disaster on a scale approaching 9/11.

Potentially hundreds dead in coastal Mississippi. We don't know how many in Alabama - fewer, far fewer, we hope. But New Orleans and the surrounding region... just an hour or so ago the New Orleans mayor said that the numbers dead could rise to as many as a thousand or more. Other experts - police, medics, the media - seem to expect more. mecry

Words fail me - except to say that I hope more of you FoLCs from that region will be able to report in soon and let us know that you're safe and well. Jen, Forest, Marilyn, if you're out there please let us know.

And if there are any ways in which we can help any of you who suffered loss or damage, please tell us.

Wendy

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Top Banana
Top Banana
{{{CC}}}

Thanks for checking in, though. Been thinking about you the past few days and wondering if you're okay. Clearly you're not totally okay, but at least you're safe. smile

Yvonne

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
CC!! (((((CC))))) Damn, been laying low off the boards with visiting in-laws and writer's block but I checked it out today, I should have earlier, I knew Georgia's gonna get some of that weather. Keep in safe places with your head covered!

Damn and Biloxi!! Did they say anything about Keesler yet?!!?! It was so close to the beach, we could walk from the base to the beach and there was a little Baptist church right next to the base I used to attend, and the Cinema Tavern, the Mall, and the Pink Flamingo??? I haven't been watching much news but is that area hit bad??!!

I didn't fall in love with Biloxi like you did, my stint there was only nine months, but it was my first time away from home and I had a lot of good memories there, damn, and now it may be gone. Freakin' crazy this disaster! AND JEN'S DOWN THERE???!!! did I read that right??!!! WHO ELSE?? has everybody checked in yet, at least via email or phone??

TJ

Top Banana
Top Banana
I still can't seem to wrap my mind around the scope of this disaster. The stories are just heartbreaking. Whole cities GONE and these families that have lost everything they called their own..I just get overwhelmed with sadness!

Big hugs to you ((((CC)))), these losses are almost too hard to bear. My thoughts are with you and I pray that all our friends are safe.

~Liz frown

Lois: Can I go?
Clark: No.
Lois: Oh come on, Clark, why do we go through this? We both know Iā€™m going to go.
Clark: Then why do you ask?
Lois: Iā€™m trying to be nice.
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
TJ, as far as I can work it out, the roundup of those we know about from the Gulf Coast states are:

• JenD, aka Shadow, who's in Gulf Coast, Alabama. She posted before the hurricane struck that she was maybe going to evacuate. She hasn't been heard from here since.
  • Forest, aka TagsNOLA, a guy from New Orleans who comes on IRC and has very, very occasionally posted on the boards. We don't see him much, but he certainly lives in New Orleans. No sign of him since the weekend.
  • I know Marilyn lives in Alabama, but have no idea where or if she's anywhere near the hurricane-affected areas. Still, she hasn't posted anything since before the hurricane.

ShelleyEm from southern Louisiana, who we were concerned about, posted in the other Katrina thread to say that she's fine. So glad to hear that, Shelley! And, of course, CC - any other Georgia/tornado-area FoLCs out there?

There are probably more FoLCs in the Gulf Coast area - these are just the ones I know of. If anyone has any information, please let us know! We know that there are millions still without electricity and phone-lines in that part of the US, even in areas where Katrina did no real damage, so people may be perfectly fine and just not able to get online. At least, I hope so. sad

Wendy

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Update: we got news on Forest. He evacuated from New Orleans before the weekend and is safe and well. His home is seemingly in the one place that is still dry, but he's been told that the whole street of houses has lost their roofs and perhaps have been looted. frown

But at least he's alive, and we're very glad to hear that, Forest! thumbsup

Thanks, Jenni, for passing on the news.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oh, that is good to hear. I hope you find when you get home that it's not too badly damaged, Forest.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hey guys,

Barely any internet time, just wanted to say I'm ok. I'm in Norcross, GA and will try to come back home Sunday

Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Merriwether
Merriwether
*very relieved* Stay safe, Jen!

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Top Banana
Top Banana
Jen and Forest, I'm so glad you're safe! hugs

simona smile

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thank heavens, Jen. I was beginning to get worried about you. Hope things aren't too bad when you get home.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
JEN!! So glad to know you're safe!! Keep us posted.

TEEEEEJ

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thanks for checking in, Jen -- we've been worried about you.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard