Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Kaethel Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hey all smile

Now that I'm back in France and know for sure that I'm not allergic to cats after all (having lived around Wendy's adorable Puzzle without sneezing even once), I'm looking into getting a cat. I'd like a female no older than 5 or 6 months old, and I'm going to visit the local refuge tomorrow afternoon. However, if you have any piece of advice / recommendation / anything you can think of that I might overlook for my new companion (such as questions to ask before I adopt her or anything like that), let me know.

I do have one question of my own, actually. Is it better to look for a cat from a refuge or look for stuff in the local paper? Or does it matter at all? My reasoning for going to the refuge is that I know the vet who takes care of the cats there and she's really fantastic. But maybe there are drawbacks I haven't thought of.

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
Columnist
Columnist
Hey K! laugh

Personally, I think a refuge (or shelter here in Canada) is the best idea. It's not necessarily cheaper, because there are fees involved but you're rescuing an unwanted animal.

Also, when you get a kitten from a refuge, it will have been thoroughly checked, in this case by a vet you know and trust, and because it has interacted with staff and vet, they can give you information about the animal's personality.

Post pictures as soon as you can!!

Irene laugh

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Also, a cat from a shelter will have had all her vaccinations by the time you get her. It's not always that easy to know if a cat being sold/given away privately has had the necessary injections, unless the owner is very conscientious and has all the paperwork to prove it.

Also, a shelter will routinely spay all animals old enough to be spayed - another benefit, and something which will save you money if you get a cat old enough to have been spayed.

Happy hunting! And, yes, pictures demanded! goofy

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Years ago, it was the done thing to get your dog or cat from an ad in the local paper and no one thought anything of it. These days, with puppy and kitten farms around, it's not a route I'd really recommend. It has too many risks, I think.

So I'd say the best thing is a shelter, too. Especially if you're not looking for a specific breed or pedigree or something you can show, but just a companion. smile

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I don't know about cats or pets in France, but we get our dogs through an adoption agency. They find people who have to give up their pets for one reason or another (they're moving, they can't afford to keep the dog anymore, one of the kids has developed severe allergies, etc) and match them up with people looking for pets. We had to fill out a profile and have interviews and all sorts of stuff.

There are orginizations devoted to general pet adoption and even some dedicated to specific breeds. Most are local, though they sometimes work together.

We got our last dog through our local Golden Retriever agency . We got a good, loving, healthy dog who was already past the crazed puppy stage and already housebroken. The family we adopted her from got the security of knowing that their beloved pet was going to a good home with a family who would care for her well.

We have also adopted through a shelter, but the dog we got was from a family who was considering giving their dog to the shelter.

We've also considered websites such as Petfinder , but never really got too far with them. Worth a try, though.

Like I said, I'm not sure how it works in France, but I wouldn't be surprised to discover that there were similar websites and agencies. You still get a pet in need of a home (rather than buying one from a breeder or a pet store), but you don't have to worry quite as much about the health risks in a shelter.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
The one thing I'd warn you about is that you can be allergic to some cats and not others. mad

I've grown up with cats and dogs and mice and rats and hamsters and gerbils and rabits and guinea pigs, so I never thought I'd be allergic to small furry things. But I moved in with my housemate and her cat a year ago and I found that I'm allergic to this particular cat. Only slightly, so I can live with it. But it was a bit of a shock. eek

So I would see if they will take the cat back if there are problems. This is probably the advantage of a rescue centre over a breeder. I know it's hard if you have a bond with a little one and then have to take it back, but it's better for you both in the long run.

Most of our pets (all the dogs and cats, the rats, and some of the rabits and hamsters) came from rescue centres, or where aquired by us because they didn't have anywhere else to go (you develop a bit of a reputation for therse things if you're not careful laugh ). There's too many unwanted pets out there, and in the UK at least, too many unscrupulous breeders. I wouldn't consider going anywhere else.

I would make sure you've got a couple of days where you can be at home all day to make sure you can settle the cat in properly. In the UK rescue centres do home visits to make sure you're suitable. I've no idea if they do the same in France. All they really want to make sure is that you understand the responsibilities, that your house is suitable (i.e. you're not going to try and fit an Irish Wolfhound into a 1 bedroom 4th floor flat...), and that you know how to care for your pet properly.

Oh, and in the UK rescue centres they spay/neuter all cats and dogs before they are rehomed. I don't know if they do the same in France, but if they don't, have it done anyway. As they used to tell us in Sex-ed, it only has to happen once....

Helga

Knowledge is knowing that tomatoes are a fruit.

Intelligence is not putting them in a fruit salad.
Kaethel Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Helga, I know that and it's one particular concern I have. I'm feeling a bit better about it as I spent time with three other cats over the past couple of months, and I didn't have any allergic reaction to them. However, I'm looking into getting an air purifier (I actually noticed a difference last night, as I've lived with one for the past month and was suddenly deprived when I got home), which will help as well.

I'll get my little cat spayed as soon as she's old enough. And I think you all confirmed that it's better to go to a shelter, so I'll pay them a visit tomorrow, see what they have. Who knows? Maybe I'll come back with someone to introduce to you all! smile

Kaethel smile

- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The one bit of advice I have is that you should *not* get a cat de-clawed. The first cat I had, I de-clawed; without her natural defenses, she felt more vulnerable (or that's how it looked from where I was smile ) and when she got ticked, she bit people. In a properly trained cat, claws aren't a problem, so I think it's best to leave them intact.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Kaethel Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
No worry there, Pam. Declawing is out of the question as far as I'm concerned. It's really not a common thing to do on this side of the Atlantic anyway. smile

Kaethel smile

- Is that what we are?

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I suspected it might not be an issue with you, Kae, but it might help other people who read the thread, so I figured I should post anyway. smile That'll have to be my soap-box moment for the day goofy

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Merriwether
Merriwether
I'd almost agree with that, but my cat was biting before I got him declawed. I've been threatening him with a teeth pulling. (Okay, I'd never do it, but what he doesn't know....)

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
If you have trouble with your cat scratching or tearing at things and she/he has claws, you can try "nail caps." I've found them to help a lot with the clawing problems we were having. Keeping the nails trimmed helped, but not entirely. You can get nail caps at places like Petsmart or probably other pet-supply places.

I got my cat from the SPCA, so I guess that counts as a shelter. I wasn't as thrilled with the pets at animal control, you couldn't get to know them as well before taking one home. But rescue groups do what they do because they love pets, so they generally take good care of them and do their best to make sure their pets go to good homes.

K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
Helga has a point. I had a friend that was allergic to long-haired cats, but not short or medium-haired cats. No clue why. huh But I'd say since Puzzle is a short(medium?)-haired cat, you'd be safe with that. smile Not sure what the other cats were.

Congrats on deciding to get a new family member!!!

Sara smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I'm cat fanatic. Devon and Cornish Rexes are also known to be kind on those who are allergic to cats. But those are pure bread cats, they might be a bit expensive, unless you ask for "Pet Quality" types.

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Yeah as Kitty said if you can afford it, you should look into getting a devon rex. My cat is a devon rex and he is the best cat in the whole entire world smile

de-claw
*gasp* omg so wrong! I can't believe people (just Americans??) do this to their cats.

Avatar: Michael Clarke, awesome Aussie cricket player
Kaethel Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Well, here you go. Meet Kalypso:

[img]http://images10.fotki.com/v208/photos/1/11220/2547172/DSC02367-vi.jpg?500375[/img]

She's 3 months old and she's adorable. sloppy Very cuddly, very sweet, lots of purrs and kisses. I just love her! And she loves the boards. laugh

Kaethel smile

- Is that what we are?

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
De-Clawed! That's like humans without their fingernail or toe nail. There is so many articles against it. It even tells of cats who can't walk on some surfaces once declawed. [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Merriwether
Merriwether
When it's a choice between their claws or your skin... *shrug* I don't care about the furniture, but bleeding once a week isn't my idea of fun.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
awww she rocks Kaethel! And I love the name!

Avatar: Michael Clarke, awesome Aussie cricket player
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
As one who is allergic to cats (and owns several) I can tell you about the long haired vs short haired thing when it comes to allergies. According to my allergist, there is no such thing. If you are allergic to long haired cats, you are allergic to short haired cats. It's the dander, not the hair. The reason long haired cats produce more symptoms is that all that hair traps dander better, and therefore you react more violently.

You do, however, tend to react less to your own cat than someone else's. The reason is simple. Living with your own cat, you develop some resistence to the dander. The principle is the same as for persons who get allergy shots.

Nan

P.S. That's an adorable kitten. thumbsup

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard