Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#204328 08/12/05 08:46 AM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I did an update on my computer today and all of a sudden I seem to have Outlook available. I've been using Outlook Express for my email for years, but I'm wondering if I should change that. Are there any benefits or drawbacks to switching over?

I looked in Outlook and it seems to be designed more for people in offices than stay-at-home moms, but I suppose it could be customized to some degree... and I could use a calendar program.

Any thoughts?

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I tried out Outlook at one point, but it just seemed to me that the only difference between it and OE was that Outlook had a lot of features I didn't really need or want to use. So I went back to Outlook Express and was perfectly happy.

LabRat (who says Pam should ditch both and try Mozilla Thunderbird instead <g>)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
A
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
A
Agreed -- Thunderbird for e-mail. But anyway....

Outlook can be really handy in an office environment, because it supports a lot of shared stuff. If all you want is e-mail, it's massive overkill. It can be a good calendar program, though -- that's the main reason I used it for as long as I did. Now my life is quasi-simple enough that I just don't use a calendar program anymore. ;-)

Features Writer
Features Writer
I switched one of my AOL accounts over to Outlook several months ago because I finally able to get a hold of copy of that program that actually worked!

I love using it because of the Calendar feature and the tasks feature. I like having everything outlined for me at my fingertips.

It's also very helpful for businesses. I run an amateur fan magazine for Lord of the Rings, so it helps me keep track of orders, payments, submissions etc.

My advice is use it if you really feel it will help you. You don't neccesary need to run a business in order to benefit from it.

Merriwether
Merriwether
Originally posted by archbish99:
Outlook can be really handy in an office environment, because it supports a lot of shared stuff.
How do I learn more about this? I want to be able to share (or transfer) the contents of my contact list (and maybe my calendar) to another user on the same network. How do I do that?

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
A
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
A
Hmm.... Mostly, when I've used that part, there's been a company-run server for the addresses. I think there's a way to export some of that -- a PST file, I think? It's been a while since I've had Outlook.

Features Writer
Features Writer
There was a class at the community college I earned my Office Assistant and Communications Assistant certificates. Unfortunately, I just finished them up, so I won't be able to take that class. Part of me wishes I did because I probably could've answered your question. dizzy

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
The change from OE to O is pretty easy and doesn't require much knowledge and work. But if you ever want to take the step back to OE, don't ever think about using O at all.

I use Outlook at work and TheBat! as a worthy alternative at home. In my opinion, you should better keep using the free Express version since it's as safe as the commercial one and the most basic features are available as well. What makes Outlook a great eMail client - despite all of Microsoft's security leaks - is the symbiosis of several features like said dayplanner/calendar with an eMail client.

... but can (need?) you use all that as a stay-at-home mom?

A
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
A
Rivka,

It depends on what version of Outlook you have and whether your company runs Microsoft Exchange Server. With an Exchange server you can share info very easily. Without Exchange there are also ways to share but some are a bit clunky. IIRC, for versions of Outlook prior to Outlook 2000, you definitely need either Exchange or some third party plugin. I think there are ways to make Public folders without Exchange in all versions of Outlook from 2000 on.

Our office upgraded from Outlook 98 to 2003 with Exchange Server in March and most people in my office still have no idea how to use the public folders I set up (not for lack of trying to teach them confused ), but those who do use the sharing and public folders really like it.

AmyN

RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
My company of at least 8,000 employees just ditched our old calendaring program, Meeting Maker, and switched to Outlook. So most of us have switched to Outlook for email as well.

So far, it's been a complete disaster. Outlook is buggy, crashing on occasion. The calendaring has been terrible. People have ended up going to meetings that didn't exist, not going to meetings they were invited to because it didn't show up, missing meetings that were moved but not updated on anyone's calendar, and so on. At least Meeting Maker only crashed on us.

For home use, Outlook is even worse. I run multiple email accounts: 2 IMAP4 accounts, 1 POP3 account, and my work Exchange account. When the work account is set to automatically detect connection settings, Outlook locks up for about two minutes if I don't have VPN running and therefore can't find the Exchange server. So I have to sit there and wait forever before I can retrieve mail for my other accounts.

If I set my work email to work offline, SMTP stops working for all my other email accounts regardless of which SMTP server I'm using. Email I send will just sit in the outbox and will never be picked up.

Frankly, Outlook stinks. I've never tried OE, so I can't say anything about that.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
So far, it's been a complete disaster. Outlook is buggy, crashing on occasion. The calendaring has been terrible. People have ended up going to meetings that didn't exist, not going to meetings they were invited to because it didn't show up, missing meetings that were moved but not updated on anyone's calendar, and so on. At least Meeting Maker only crashed on us.
LOL. Bingeley Bingeley Beep? <g>

Sorry, just been re-reading some Terry Pratchett and couldn't help but be reminded here of Vimes's Disorganiser. goofy

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
A
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
A
I thought you couldn't have Exchange and IMAP active at the same time on Outlook? Or have they finally fixed that ridiculous "feature" in later versions?

Merriwether
Merriwether
AmyN, I am fairly certain we use Outlook 2000. As for Exchange . . . how would I figure out if we have that running? I know that we have something running that syncs files from my computer to the other computer I want to share this info with. But I wasn't the one who set it up (nor was I in the office at the time) so I don't know what program it is. (Having googled Exchange, I don't think that's it.)

Is this something that I, a fairly tech-savvy user but definitely NOT a pro, can safely try to set up myself?

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally posted by archbish99:
I thought you couldn't have Exchange and IMAP active at the same time on Outlook? Or have they finally fixed that ridiculous "feature" in later versions?
You cannot have two Exchange accounts running on Outlook 2003 but you can have as many IMAP accounts as you need coexisting with the single Exchange account.

Oh, one more bug that Outlook 2003 has. To log into the Exchange server, it requires my username/password for my work domain. Since my home machine is NOT on that domain, Outlook does something really stupid. Instead of caching the last username/password used for the Exchange account, it instead passes the default login name for the computer it resides on, i.e. my home computer's workgroup\username and password. Now how dumb is that? The consequence is that it ALWAYS asks me for the password for my work email because it tries the wrong authentication first. I confirmed this behavior with my work IT department as "normal behavior."

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally posted by rivka:
Is this something that I, a fairly tech-savvy user but definitely NOT a pro, can safely try to set up myself?
Are you trying to set up an Exchange server?

-- Roger

A
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
A
Rivka,

Try looking at this article http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=195867
If your company has Outlook set up in Internet Mail Only or Corporate or Workgroup mode, you should be able to create and use Net folders for sharing.

AmyN

Merriwether
Merriwether
Roger, I don't know. I don't think so?

AmyN, that looks like something I can do. (Not this week, as I'm taking off three days to move, but maybe next week.) I'll let you know after I try it -- thanks! smile

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Thanks for all the input, everybody; you've been very helpful. smile I don't really *need* anything Outlook can do, but I'm playing with the calendar & tasks features. I have a feeling I'll end up ditching it within a week, but who knows, maybe it will help me stay organized. My e-mail, however, is staying in Outlook Express.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Merriwether
Merriwether
Originally posted by rivka:
AmyN, that looks like something I can do. (Not this week, as I'm taking off three days to move, but maybe next week.) I'll let you know after I try it -- thanks! smile
Ok, so it actually took about 6 weeks. The beginning of the school year is just a tad busy . . .

Anyway, it didn't work. Apparently we have Outlook 2003, and Net Folders are not supported past Outlook 2000.

Any other alternatives?

- Under the Tuscan Sun
A
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
A
Without Exchange Server it is much harder to share info in Outlook 2003 razz . There are ways -- you can export data from one pst to another or use third party solutions. I suggest you check out the following site: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm for info on options available.

Good Luck. thumbsup

AmyN

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard