Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Kaethel Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Nan, I've got a question for you. I'm midly allergic to Kalypso, which is driving me nuts because I had no reaction whatsoever to Wendy's or Annette's cats. Is it likely to calm down as I get more exposed to her? It's really worrying me at the moment because when I stay around her too much my eyes start burning and I sneeze. frown I'm also thinking of getting an air-purifier to help with things.

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
There are things that you can do to minimmize your allergic reactions to Kalypso that you might want to try before giving up on her. For one thing, giving her a bath every week is supposed to help a lot. Also, depending on the layout of your home, you should consider keeping her out of your bedroom. Having an allergen-free place to sleep will make life *much* easier. You may also want to try the air purifier you mentioned. I found some websites you can look at with other information:

http://www.foxvalleypets.org/cats/?details=25&page=378

http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/allergies_to_pets/index.html

From a personal viewpoint, I'd also say to minimize letting your cat rub up against your face or neck. Try to keep contact away from your face, and wash your hands after you've been playing with her or petting her. The first week I had my cat, I thought I was allergic to her, and I'd never shown any symptoms of allergies to a cat before. It turned out, I realized, that I was simply letting her get in my face too much, and I was actually having trouble with the fur (rather than dander, which is what people are allergic to). However, since the dander is in the fur, it should be a good idea to keep her away from your face anyway.

Top Banana
Top Banana
You do, however, tend to react less to your own cat than someone else's. The reason is simple. Living with your own cat, you develop some resistence to the dander.
I'll agree with that. I have a mild allergy, and when I got my cat I was worried because I had reactions to her (runny nose, burning eyes). I dealt with that by not rubbing my eyes when they hurt and washing my hands as often as possible. I barely get anything from her anymore. We got her almost two months ago.

Julie smile

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
I can give you some basic advice, some of which Meerkat and Julie have already given you. Don't let Kalypso in your bedroom for starters. Kitties love to sleep on pillows, as I'm sure you know. When you pet her, don't rub your eyes or nose until you've washed your hands. If your eyes start to itch, splash clear, cool water into them to rinse away the allergens. Having otc allergy pills around is a good idea for those occasions when the allergies won't quit. That should happen less and less the longer you have her.

An air purifer is probably a very good idea, and try to keep her away from your face. It's the dander on the fur that is the cause of the allergy.

If she'll put up with a bath, that is probably the best idea of all, as it washes away the dander that is the cause of the allergy, however that all depends on whether your kitty will let you wash her. Cats and baths usually don't mix, although I have known cats to put up with it if they're started young. In any case, common sense is probably your best ally. You're getting hay fever from contact with cat dander, so minimize the contact with cat dander.

I discovered my allergy to cats very early, but I have had cats all my life. I'm also allergic to dogs and birds. You guessed it <g>; I have a parakeet and 4 dogs (3 of them belong to other people, but I doubt they'll ever come get them, except possibly for the Siberian husky, who sheds like there's no tomorrow, 12 months of the year here in Southern California). The longer I have had them the more automatic my coping strategies have become, and the less trouble I have had with allergies. As long as it's only a mild allergy, you can probably figure out the best way to handle the allergy and still keep your kitty.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Kaethel Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Thanks for the tips, guys. smile Kaly definitely stays out of my bedroom, and I got into the habit of vacuum-cleaning the apartment a lot more often (every couple of days at least). Also, I might be getting used to her because it seems to be getting better. smile I'm not sure yet I'll give her regular baths like one of the websites suggest, as she doesn't enjoy them. frown But we'll see how it goes.

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Have you put a flea collar on her? There's one brand that I cannot use because the smell makes my eyes water.

P.S. I thought Wendy's cat was named Scrabble.

Marilyn
Check out our blog at www.writingplayground.blogspot.com
Columnist
Columnist
Marilyn,

Scrabble passed away, unfortunately. However, Wendy now has an adorable cat named Puzzle. She's definitely got major personality and charm. I don't think Wendy will debate the fact that Puzzle has her and her husband wrapped around one of her tiny paws! laugh

Irene

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Once a month treatment with Advantage or a similar product is now recommended instead of a flea collar. Advantage works systemically and kills any flea that bites your cat. It's the best way to keep your cat and home free of fleas. Just be sure the label says the medication is for cats. Some dog products for flea control are toxic to cats.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Thanks for that info on the once-a-month treatments. I'll have to check into that, though since we moved our older kitty (12 years old) hardly goes outside anymore. The younger kitty (a mere youngster at age 5) does and so far we've not had a problem with fleas or ticks.

I'm so sorry to hear about Scrabble. Cats most definitely become members of the family and their passing is felt deeply.

Marilyn
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thanks, Marilyn. Yes, when she died it was a terrible shock and very upsetting - but she was old (at least 17) and in ill-health. She was unlikely to have survived our move to Canada a few months after she died and we'd have had to consider alternatives.

Our new owner and commander wink is Puzzle:

[img]http://images2.fotki.com/v11/photos/1/11220/2151489/IMGP0557-vi.jpg?500375[/img]

[Linked Image]

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Our new owner and commander
Ain't that the truth? laugh

I don't own my cats. They just let me live in the same house with them. laugh

Marilyn
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter