Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
avia Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
RL has been hectic, in a good way, and now I'm starting to plan my parents summer vacation.

I saw a great deal for a flight to Ireland and thought that might be fun.

What I'm looking for are recommendations for events and places to visit at the start of July (July 5th to July 10th).

I prefer not to have my father drive on the 'wrong' side of the road so all sites/events should be accessible by public transportation.

Any other thoughts and comments are very much appreciated! smile

Avia

"I get it, you're a ghost. You're dead. Big accomplishment, move on. You see a light anywhere? Go towards it okay?"

Cordelia in 'Rm w/a Vu' - Angel episode 1x05
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Where in Ireland? Dublin or Shannon?

If you're flying to Dublin, you've got everything right there, all accessible by public transport. Right from the airport, there's a bus which takes you directly to the city centre, or you can take taxis (just to let you know, where the bus ends up isn't a very nice part of the city. Not dangerous, as such; just a bit run-down, though it's being renovated. A taxi from the airport to the city centre will cost you around €20).

A week or so ago, I put together a list of things to do and places to go in and around Dublin for someone else who might be going there. Since I still have the email, I'll forward it on to you. It's got lots of websites for the places I was mentioning - museums, tours, sightseeing - as well as for the Irish Tourist Board. Dublin's a beautiful city, with a lot of history and also a lot of modern, cosmopolitan life, including nightlife. Music, art, history, theatre, cinema, pubs, shopping, scenery, friendly people - it's got it all. smile

Public transport is okay. There are buses all around the city, and you'll get route maps from hotels, the tourist office (which is right on O'Connell St, in the middle of the city), newsagents and from Dublin Bus itself (also on O'Connell St). There's also the Dart - light railway - which runs around Dublin Bay; terrific views. Lots of taxis, too, and they're not rip-off prices.

Email will be on its way in a minute or two. Have a terrific time! Oh, and if it's Shannon you're going to, talk to Sara/Sorcha; she's from that general area of the country, while I'm from Dublin.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
avia Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Thanks for the quick reply Wendy!

Dublin it'll be, if it is Ireland. smile

Looking forward to reading the e-mail. thumbsup

Avia

"I get it, you're a ghost. You're dead. Big accomplishment, move on. You see a light anywhere? Go towards it okay?"

Top Banana
Top Banana
Avia, I envy you!! I'd love to see Ireland someday. smile

One thing I wanted to comment on is the driving. Last year when my parents and I went to England, the three of us were rather worried about having to drive on the left side of the road. But I can tell you it turned out much easier than I'd expected. The first few hours of driving, it feels a bit funny and you need to pay attention more than you would when you drive on your usual side, but after that, it becomes totally natural. Everything is logical and it's very hard to end up driving on the right by mistake. Plus, I don't know about Irish drivers, but English ones were particularly nice and patient, letting you go first when you want to take over a car and so on. thumbsup

And, more than that, *no* tailgaiting. It was heaven. smile

Kaethel smile (who drives in a country where tailgating and beyond-the-speed-limit-driving is a national sport :p )

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
absolutely Gallway and the Iran Island(but I don't remember if it is written correctly); I went there two years ago and it was suberb...Dublin is a very nice city.. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun

the greatest thing you ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Driving in Ireland... as one who's recently switched from driving on the left to driving on the right, it's really not that difficult. Okay, you have to think when turning into roads, but that's about it.

Do not drive around Dublin. Way too much traffic, parking is a nightmare and very expensive, lots of bad driving. Outside Dublin, if you did want to get around a bit, there are (now) some good motorways. Watch the main roads which aren't motorways, though. By that I mean the single-carriageway major roads. People drive stupidly on those roads - overtaking in crazy, lunatic situations. The last time we drove on main roads outside Dublin, we saw at least a dozen incidents which left us shaking our heads and wondering how the drivers were still alive. razz

Lolly's right: Galway is beautiful. It's about a four-hour drive from Dublin, but there's also a reasonably good rail service there, and the city centre is compact - you don't need a car to get around. Outside Galway you have Connemara - rugged, bleak but beautiful countryside, lakes, the sea, traditional crafts such as silver jewellery in Celtic patterns and Connemara marble.

Once you cross the Shannon, the quality of the roads deteriorates. Markedly. Pothole country. wink So be warned!

Anyway, hope you have a terrific time! Check out the tourist board ahead of time - there might be some specific events going on around the time you're visiting which would be worth going to.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
And, more than that, *no* tailgaiting.
LOL, H - I think you must just have been incredibly lucky. Yesterday, Stuart and I went for a drive for the day around the Scottish countryside and the only mild irritant to the day was the number of drivers wanting to speed through it and tailgating us because we were in no hurry. Stuart had to pull over to the side of the road more than once to let them go ahead and get the hell out of our way and leave us to the peace and quiet.

Course...maybe they were French tourists. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Okay, I was debating about whether or not to post here, since I know less than nothing about touring Dublin [though I can't recommend the city high enough - absolutely love it smile ] and you didn't ask about any other part of the country :p but what the heck.

If you're going to be down around the south end of the country at all - ie Clare, Limerick [Shannon Airport being in Clare, which is right beside Limerick], then I would definitely recommend a day in the Burren - especially if you're into wildlife and flowers and such smile Try the Tourist Centre at Kilfenora, the sand dunes on the beach at Fanore, and the highlight of the whole trip; Aillwee Cave. It's a great day out, just remember not to pick the flowers - because of the unique landscaping, not only do Irish plants grow there, but also Mediterranean and Alpine ones, and the government here don't like people picking them. Around that region also are the beautiful cliffs of Moher [which, if you're interested, were featured in the Westlife video for "My Love" ] and, if you like the beach, Lahinch has one of the nicest around. Liscannor is a lovely town, as well as Lisdoonvarna.

As for the rest of Munster; Killarney (in County Kerry) is always beautiful at this time of the year, especially the lakes and the Ring of Kerry - a drive which takes you past some breathtaking scenery smile Mucrós or Muckross House and Gardens are always worth a visit; that's also in Killarney. Dingle, in Co. Kerry, reachable by the scenic Connor Pass, has its own claim to fame as well - Fungi, Ireland's favourite dolphin, is a resident at the sea there, and is reachable by boat, although I'm not sure if he's been around lately. There's also a wonderful aquarium. Ballybunion is a gorgeous beach, if that's what you're into, but three words of advice; Bring An Umbrella <g>.

Cork is the largest county in Ireland, and I just adore the city smile Foto Island, also in Cork, is a wonderful wildlife park.

Closer to home for me, Limerick is a great city; King John's Castle is definitely worth a visit, and a bit further out, nearer Shannon Airport, Bunratty Castle and Folk Village [which are actually in Clare, come to think] which you *have* to see <g>. For shopping and the like, I'd recommend the Crescent Shopping Centre, Dooradoyle, "for all your shopping needs" wink Much as I cringe to say it, I wouldn't recommend Tipperary as a tourist hot-spot at all... nothign here remotely worth seeing. Read; field, tree, cow, person, in that order <g>

Quick warning; the weather in Ireland is notoriously changeable. It's great at the moment - the sun is splitting the rocks and it hasn't rained in days - but this could change in the blink of an eye. So be careful you don't get caught out with rain or cold temperatures frown

That's really all I can think of at the moment, Avia - hope this information was/will be somewhat useful, and I really hope you enjoy your stay here! An early failté romhat to you <g>. And do please remember to post or email and tell me how it went! May the road rise to meet you wink

Sara smile [who refuses to comment on the state of the roads, or Irish drivers, come to think <g>]

Death: Easy, Bill. You'll give yourself a heart attack and ruin my vacation.

Meet Joe Black
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
And the Corrs are from around there.

Tank (who thinks that the band is probably still out on tour though)

avia Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
I want to say thank you to everyone for all the great information.

My parents flew to Dublin yesterday and enjoyed their first day in the city very much.

They're looking forward to their bus trip tomorrow and to the rest of their trip.

Thanks again for all the recommendations, you guys are the best!

Avia

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
you're welcome!! laugh

the greatest thing you ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard